Slings...1,2 or 3 point?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Feb 28, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I have always used 2 point slings to carry my long guns. However, when I used to compete on rifle team we used a single point sling that pretty much cut off the blood in our arm in order to hold the gun still.

Now I've seen single point slings that seem to be pretty popular. I've also seen 3 point slings.

I'm curious what the pros and cons are of the various types are?

I've read that if you have a single point and drop the weapon you basically hit yourself in the nuts with the gun. Other than that I don't know much about them.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I have all three types.

I use single point slings on rifles that will not be carried long distances. I use these a lot for home defense rifles, and in classes. It won't hit the ground if I have to drop it and transition to a handgun, and it's easy to transition to shoot from the non-dominant side. It also generally doesn't get in the way of anything while I'm shooting or manipulating the rifle. The big downside is that it is the worst way to actually carry a rifle.

I use three point slings a bit, but only on my AK's because they don't have any controls on the left side of the rifle anyway. They can be adjusted to carry exactly the way I like them in terms of height and angle. The downsides are that they do interfere with the controls of AR15's and anything else with controls on the left side, and they generally don't allow for easy transitions to shoot from the non-dominant side. Some offer a quick release buckle for quicker transitions, but you lose the ability to retain the rifle once you've popped the release.

Two point slings are the most versatile, and are the ones I use the most both at work and on my personal rifles. They carry pretty well, can be used for more stable shooting if adjusted correctly, and don't get in the way of the controls like three point slings can. They often do not work well for transitions to the non-dominant side, but there are some quick release arrangements that improve on this. The downside is the same as the three point quick release though, in that once it is released there is no longer any retention of the rifle. If you don't have enough experience to know what you like yet, the two point is your most versatile option.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks for the reply!! :)

The reason why I asked is because, as I said, up until now my sling experience consists of two pointers for all intents and purposes. However, I'm going to be carrying an AK pistol on my GHB and I was contimplating ordering a single point for easy/quick use when needing to stabilize/aim the gun.

From your reply, I'm guessing I should just stick with the 2 point. However, we should always try new things. So maybe TRYING a single point wouldn't hurt even if I don't ultimately go with it for defensive purposes. :dunno:

Any thoughts on brands for single points?

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

4. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

5. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Cool sling.

6. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

A 2-Point Quick Adjust would have to be the best overall sling out there. Single points are decent for specialized tasks. 3-Points are pretty worthless. Far too restrictive.

7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I like single point slings.

However, I also don't carry my rifle day in and day out. The only time I'm wearing a long gun, is generally when I'm expecting to use it. For long term carry without use, I'd stick with a 3 point.

8. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

I feel like the Magpul MS2 is a no brainer.

9. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Nice!
    :supergrin:

10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

I have 1 and 2 point now.
    2 point on my lever actions.
    1 point on my ARs.
    2 point bungee on shotgun.

I had no idea I was using an African carry.
    Thanks youtube.
    :supergrin:

11. JoshK

JoshK

i personally like 2-points....

12. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

The best sling I have for AR's and AK's are the 2/1 slings I got from RMTactical.

Single point sling when you want it to be; two point when you don't, extremely easy to adjust on the fly. Very sturdy product too.

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I see a lot of Dracos with single point slings on them. I'm thinking of going this route however this is going to be a GHB gun. In other words, I'll shoot it, but it'll spend it's time in my GHB in case the SHTF so I'll have more firepower than just (traditional) pistols.

So the sling will come into play mostly for actual SD use to stabilize the gun for aiming. However, there may come a time when it has to be worn to have constantly at the ready.

I'm wondering why most don't carry their guns with a single point? Is it uncomfortable...awkward...clumbsy...etc?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

14. D445547

D445547

Just wanted to post quick here without reading all the posts as I am in a hurry. I like the 3 point but specifically the Specter 3 point, google it if you like.

The reason is because they have a quick-release tab that allows you to adjust it on-the-fly, it also makes going prone real easy.

Three point works for me because of the "hands-off" support it offers during movement. Single point, not so much, tends to flail all over the place like a necklace.

The Specter also offers another quick-release buckle that if depressed will allow you to instantly ditch the rifle, if the need should ever occur. :wavey:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  15. groovyash

groovyash

A single point sling is a tool for a very specific application. If you are doing entry work and are clearing rooms and switching shoulders dozens of times in the process, a single point is necessary, and no other type of sling out there will serve this purpose better.

For all other tasks it is inferior. They cannot be used to stabilize the shooting platform anywhere near as effectively as a two point (no triangulation). They do not allow the user to stow the weapon behind tight to the back for movement or contact. As you previously mentioned they have the pendulum effect hitting you in the groin.

I use a single point, because it is a necessary evil, most shooters who objectively look at what they are using a rifle for, and not picking what is tacticool are better served by other types like a quick adjust 2 point.

16. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I have 1, 2 & 3 point slings. My 3 point is not like the spectra, it is a Ching.
    There are places for each.

The 1 point, is good when working up close. I have it mounted on an underfolder AK. It doesn't make me more accurate, but works well for letting the gun hang.

I like the traditional 2 point slings. It is a good solid hunting setup.

The Ching works very well for hunting.

I will be tempted to pick up a spectra for my next sling. It looks like an interesting setup for patrol and storage.

My only issue with most slings is if someone gets a hold of your rifle, you are going to be yanked around, if you are "USING" a sling. The single point is probably the worst. If you are running a 2 point sling, you are propbably not rapped up in it so you can let the rifle go and pull your pistol.

17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

You might look into a weapons catch. I can easily stow my 1 point to my side or behind me, without issue......

Also, if you're using body armor, single and 2 points really come into their own.

18. groovyash

groovyash

I had tried a Blackhawk catch for a while. I think they now make a MOLLE mounted one which may work better, the belt mounted one I had I could never really get to work well.

19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

20. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Looks like a two point will serve me better for combat and carry use. I figured for some reason that the single point would stabilize BETTER than a two point.

Thanks!

-Emt1581