Slide Re-finish

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by USMC61, Mar 25, 2010.

1. USMC61

USMC61

I have to send the slide for my brand new G27 back to Glock to be re-finished. I really cannot figure how this gun got past quality control and why it was shipped to me by the company I bought it from. The problem is all cosmetic and it is real bad and at first I just decided to keep it but then what the heck I paid $500 for it and it should look better then it does. My question, is it re-finished in Ga. or does it have to go to Austria? Just trying to figure how long I will be without it.

I know it is my fault for accepting it from the FFL, but the light in his garage is not that good and did not see the problem until I got home and in good light.

2. davewms

davewms

I'm sure you were planning to get a 'new' gun for your money, and not 'a second'. If it is a new gun and under warranty... send it back and get what you paid for!

3. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

I would think it would be refinished in GA.Could take several weeks...who know's.
    Now, I have a question.If you are military, as your username would seem to indicate...why are you paying $500 for a Glock ?

4. vmann

vmann Controller

did glock say they would pay for the refinish...if not, send it somewhere else to have the work done...like robarguns.com....

glock inc smyrna ga doesnt do the refinish themselves, they sub it out and sometimes the work is questionable at best...i dont really think glock cares about the look of their finish as they are intended to be a "combact" pistol...but i understand your concearn and after years of buying glocks, its something i look at when i buy a new one....

5. USMC61

USMC61

They said they would take care of it if was their fault. When he asked what the SN was, he immediately said send it in. Don't know if that means anything. The gun is brand new, still has the copper stuff on it or did before I cleaned it off. Both sides of the slide have scratches all over it like holster wear but these scratches go in every direction. The scratches seem to be worse at the serration area. Top of the slide has a straight wide line (not scratch) from back of rear front sight to barrel (where casings eject). I am not to pickey and would keep it as is if it were not so bad.

6. USMC61

USMC61

Former Marine from the early - mid 60's era. Don't think that qualifies me for those good prices.

7. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Yes Sir, it certainly does.:wavey:

8. USMC61

USMC61

3rdGen - That's good to hear. For future purchase, how do I get the better price.

Thanks, Stan

9. Bello

Bello America/Italia

not true! you have to be active or retired with proper id 3rdgen40 does not know what he is talking about... trust me i have tried! actually got snickered at; at a gun shop for asking

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Not unless he's retired or some other status that gives him a current military ID card.

11. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Screw you...I'm just trying to help the guy out.:upeyes:

12. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Didn't know you had to be "retired".Thought it applied to all prior military.Thanks for clearing that up Bren...:wavey:

13. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

As has been stated, you have to have proper ID, whether it says retired, active, or whatever.

14. bm1974

bm1974

very interested in quality of glock refinish.
    keep us updated.
    hope everything works out.

15. USMC61

USMC61

Will do.

16. nedfolks

nedfolks

I would have liked to see some pictures.

17. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

I'd like to see some as well.

18. cha2ga

cha2ga Liberty, SC

Hope it works out for you. Semper Fi.

19. USMC61

USMC61

I wish I had the picture thing down but don't know how to do that. Just recently bought a digital camera and may eventually learn how to post pics. I am not pickey with my Glocks (use to be but got over it) but this slide was really pretty bad. At first I was not going to send it to Glock but the more I looked at it I decided to do it.

20. USMC61

USMC61

Update - Called Glock yesterday (Thur.) just to make sure the slide got to them. The slide got there Mon. and Thur. still sitting in receiving. The Glock guy in warranty told me to expect 4-6 weeks to get the re-finish done. The guy was real nice and all, even tracked the slide down for me while I waited, but now I'm thinking maybe I should have just kept it the way it was (didn't realize it would take 4-6 weeks for this type of job).