Slow dial up connection

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Timothy658, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Timothy658

Timothy658

For some reason my dial up connection is only 30-33K based on the bandwidth test on cnet.com. I was also getting somewhat frequent disconnects, so I switched to a different isp, but it still occurs. Does anyone have an idea as to why my dial up connection would be so slow? It doesnt bother me enough to switch to DSL or roadrunner, but if its an easy fix, Id like to fix it.

2. pyblood

pyblood

If you can afford DSL or broadband, get it. One of the requirements for my new house was the ability to get high speed internet access. I couldn't live anywhere I couldn't have DSL or cable internet. Directway just isn't good enough for me.

If you are getting 30-30K on a bandwith speed test, then it's not so bad. Do you think teh problem may be your modem?

3. jack19512

jack19512

I am going through that problem myself. The modem in my sons computer went out so I took the modem out of my computer and put it in his computer until I could get another.

Before I did this my computer was fine, I bought another modem and now I get disconnected a lot and I am having other problems also. Not saying the modem is your problem but I am sure it is mine.

4. Bronson7

Bronson7

http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage.htm

Tim, try the above link, it's what I use for a speed test. I tried the one you use and get a considerably slower reading. I don't believe my dial-up is that slow. My pc says I connect at 49.2 and the above link puts it at 48; while using yours I'm getting 40.
    Bronson7

5. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

To get the best dial up connection you should have a separate telephone line solely for your computer and have the telephone cable as short as possible. I don’t mean an additional telephone line; I mean a direct line from the computer to the telephone company’s box. In most homes a single continuous telephone cable starts at the telephone company’s box and runs the length of the house and is cut and spliced wherever a jack is needed. It wouldn’t matter if the computer is the first connection in the run, every telephone; answering machine, even the unused jacks add interference and can cause you to have a "dirty line"

Also the closer you are to a major city the better, if you live in the country nothing is going to help. You could have a clean phone line; a 56K modem and everything working perfect you can still only get 28.8K connections. You need to live within 5 miles of the nearest relay to get the full connection speed of a 56K modem.

6. Timothy658

Timothy658

I live in an apartment building, which probably doesnt help matters. With the above test, it said I am at 38K, which is faster than Cnet. Thanks for the link. I guess I will just live with it, it doesnt bother me too much.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

There is a trick to get much better connections if you only have dialup, but it requires two phone lines and dual modems.

It is called shotgunning, and essentially means you are using two modems to dial in to your ISP...which instantly doubles your bandwidth.

Some things to try are looking for newer modem drivers and checking with your ISP's Config Page to make sure the dialer has the correct DNS numbers in it.

Also see if you can get someone with a laptop to come to your place to see if they get 44kbps+ speeds...that'll tell you if the slowdown is being caused by the phone lines inside the building (my guess).

The TelCo will probably be of ZERO help here, since the FCC only forces them to provide you with 12kbps, which is the minimum a telephone needs.

Neither a Fax machine nor a modem can run at those glacial speeds, though, so since you are above 12kb, there is little you can do except look around for an ISP offering Wireless Broadband or take a closer look at DSL/Cable; their prices are falling everywhere.

Sounds like a modem issue to me, though...either hardware or driver related. BTW, I worked for an ISP for over two years, so I just might have an edumacated guess to offer on this one!!

The best thing to try would be an external dialup modem. Since they do not rely on Windows or the CPU/MOBO resources to work, you will more than likely get better connections with one of those.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The Cnet test always gives me lower speeds than the others.I have had problems with quality/damaged phonelines before but it sounds like a modem problem.Most can be fized with the proper/updated driver.Many of the newer "software" Win modem V92 modems have connection speed and disconnect problems.I haven't used any of the external USB modems but have had USB problems in the past.The external serial modems should work well.I bet some updated drivers would fix your problems.One of the best speed optimizers I've tried is this one http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe but fix the modem drivers first.

9. nickg

nickg

even maxed out you'll still only get about 53.3K, but it's better than anything slower for dialup.

after having dialup for the last 10 years i was finally able to get DSL back in december. ^c ^c ^c