close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slow loads, 'site cannot be found' intermittent problems

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by WolfmanGK, Nov 29, 2003.

1. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

I know I am not the only one experiencing this- it seems that every once in a awhile the site just lags, maybe 3 minutes to go into reply mode, or to click a topic, and sometimes it takes so long it just times out. All of my other websites work fine, including other message boards. Just thought I'd let you know. It hasn't happened until Eric switched servers over Thanksgiving.

2. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

3. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

It's doing it again. It takes about 60 seconds to post a reply, and about 40 seconds to return to topic. Browsing is up to speed.

4. ZigG17

ZigG17

Same here. I have a fast cable modem and Glock Talk has been slow to load threads for the past several days.

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Guys, as I've said a couple of times now, I am re-indexing the search index. If I do not do so, it will not be possible to use the search feature. The system has to index more than 1 million messages and it takes a couple of days to run the program. I have been stopping it at night, when the server load gets high, so it is taking even longer. Once this process is done, everything should return to normal. I apologize for the inconvenience. Eric

6. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

Eric,
    Read your post of the last Thursday the 4th, however, today is Tuesday the 12th and I notice that it is still slow as molasses. I have DSL and all my other sites are fast loaders.

Is there still a problem with the site or should I call my DSL provider?

7. Eric

ColoradoGlocker, the servers are running great and everything is moving just fine. I don't think the problem is on my end.

Having DSL isn't always a majic bullet, when it comes to download times and latency issues. DSL systems are subject to network congestion and slowdowns just like any other network. My brother is on Comcast and it slows down pretty much every evening. Anyway, even if the slowdown isn't on your end, it could still be a problem somewhere between you and my servers, like a traffic jam between the start and end-point of a drive.

You might try running a trace route from your end, to see where the connection is slowing down. It is easy to do. If you are using a fairly modern version of Windows, look for a program called Command Prompt. You can find it at: Start -> Programs -> Accessories. If it isn't there, it might be in System Tools, under Accessories. Open the program and type the following, at the prompt: tracert glocktalk.com . This program will trace a path from your computer to my servers and give you route and speed info, for each leg of the trip. If you will run this and email me the results, I'll look into it. Thanks. Eric

8. Eric

I just attempted a traceroute to the ip number you posted with most recently and it did not complete. There are a number of legitimate reasons this might have occurred. You could already have been offline when I ran the traceroute and the ip was inactive, Comcast could be dropping icmp packets. I don't know. The times looked good up until the point that the route left AT&T's network. I don't have any control beyond that, directly or indirectly. Like I said, if you run traceroute, please mail me the results. Thanks. Eric

9. ColoradoGlocker

Eric,
    I ran the trace and emailed it to you.

BTW, I really enjoy GT. You have a great setup here.

10. Eric

I looked at the traceroute info and the numbers look good. There don't appear to be any bottlenecks anywhere. With those numbers, I don't understand why there are any slowdowns for you. Are you using an older computer? The Glock Talk software uses gzip compression to compress the data stream that is sent out to everyone. This uses less bandwidth and speeds up downloads. The user's browser then uncompresses the data and displays it for you. Older systems might take longer to uncompress the data. I'm not sure what else to tell you.

I have just gotten my two new T-1 lines set up and they will go online in the next week. Once they are online, the site's bandwidth will double and we will be off of AT&T's network and onto SBC Global's network. Once this change occurs, we'll see if your connectivity is better. Eric

11. ColoradoGlocker

My computer is a brand new Dell Dimension 2400 w/celeron processor at 2.4GHz and 512 MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz. I'm running Windows XP Home.

Thanks for the checkup. I'll see what happens next week when you go to the T-1s.