Slide not racking because ejector pin?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Gravnav, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Gravnav

Gravnav

I have a problem with my polymer 80 glock19 build. My slide here: https://www.rockeybrass.com/Rockey-Glock-19-EXD-Complete-Slide-with-RMR-Cut_p_7631.html isn't racking because the slide cover plate is hitting the 336 ejector pin. It's hitting the top right corner as you can see in the image. The rear rail slides line up perfectly with the rear slide tabs, so I don't think they are set too high. The only way I can get it past the ejector pin is if I push it in and rack the slide but even then it doesn't rack all the way, it stops at the rear rails and doesn't line up there either, which is probably because it's being pushed by the ejector pin. Any thoughts on what I should do? It looks to me as if this isn't compatible with the ejector pin because of how much it hits the plate, hopefully I'm wrong and I did something wrong or I need to dremel something down. https://imgur.com/a/AMbbk8w

2. Eradicator

Eradicator

I built the Rockeys 80 G19 kit as well. I had to swap out the included gen3 ejector for the gen4 version(#30274)and I also had t swap out the extractor for the Apex version.....now it works perfectly.

Rpol98 has posted pictures in one of the nearby threads of how he gives the ejector a "haircut" by removing some from the top.
    20200306_145740_resized.jpg 20200306_145712_resized.jpg 20200306_145828_resized.jpg
    erad

3. helidude350

helidude350

Take the magazine out.
    Then try installing the slide.

4. helidude350

helidude350

Without the slide or magazine installed, post a left and right side view of both rails.

bonus if you put a straight edge across them.

also post a top view of the rails

Eradicator likes this.
  5. Gravnav

Gravnav

As you can see, the front rail is slightly higher, the only way i think i can fix it is if i bore out the pin hole on the bottom of it so i can seat it slightly lower, but that would also mean I have to bore out the hole on the front rail as well. I pushed down the front rail as much as I possibly could, so that isn't the issue either. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thank you everyone for your responses. https://imgur.com/a/pScY3pS

6. Gravnav

Gravnav

7. Eradicator

Eradicator

It's okay, most here can envision your issue. Here's the problem I see with your proposed solution.....drilling the hole lower will leave a space above the existing hole, providing the pin with the ability to move. How will you prevent this?

The front pin on the poly kit is fake metal.......if it can move, it may break as a firearm explodes above it..

If it will rack without the mag, ...have you tried it? Next, take out the barrel and see if it slides back....

IMHO, you REALLY don't want to cut and mod the frame if you can help it.

erad

8. helidude350

helidude350

DO NOT over bore the holes, or egg shape them or anything like that!

9. helidude350

helidude350

Without the magazine, spring, or barrel, will the slide go across both sets of rails?

10. helidude350

helidude350

Be patient.
    I got a few things I’m doing around the house.
    But I’m working up a few ideas to help see if your project is a go or no go.
    You might have to have a little customer service from polymer 80.
    But let’s see if that’s necessary and not mess things up so they won’t help you.
    ( of course this virus thing will affect that also)

Don’t hit it with a grinder or torch just yet.

11. Gravnav

Gravnav

Here maybe now you guys can see my link? https://imgur.com/a/pScY3pS Also even without the barrel, spring, and mag it doesn't rack, no combination of me having the mag or no barrel or etc works either, it simply doesn't fit.

12. Gravnav

Gravnav

Also the pin fits through the pinhole and into the front rail, so I don't know what else to do since it can't go down any further.

13. Gravnav

Gravnav

14. helidude350

helidude350

Try this:
    Frame, rails, and pins only.
    No trigger guts, or ejector.
    No barrel, spring or magazine.
    See if the slide can sit across all the rails.

15. rpoL98

rpoL98

did you try a Glock OEM slide rear cover plate? sometimes the aftermarket stuff is out-of-spec?

16. Gravnav

Gravnav

I did not try oem cover plate, all I have is what I got. I tried removing all of the internals and just the rear and front rails, put the slide on and it stops at the rear rails. The front end of the front rail if you can see in the image is slightly elevated, which im certain is causing the issue. If i press down on it with my hands the front end moves down to where it should be, the problem is when i let go of the pressure it goes back up. When the pin is inside the front rails its elevated, so me pushing it down and then putting the pin in isnt going to work either. I'm out of ideas and I don't know what else to do, I hope someone can come up with a solution, this is my first g19 build I need some home safety in these dark times.

17. Gravnav

Gravnav

Maybe if I sand down the top surface of the front rails that would help? I don't want to start doing that though and then come to find out that can effect performance in a negative way. So I'll hold on that until you guys say it's ok.

18. helidude350

helidude350

sounds like the front rails are out of spec

go on the polymer 80 site

they have a place to make a customer service claim

they will want a couple pics downloaded on the claim page

then they will probably send you another one

so don’t do anything more to it

they were pretty quick with mine

virus restrictions might delay yours

19. Gravnav

Gravnav

Ok I'll just send a claim then and I'll let you guys know the details in case anyone else has a similar problem and they are looking for a solution as well.

20. FLSlim

FLSlim

I had a similar issue. I tried a number of fixes (primarily filing down the rear rails), but in the end, I think my problem was that I did not sufficiently trim and smooth the cut-out for the RSA. Once that area was totally flush, the problem of the slide bumping the ejector went away. I assume the RCA was pushing upward on the front of the slide and forcing the rear of the slide/coverplate down. I could be all wrong, but whatever the issue, it's been 100% since then.

BTW, some years ago I mis-installed the striker and liner assembly and had a somewhat similar issue. I no longer remember what I did wrong, but going back through the install procedure was the fix. Just make sure your assembly of the slide and frame parts was correct.