Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i did some bad things the other day. i was field stripping my g19 and forgot to place the recoil spring back in before i assembled my pistol. (i know, ive done this a million times and this time was that stupid error) i racked it back upon realizing what i had done. it seemed to be stuck back and wouldnt budge. i ended up hitting the slide and it came back to the normal position. i ended up putting the recoil spring back and tried to rack it to reset the trigger. the slide gets stuck further than it normally should and the slide release doesnt seem to catch the slide nor have any contact at all. the only way to get it un stuck is to hit/slam the slide and it just springs forward back to the normal position. pulling the slide back just to the slide release causes normal operation. but once i rack the slide to chamber a round it pulls further and gets stuck again. please without too much hate mail what is wrong and how to i fix this please!

·
Registered
23 Posts
so i did some bad things the other day. i was field stripping my g19 and forgot to place the recoil spring back in before i assembled my pistol. (i know, ive done this a million times and this time was that stupid error) i racked it back upon realizing what i had done. it seemed to be stuck back and wouldnt budge. i ended up hitting the slide and it came back to the normal position. i ended up putting the recoil spring back and tried to rack it to reset the trigger. the slide gets stuck further than it normally should and the slide release doesnt seem to catch the slide nor have any contact at all. the only way to get it un stuck is to hit/slam the slide and it just springs forward back to the normal position. pulling the slide back just to the slide release causes normal operation. but once i rack the slide to chamber a round it pulls further and gets stuck again. please without too much hate mail what is wrong and how to i fix this please!
Send it back to Glock or take it to a Glock smith.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From looking at the clearances on mine, it sounds like your firing pin safety bent the connector. Just a guess:dunno:

Edit:
I suppose you could trouble shoot it by removing the FPS from the slide, reassembling it and then racking it (sans FPS, still...). If its what I'm thinking, the connector will probably have a slight angle to it too, where as normally the top of the connector would be parallel to the frame assembly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Take a look at the parts diagram in your manual and see if you didn't call one or both parts by the wrong name in your original post.
Parts 9 and 24 in my manual (has the diagram of the g17 gen4).

I was talking about the top "finger" on the connector where it sticks up next to the right rear slide receiver. And the portion of the firing pin safety that sticks out the bottom of the slide...

Upon further inspection (i.e. I grabbed a flashlight:supergrin:) I realized, on mine, it actually hangs up on the front of the slide when you rack it without the rsa and the barrel. Beginning to wonder how the hell the OP did it himself :rofl:

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Parts 9 and 24 in my manual (has the diagram of the g17 gen4).

I was talking about the top "finger" on the connector where it sticks up next to the right rear slide receiver. And the portion of the firing pin safety that sticks out the bottom of the slide...
Since the FP safety plunger does not move back as far as the disconnect tab on the connector when cycling, I was thinking you were probably talking about something else. Sorry I questioned your terminology.

The slide of a G19 moves rearward just to the point where the FP safety plunger is even with the very front edge of the frame rail. That's about 1/4" in front of the disconnect tab on the connector.

I, too, am struggling with what could be locking the slide back at its furthest point in the cycle.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
If you had access to another slide, did you try swapping individual parts -- especially just the barrels? Have you checked for a bulge in your barrel?

I asked before where you are located; I'm sure somebody here could help you figure it out pretty quickly. With the slide back, many of the parts are not involved (like the FP lug and the disconnector ramp on the slide).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after much tinkering, the problem was the barrel. i failed to mention that i have a compensated model. it seems the barrel was catching on the ported part of the slide. after pressing down on the barrel as its stuck far to the rear through the ports of the slide, it drops and returns to normal. i lubed the contact parts and kept working the barrel/slide a few times more and its back to normal now. thank you for all of your help, and i hope this info helps anyone else with the same problem. just wondering if i will need a new barrel ? would i hypothetically have any issues with the current one firing it? it doesnt seem to be warped or tweeked. once again much appreciated for all the input.

2a forever,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.