close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

slide lock &springs

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ozy, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ozy

ozy

has anyone repalced his glock's slide lock and spring for better control and accuracy?

2. twisted1

twisted1 head busta

Lower trigger pull can improve accuracy. Change out your striker spring, trigger spring, and recoil spring.

3. bentbiker

bentbiker

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

5. ozy

ozy

thank you all very much. installed one this afternoon only in my 19, but also fired the 26 and 34. the 19 exhibited tighter groups from the same distance and same ammo.
    highly recommended!

6. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but how does changing the slide lock and spring help accuracy?

Nevermind. Found the answer in the link in Bentbiker's post.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. ozy

ozy

update: installed them on all my 4 gen4s...... remarkable improvements in the "shootabilty' of these pistols.

8. bc5000

bc5000

I was going to put one in my G20 but he wanted $77 for the part & dvd. Not sure what the dvd is for.

9. TMNKWD

TMNKWD

I know what the slide lock is, I know how it works, I can’t for the life of me figure out how making it a little beefier improves shooting?

Can someone explain the mechanics behind how it works, or is it just one of those unexplained items that you have to trust everyone.

10. HGxyz

HGxyz

From reading past threads, it sounds like the replacement part is a little beefier and has a tighter tolerance where the barrel locks up with the slide lock. Makes sense to me - if your barrel locks up at minutely different angle each time, accuracy will suffer. It sounds like people who have tried it notice a difference. I'd guess some guns are helped more than others and you need to shoot fairly well before it's a factor. On the other hand, A lot of people shoot some pretty amazing groups with the stock part. I guess I'm curious enough to try it.

With tighter tolerance though, has anyone noticed reduced reliability?

11. jb1911

jb1911

12. TMNKWD

TMNKWD

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure there's a plecebo effect.

Need to find a friend to order one and let me try it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. wingspar

wingspar

I can’t see how a slide lock and spring can make a difference in accuracy. Reliability maybe, but accuracy? I didn’t feel like reading thru 15 pages and 366 posts in that other thread, so I have to post my experience and question, which I’m sure others have the same question.

I recently bought a second G17. A used one in OD frame. I was having an issue with the slide locking open with rounds still in the mag. This did not happen much, but to happen with a Glock is not something I’ve ever dealt with, so I posted a question here. What was causing it was the previous owner must have had it apart, and installed the slide lock spring incorrectly. Once I realized this, I noticed the slide lock was loose and moved around easy with the slide off the barrel. This did not happen with my other G17. The fix was to install the slide stop spring correctly, a very easy task. End of problem. So, I think I can understand a stiffer spring helping reliability some, but how does this and a new slide stop help with accuracy?

Is this slide stop mod the one that sticks out further from the grip?

14. jb1911

jb1911

We're talking about the slide lock, not the slide release lever.

15. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Ill let TR Graham speak for himself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogman 10x
    How does this part improve groups? How!?
    Well, I could say that I start with a forged block of rare unattainium, and use magical light to cut the blank, which is then carefully machined and surface ground under a full moon with many mumbled incantations, and heat treated with molten sulfur obtained from the ninth circle of hell….

…but that wouldn’t be true.

The MGSL works by consistently positioning the barrel from shot to shot.

I can say it works in two G22's of mine and is a replacement slide lock and uses the factory spring,does not come with a spring.
    If their was a picture of TR Graham's MGSL and a Glock factory slide lock the difference is, would be obvious,sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. SJ 40

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  16. Dave Nowlin

Dave Nowlin Fisher of Men

Do you expect to do something differently each time and get the same result? I believe that is defined as the height of insanity. If the barrel lockup is sloppy, that is it locks up in a sligtly different position each time, would you expect maximum accuracy? I wouldn't. Why do you believe some folks spend so much having a 1911 built by Wilson, Baer or one of the other top shops? They are trying to get the sloppiness out of the 1911 to get better accuracy. That is the same thing that this part helps achieve. It does it a whole lot cheaper. If accuracy isn't worth $37 to you, then don't worry about it.

17. wingspar

wingspar

Technically, it’s the Slide Stop Lever, not the slide release lever, (tho people call the Slide Stop Lever the slide release lever and most are used to that and know what part is being talked about) so since I’m not all that familiar with the innards, I can see why I thought the two were the same. I had to look the Slide Stop up. Seems to be the same part as the Slide Release Lever, or take down lever, correct?

On my G17, the Slide Stop has some play, both forward and rearward. More play rearward than forward. With the slide on, I can see a very slight forward movement of the slide if I push on the back of the slide with my thumb.

Is this replacement Slide Stop part taller or just thicker? Does it change the stiffness of the lever for removing the slide?

18. jb1911

jb1911

19. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

It has nothing to do with the slide stop. The part replaces the slide lock I.e. the part you move down to remove the slide when taking down the pistol.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. Gperfection

Gperfection

Can someone post photos of these slide locks along with the Graham? I would like to see how they compare on the side that contacts the barrel. Another question, have any of you done blind comparisons between the factory and the LWD and/or Glockmiester slide locks to see if they also improve accuracy? I'm just struggling with spending $30 for each of my Glocks plus shipping. I'm still skeptical.