Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any particular causes as to why the slide would lock open with one round left?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that could be a cause but I dont feel thats the case in this situation. Its only the last round that it happens and my grip doesnt really get in the way of the release

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sounds like a bad magazine spring. How old are the magazines and do you keep them load to full capacity at all times?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, i just got the gun in oct so its only a few months old. I had one mag that i kept fully loaded for awhile but recently took them out. Maybe ill try switching to another mag to see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
103 Posts
How would a weak spring cause it to lock back with one round left in the mag?
a weak spring wont put pressure on the last round because the spring doesnt have enough strength to push at full extension.

·
Banned
466 Posts
Improper grip of the pistol when weight changes with near empty mag.

·
20,411 Posts
Once you understand how a slide locks open, then you can figure it out from there:

1. Contact between the magazine follower and the slide stop lever

2. Operator thumb on slide stop lever

3. damaged, defective or incorrectly installed slide stop lever

#1 only works if there is no ammo left in the magazine. In your case, choose between #2 and #3.

A weak magazine spring can cause a slide to fail to lock open only after the last round has been fired.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ive seen magazine followers get a bur on them and cause the gun not to function properly. Hope this helps .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I still have yet to find the problem tho. Definitely not my thumb hitting the release. And it only happens the last round, and does not happen every time. As for the slide stop lever, I have an extended slide lock and it doesnt appear to be broken. Im really curious as to what it could be

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
As for the slide stop lever, I have an extended slide lock and it doesnt appear to be broken.
These are two different parts.

With the slide off, what happens if you lift the slide stop lever and release it. Does it snap down smartly under spring tension? If it is installed properly, it will.

If the slide stop is OK, try loading only two cartridges and fire one round with a left-handed grip. Reload one round and keep trying to cause the problem. If doesn't happen with a left-handed grip, the problem is your thumb hitting the lever during recoil.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These are two different parts.

With the slide off, what happens if you lift the slide stop lever and release it. Does it snap down smartly under spring tension? If it is installed properly, it will.

If the slide stop is OK, try loading only two cartridges and fire one round with a left-handed grip. Reload one round and keep trying to cause the problem. If doesn't happen with a left-handed grip, the problem is your thumb hitting the lever during recoil.

I have the extended slide release and extended slide lock. With the slide off, the slide release does snap back down.

Ill try a left handed grip as well, but if it was my grip, wouldnt this problem occur at other times as well, not just when there is one round left in the magazine?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
if it was my grip, wouldnt this problem occur at other times as well, not just when there is one round left in the magazine?
All I have to offer there is that as the weight and balance of the gun changes, perhaps the muzzle flips more. Let us know how the left-handed shooting goes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm left handed and am having the same problem... only on the last round. I'm going to the local gunsmith, maybe tomorrow, and see if he finds anything wrong. I've had this g19 for about 10 years now and it only started this recently. I got new springs for the old mags, no help, got a new mag, no help. We will see.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I'm left handed and am having the same problem... only on the last round. I'm going to the local gunsmith, maybe tomorrow, and see if he finds anything wrong. I've had this g19 for about 10 years now and it only started this recently. I got new springs for the old mags, no help, got a new mag, no help. We will see.
Just to clarify, are you saying that you shoot left-handed and your slide locks back instead of chambering the last round?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Let me know if you figure anything out. Ill be going to the range on wed and try to figure somethings out as well

1 - 20 of 25 Posts