Slide not fully going into battery?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Aceman, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

When cleaning my G26, I accidentally got some of the paper towel jammed up in the RSA that missed my eye.

It also prevented the slide from going into full battery. I just plain missed it until I was at the end of my rope.

I'm sure you've already checked this but you night break it back down and look closely for any debris there that you might have missed. .

2. sgt rock

sgt rock

Is that when you pull the slide back and let it fly ? or are you ***** fingering it really slow until it stays open ?

Glock 17L likes this.

3. Aceman

Aceman

I think it's just because I'm not super-Glock experienced. Like I said - new guide rod is on the Horizon. Not gonna worry about it.

Every other gun I have will lock up just fine slowly. HK, Browning, Beretta. You know - the "Less Than Perfection" weapons like that.

4. ak103k

ak103k

All my Glocks lock up slowly too, and I have a bunch of them, which is why I question the fitment of the non-factory barrel.

I change the RSA's on the guns I shoot a lot, twice a year, which actually isnt probably enough. Yet, I have never had one fail "the test", thats supposed to tell you you need a new RSA.

5. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Lesson learned. It's a Glock and not designed to be loaded gently. Either sling shot the slide or release it from lock with the slide stop lever. If you do that with the OEM barrel and it functions as designed, then the problem is you've got a poorly fitted after market barrel. Get that corrected and you should be good. Or, as someone else said, load it hard and put a bunch of ammo through it so that barrel wears in and seats. As to your other firearms, apples to oranges, at least with the Browning and Beretta. Metal frames, full length slide rails, and hammer not striker fired, which changes the way they act when returned to battery. I'd probably still go ahead and replace the RSA. Good luck, shoot safe.

6. Lagamor

Lagamor

When springs go it’s without warning. All of a sudden they are too weak.
    Get some gun grease and ditch the oil.

7. Aceman

Aceman

Spring is cheap. May just go for it on principal. Thanks guys!

8. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Sounds like you are ready for a "Road Trip"...take the wife for a weekend in the Atl area, and visit the Mothership...your Glock will be like brand-new again, and you will score points with your "honey"

9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Glock won't do anything if there's some aftermarket POS barrel in it. I also doubt there will be service available there on weekends
    It's always better, not to mention more courteous, to provide this sort of information in the original post.

Also, OP, any benefits from that "heavy guide rod" is pure aftermarketer hype. Don't be what P.T. Barnum says is born every minute. :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    HEXE9, Lt. Donn and thewoods868 like this.
  10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I've heard that, but my 2 pin G17 has over 300K on it, with only 7 RSA replacements.

11. Mike-M

Mike-M

If you have put more that about 3000 rounds through each of those pistols then you need new RSAs for them. It's the frame that pays the price every round if the RSA is weak, because that lets the slide bottom out against the metal stops embedded in the polymer at the rear dustcover area. It'll be doing that a long time before functional problems of a weak RSA start appearing to the shooter.

I can't for the life of me understand the reluctance of some to keep spares and periodically replace Glock RSAs. Some even take pride at long intervals between replacement, but that is exactly the same as my boasting that my Opel Manta has had only two oil and filter changes since I drove it off the Vallejo CA Buick lot in 1974. :)

Glock sells direct to customer OEM single-spring RSAs for $5 and double-spring RSAs for $12:

https://store.teamglock.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=18&q=recoil

There's just NO informed excuse to not periodically replace RSAs in Glock pistols long before frame wear and then functional problems show up!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    ak103k, thewoods868 and fastbolt like this.
  12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Yes, if you never replace the RSA, it could damage the gun, especially .45acp/40S&W/.357SIG. one of the local PD's had a G21 range gun with well over 500K, and never changed the RSA. One day, after cleaning it, it wouldn't go back together because the forward rails had collapsed. So the West coast Glock rep asked the RangeMaster if they had changed the RSA? I think so? Didn't matter because Glock gave them a new G21 anyway (but a slim frame, not the old fat one).

13. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Yep...you are correct...posted before brain was in-gear...

14. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

In the picture I rode the slide home while pointed at the ceiling.
    Of course shaking or letting the slide go did return mine to battery..
    Mine is a Gen4 G26, The OPs Glock is a Gen 3 G23 with the single captured recoil spring assembly with an aftermarket G19 conversion barrel..

P3050062.JPG
    IIRC when I got a replacement Glock had went with a newer spring # 0-1-2 IIRC?? Been over a year since the replacement..
    I'd be interested when the OP gets a new RSA if it cured the situation..
    Good Luck
    Gary/G17L

15. Preyhunter

Preyhunter Huckleberry

With an unloaded pistol (no magazine, no round in the chamber), point the pistol skyward and pull the trigger. With the trigger still held rearward and pistol still held skyward, rack the slide and slowly ride it back. If the slide does not fully go into battery when slowly ridden forward or when letting the trigger go forward, it is time for a new RSA.

This is with an OEM pistol (and with my personal experience, NOT with the 44). This is the Glock Armorer RSA test.

16. Aceman

Aceman

Yeah - Spring time, in the spring time!

17. Aceman

Aceman

Update: went to the range and it worked tip top.

I may still replace the spring just for the experience. But I will say this: Flared Mag Well and weight, plus extended mag release. Oh hell yes! Not only did it shoot fine, but I shot it better than I ever had!!!

gunsmoke92 and Papa glock like this.