close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slow dial up connection

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Timothy658, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Timothy658

Timothy658

For some reason, the past week, my dial up internet connection has been pretty slow, and that is if it connects at all. Typically I get a connection at 45k, but lately it has been 38k at the most, and I do notice a performance degredation. The Device Manager says my modem is working properly, and I tried a new phone cord. I uninstalled my wal mart connect software, and reinstalled it. Still it is slow, and sometimes wont connect at all. Any ideas on what else I should try?

2. prism

prism more ammo

might be helpful to see if it is a slow connection to other ISPs, too.

get a free netzero account, for a backup account and for connection speed comparisons.

3. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

1. Do you have an anti-virus program installed? Have you updated it and ran a scan for viruses?

2. Have you checked for spyware lately? You can download a free spyware remover here... http://www.safer-networking.org/

4. jack19512

jack19512

I have dial-up also and have had times like that. Most of the time it has been my provider. Have you contacted your Internet service provider?

I have in the past called my telephone provider and they can run a check on my telephone line to see if there is any problem with it.

But, generally if the telephone doesn't have any static or other line noise it probably isn't a line problem.

5. Timothy658

Timothy658

I downloaded the free netzero account. I also did a virus scan, and nothing showed up. Also did a spyware scan, but the problem still persists. The telephone has no static or other line noise. How do I check the connection speed of the netzero account?

6. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

7. Timothy658

Timothy658

Ok, I did the bandwidth test while connected to netzero, and wal mart connect. The wal mart connect number was 26.5k bps, and the netzero number was 22.4k bps. No idea why they are so low. Any idea what I should look at next?

8. jack19512

jack19512

Have you had good connection speeds recently with the modem you have now? Is this a new modem or have you had it a while? Does your handshake sound the same as it use to? Just now when I connected to the Internet I connected at 28.8 kbps so I disconnected and tried again and got 50.6 kbps.

9. Timothy658

Timothy658

I havent had any trouble with this modem until now, but if I remember correctly, I did a bandwidth test a while back and it was the same number as this. The reason I was giving you a number of 38 K earlier, is because thats what Wal mart connect told me it was connected at. Then I did the test and it says 25k. Not sure what to think? It should be twice that fast. This is the original modem that came with the computer.

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Those online tests are normally going to give you a lower speed than your connection speed.If your ISP indicates a certain speed at a certain time than that's likely your true connection speed.Phonelines and inference have some effect on connection speed.The newer V92 modems tend to have low speed problems that require a bit of messing around with things to increase.More hardware and software info would help.Type of modem,operating system and info about your PC.I have DSL now but still keep a Net Zero account and work on dial up connection speed with it.

11. Timothy658

Timothy658

The modem is a conexant 56K ACLink DataFaxVoice modem, windows XP, AMD Duron 1.1GHZ processor, 256 mg RAM.

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I see Windows update has an update driver for that modem.It sometimes helps or sometimes causes problems.Usually helps.It may help to update or just reinstall the modem driver if it became corrupted.Check Windows update first.

13. Thirties

Thirties

Tim, has there been a lot of rain in your area? I find that when the phone lines outdoors get really wet, my line becomes noisy (clicks) which degrades your I-net connect speed, and the connection often gets dropped.

Just a thought, as this has happened to me at more than one location.

14. Timothy658

Timothy658

No rain here lately. Washington, I cant seem to find that windows update? I did go to microsoft's website, and had it check my system for available updates, and the only one that came up was for soemthing else. I may already have the driver update?

15. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yes if you ran Windows update,then you most likely already have the update.

16. Timothy658

Timothy658

Ok, I have tried dialing on a different phone number, and that SEEMS to have eliminated the no-connection problem, but the connection is still slow.

Let me add some stuff I found in event viewer that I dont normally see.....

Event ID 7034
    The Terminal Services service terminated unexpectadely. It has done this 1 time.

Event ID 7031
    The DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time. The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds. Reboot the machine.

Event ID 2504
    The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{74DBB97D-FFA5-4330-8F14-586E7CE93E13}

Event ID 20
    Printer Driver Amyuni Document Converter 2.50 for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files: acpdf250.dll, acpdfui250.dll, acfpdf.txt

Event ID 1
    \Device\ACPIEC: the embedded controller (EC) hardware didnt respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware, or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible.

Could any of these be my problem?

I took a look at where the phone line connects into the computer. In the jack next to the dial up jack, there are several thin pieces of metal that form the connection with the cable. They are all very straight, and they all look to be there. When I take a look at the jack where the phone line for my dial up goes to, there are only 2 thin pieces of metal to form the connection for the cable, and they look kind of mangled. They arent straight, but bent up. Could this be another possibility for my slow connection? Is there any way to fix that?

17. Bronson7

Bronson7

I installed a modem update from Windows Update, and it slowed my connect speed down. What I ended up doing was I removed all the drivers and re-installed the the drivers that came with the modem. All was well again. I've had nothing but bad luck letting Windows Update install drivers. I don't think they install correctly using that method. Try what I said and see if it helps. Easy to do/undo.
    Bronson7

18. Pistol

Pistol Patriot Member

Timothy
    The bent pins and other physical connections may need to be checked if the driver changes do not correct it.

You have the following involved:
    -Software to run the modem
    -The modem itself (they do go intermittent and can fail)
    -The physical wire through your home and over the lines (anything corroded? loose fitting? There are only 2 center pins needed, but they need good contact.
    -The modems at your ISP, not likely they are all bad, but you can have a slow phone system on that end too, but not on 2 separate ISP.

Running a modem on a phone line will show all defects in circuits and is demanding on a voice system. So any degrading of phone sytem performance will show.

soooo just take it one at a time in the process of elimination.

19. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I suggest removing the modem physically and putting it into a different PCI slot. XP will want to install it as if it had never been installed before, and in this way you can see if the M$ B$ driver update was really the cause.

BTW, the reason M$ driver updates b0rk systems is because of your AV app. The files and .dll's don't end up going to the right spots in the OS when the AV is running.

Long story short: NEVER install anything over the Web if you can help it; put the installer on your desktop, set a Restore point in System Tools> System Restore, and reboot. Then disable the AV app and everything else you have starting with Windows before you run the executable file.

That will go a looooong ways towards keeping this from happening again, for sure.

Good luck.