close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slow Web Site

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by -, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Guest

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't help but notice how slow your website is. I use a hi speed DSL and "Glock Talk" is the only forum that reacts so slowly. It must be miserable for your dial up subscribers

2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Runs fine for me masterchief.

3. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Runs just fine for me too, and i'm on dialup!

4. Shady

Shady Under the tree

I've been seeing a serious performance decrease here as well...
    seems to be (guessing here)related to the new banner ad. The thing seems to spend an extra 6- 10 seconds loading it before the content of the page comes in.

I'm seeing it on my cable modem at home and my LAN connection at the office.

Might be less noticeable on dial up connections... if you're used to pages popping up virtually instantly a lag of a couple seconds might not show up so much.

5. Menehune

Menehune

Running slower for me also today. The banner background pops up, and then the ad, then the page. Takes about four seconds, where it was pretty much instant before.

6. ZigG17

ZigG17

I've been having the same issue for at least a week now.

At work on my 2000pro machine is loads very slow. (T1)

At home on my XPpro machine it not only loads slow but I get a script debug error everytime it finally loads the page. (Cable connection)

Not sure what is going on, but it makes surfing Glocktalk very agrevating.

Please help Eric!!

7. rotorhead

rotorhead

I'm also getting very slow page up/page down speed when viewing threads.Just me ot is it this site?;g

8. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

We are running out of bandwidth. I have already got two new T-1's set up and we will be transitioning to them in the next day or so. These problems should go away then. Eric

9. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

Eric,

What is bandwidth? Im confused on the whole thing.

Thanks and Take Care
    "duck"

10. Eric

Bandwidth - The range of frequencies, expressed in Kilobits per second, that can pass over a given data transmission channel within a frame relay network. The bandwidth determines the rate at which information can be sent through a channel - the greater the bandwidth, the more information that can be sent in a given amount of time. Usually measured in bits-per-second. A full page of English text is about 16,000 bits. A 56Kbs modem can easily move 16,000 bits in less than one second.

The connection I have currently is a single T-1 frame-relay connection. It allows 1.54mbs upload and 1.54mbs download, on two channels. The upload channel isn't working very hard, but the download channel is just about maxxed out.

The new T-1's are set up to load-balance each other, so we will be doubling our avilable bandwidth. The new T-1's are also point-to-point connections, which means that we have a dedicated pipe between us and our point-of-presence online. This should mean less network congestion to deal with. Also, the current T-1 is an AT&T line and I'm not happy with their service. The new T-1's are SBC lines and I've heard good things about them.

Bear with me for a couple of more days and the new lines will be online. Eric

11. troyboy30

troyboy30

only 1.54mbs download on 2 channels? wow, i get better than that out of my cable! keep up the good work eric.

12. Eric

No, it's 1.54 down and 1.54 up. This is the standard speed rating for a T-1 connection. However, The actual speeds are quite a bit better than that. The serial interface with my router is moving about 377kBS right now. That's kiloBYTES per second, not kiloBITS. There are 8 bits in a byte. Actually, there are nine bits: 8 Data bits and a parity bit. A T-1 is a pretty big pipe. Eric

13. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

;P ;P ;P

Im glad your takeing care of it.

Take Care
    "duck"

14. phorvick

phorvick

Not a co mplaint as this is THE board to use...but (and today is January 13, 2004) the connection speeds, have been very very slow. Using a DSL modem it might take 30-60 seconds at times. THis is a relatively new thing for me....no other web site (that I visit) is anywhere near this slow...just letting you know for reference and data purposes...

15. mindonmatter

mindonmatter Who.....me?

I don't understand why it's so slow for some people, especially those with broadband. I've never experienced any slow downs at all. It takes maybe 2 seconds for a page to load for me.

16. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

I notice that I really lag between 8:30 PM CT and 11:00 PM CT. Eric, is there anything we can do to help? Either an influx of $$$ to help with a new hardware/connection upgrade, or maybe a distributing computing option for the add engine?

Anything we can do?

17. Tvov

Tvov

I don't visit a lot of message boards, but this is the fastest by far. I'm amazed some people think it is slow, and I am on dialup. "Open Roads Forum", which I check out (I have a new travel trailer), has almost no advertisements but is a snail compared to this site, so I don't think it has to do with the advertisements.

Egyas:
    "I notice that I really lag between 8:30 PM CT and 11:00 PM CT."

I have noticed that also, but it is not just GT. I have always assumed it is just a busy time on the internet.