close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slingshots for Self Defense

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Young Once, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Young Once

Young Once

Has anyone seriously considered slingshots as an alternative to guns or knives for self defense? I am not talking about the "tirador" as we know remember it from our childhood. I am talking about those new type of slingshots with wrist supports, surgical rubber for the elastic itself and ballbearings for ammo. Or does anyone here actually have one for SD purposes? I was looking at some slingshots in MCS last Sunday and I thought that it would really be painful to get hit with a ball bearing from a slingshot.

2. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Col. Hackworth talks of a soldier in the VN conflict that could drop enemy with a slingshot better than with a rifle in "Steel my Soldier's heart".

3. Sharkey

Sharkey

They are too dangerous and could knock someone's eye out. :) I know I wouldn't want to get hit with a ball bearing traveling at speed. Look at the Palestinian "revolutionaries" that have used them.

4. Blankshooter

Blankshooter

YouTube Rufus Hussey. If you've never seen what can be done with a slingshot. Obviously, an old video, but he's ridiculous. The only thing about self defense with a slingshot is it wouldn't be very practical. Generally in SD you want something that is ready in an instant. Unless you walk around with a slingshot at the ready, I don't see it happening. As for survival scenarios it can be a vital tool. Great for small game if used correctly. Small, quiet, light, easy to transport, not to mention virtually infinate ammo.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

Hmm, why not? We are facing a half-year "gun ban" next year due to the elections, and I'd like something that can reach further than the kamagong (ironwood) canes I have in my office.:supergrin:

6. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Playing around with this slingshot, realized that it is not so easy to be accurate with this...

[​IMG]

Hard to find the rubber tubes as they wear out fast, got strange looks when I went asking for tubes... :)

7. ca survivor

ca survivor

very difficult to get an IWB holster for them, I'll stick to guns. :rofl:

8. Young Once

Young Once

Guys check out the slingshot channel on you tube. Some nasty videos on slingshots out there.

9. Blankshooter

Blankshooter

Slingshot accuracy comes with repetition. After thousands of shots it starts to become second nature and you don't even think of aiming. Here's the video I was talking about earlier. If you get this good, you might seriously think about using it for self defense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88UU9Lg-ZcQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Exactly, just like a recurve bow. I was deadly with a "wrist rocket" as a kid. (my grandad had another name for it though)

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Couple of machinists at a large company I worked at (they were also gunsmiths) made custom slingshots and with ball bearings, were deadly with them. Punching through 3/4 inch plywood was nothing for 1/4 inch BB.

Better than nothing.

12. 4Rules

4Rules

When night falls and danger emerges from the shadows of Hammer Town's alleyways, Defendor is the only man who stands between us and the drug-ravaged streets.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kg8HFQ1xP4"]Defendor Trailer - TIFF 2009 - YouTube[/ame]