close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SM Stirling - some spoilers

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Glenn E. Meyer, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

I really enjoyed the Island in the Sea of Time series. I thought the use of firearms was quite thoughtful as the Natucket folks had to reinvent firearms. I once talked to Stirling and told him that Texas wouldn't have turned in their firearms so they could be destroyed in a fire. He ackknowledged that was a plot device to eliminate most of the available modern firearms.

He has a new series out about the US where the same event that displace Nantucket leaves the world with a changed physics that disrupts electricity and gunpowder. Waiting to see the reviews or get it from the library.

2. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I read the cult classic Drakon by Stirling and then picked up his alternate history Island In The Sea Of Time. While I enjoyed the novel idea of Nantucket being slung into the past, I found the lesbian main characters and error ridden plot to really detract from my overall enjoyment of the story. I think it should have been longer and more developed/researched. I think he easily has a good future in alternate history and would like to see more work in the future.

3. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Stirling does have thing for lesbian characters. The Draka books had that also. Guess I was too dumb to pick up errors. One thing I like is that he killed Walker in a clever way. I had e-mailed after book 2 and said that, please, don't keep Walker around forever. And he killed him off.

I liked the Peshwar Lancers book. The USA gets clobbered but the alternate history is interesting. I'd like to see more of this story.

4. CVDean

CVDean

Yes, I think the Peshawar Lancers story was one of his best. Did anyone read Conquest? I just finished it in paperback, not a bad story.