Slightly dented brass safe to fire?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BeckerBrain, Jul 27, 2020.

1. BeckerBrain

BeckerBrain

Hello all. Long time lurker but new shooter and first post. I’ve only fired about 1500 rounds through handguns so far, as I just got into shooting a few months ago - so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I tried the search tool and browsed around past threads a little but still thought it would be best to ask people who know a lot more than I do.

I have a box of 147 grain 9x19 federal HST’s and I noticed that about 17 of them have small dents in the casing. They seem to be very minor and most of the dents aren’t even deep enough to feel with a thumbnail. In fact, most aren’t even visible without direct bright light. I was just wondering if this would adversely affect the pressure or reliability, or if the casing would take on the shape of the chamber when fired? There’s no noticeable sign of setback, and none of them have been chambered into the pistol, but they have been loaded and unloaded into magazines.

This was the first box of defensive ammo I bought, and naturally I kept a mag loaded for home defense, but having only one magazine at the time, I unloaded them every time I went to the range so I could use the magazine for target ammo, then when I got home I re-loaded the HST’s back into the magazine. I can try to upload pics of the worst looking ones if it helps. I examined a completely untouched box of 124 grain HST’s and didn’t see any denting at all like what I see on the rounds in question. I loaded them by hand, so I don’t see how I could have dented them, unless it was the rim of the next round to be loaded in, pushing too hard on the round below.

I have 6 magazines now and keep 2 of them dedicated to home defense, so they never have to be loaded and unloaded in such a manner when I go to the range, but because of the ammo shortage I’ve finally come back to this box and noticed the small imperfections. Thank you in advance for any feedback! I’ve been coming here for all of your expertise even before I bought my first handgun!

Pistol is a gen 4 glock 19.

2. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

As long as the case is still straight yes. I've loaded brass with 1/16" dents

BeckerBrain likes this.

3. BeckerBrain

BeckerBrain

Great thank you! These are definitely nowhere near 1/16”. I doubt even 1/32”

4. xTerpx

xTerpx Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)

5. sig357fan

sig357fan

small dent - O.K., crease - not O.K.

BeckerBrain likes this.
  6. BeckerBrain

BeckerBrain

Its hard to get a decent pic of all of them but here’s a couple where it’s at least slightly visible:

Attached Files:

7. g-michael

g-michael

You are good to go.

xTerpx, BeckerBrain and Fortunate Son like this.
  8. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Those are fine to shoot.

BeckerBrain likes this.
  9. Mike-M

Mike-M

BeckerBrain likes this.
  10. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

No biggy those will most likely fireform out.

BeckerBrain likes this.
  11. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Thank you for mentioning that this was for a Glock in your original post, lest it get booted out. That kind of brass in a Glock 19 should be fine. If it were more damaged brass in say, an older Glock 22 the answer might be different. Even though other pistols use ammo too, it is nice that you’re able to give specifics and make it Glock-relevant.

Welcome to the world of shooting.

BeckerBrain and nikerret like this.
  12. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

While I get your point, this should be fine in GG as the firearm is relevant to the question. I guarantee people would have asked what firearm, if the OP had not included the relevant info.*

*Not a mod.

OP, I would shoot it. None of that seems too bad. If you’re on the fence, shoot a few of those, in a controlled environment. Shoot some non-dented ones, as well. I bet you’ll see no difference and after firing I bet you would not be able to tell which ones started dented.

With that said, keep an eye on them. Small dents can become larger, though unlikely.

BeckerBrain likes this.
  13. BeckerBrain

BeckerBrain

14. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

Small dents on factory rounds are ok.

However, if you ever get your hands on some reloads and you see cases bulging like these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't use them or else the case may rupture cause a kaboom.

10or45, BeckerBrain and nikerret like this.
  15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I think we need to try some in my Glocks just to be sure.

About 5,000 rounds should be enough to test. I will PM you the shipping address, and I'll pay for the shipping without charging you for the test run, since this was your first post. You'll get the results back at the end of the Summer :)

BeckerBrain and PrescottGlock like this.
  16. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

Ithaca (my wife went to college in Ithaca!), your generous offer has shamed me into action.

Becker, I hereby offer to run 10,000 rounds through my Glock 19 just to make sure you are okey-dokey!

Heck, I would definitely handle shipping. Act now - limited time offer!

Okay, not limited.

17. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I'll go one better. Pay for UPS overnight shipping, shoot 1,000 rounds, and have the results back by Thursday! And return the brass.

By that way, don't reload these headstamps. Stepped case junk, IMT, Freedom Munitions, AmmoLoad and MaxxTech. Book loads will go over pressure, and the worst is the case can separate in the chamber leaving a brass sleeve, and you with a dead gun. It is a PITA to get out, and especially bad for carbines.

[​IMG]

18. BeckerBrain

BeckerBrain

Thanks everybody. I assumed it would be safe just based on the stuff I was able to find online, I didn’t think minor deformation could raise pressures anywhere close to even +p let alone “proof loads“ but I just wanted to ask since I’m so new to the sport.

hahaha alright buddies, I’ll send about 10,000 rds of HST to everyone....the day I win the lotto. I promise!

thanks again. So glad I finally joined this forum after lurking for so long!

nikerret and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  19. xTerpx

xTerpx Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)

Speaking of pressure, I share this shot from time to time...last Winchester purchase for this guy, as they replaced my whole case for similar issues and these are the gems I found in the replacement case.

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

FullClip and 686 AR15 G17Fan like this.
  20. BeckerBrain

BeckerBrain

Woah! Did you fire any of them?! If so, what hardware did you use if I may ask? I’m still very new and I probably worry too much about my own ammo because I’ve read so many cautious posts about setback and overpressure etc. but I’m extremely curious about this.. that’s some insane difference in OAL.. seems like they owe you a bucket of pills and a heartfelt apology..