close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide lock reload on a Glock 17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AggieMax, Aug 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

In IDPA, the last few matches in which I have done a slide lock reload, when I slam the mag home, the slide release moves enough to allow the slide to close. I know this can shave some time, but it is rather disconcerting. Am I being overly aggressive when putting the magazine in? I know that I am pushing it in with a good deal of force, and then slamming my hand on the base plate. Should I try a "less aggressive" magazine insert?

When I practice at home with snap caps and less than full capacity magazines I cannot duplicate this. Is this just a case of match adrenaline?

Thanks.

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

You are hitting the mag too hard.

3. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

I do it all the time. Doesn't hurt a thing.

4. GoGators

GoGators Stomatologist

You are hitting it really hard, it's not going to hurt anything. It may save you time or it may cost you time because you're surprised that the slide closed, and you hesitate a little bit.

Notice that this usually happens when you hold the gun in a way that the slide is given a backward impulse, disengaging the slide stop lever. If you hold the gun parallel to the ground and slam the mag in it usually won't cause the slide to slam home. I see a few people in competition use this to their advantage, they SLAM it in there.

5. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

Thanks for the replies guys. I know that it is not hurting anything, I just don't like the idea of being out of control on the slide coming down. I know it is still controlled, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I was just practicing it again tonight, I must really be slamming it in there because it took more force than I thought it would to duplicate the process. I think I'll just go a little easier on it :)

Thanks.

6. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Pay close attention to your mag's mag catch notch. Somteimes overly inserting your mags causes the edge of the notch to peen a little. But enough to cause the mag to bind when ejected esp. when empty. ;)

7. kevins_garage

kevins_garage Gold Membership

I seem to see this more in practice and match situations vs. when I am just at the range or dry firing at home. What I have found is that the slide release does not fully engage in the notch on the slide and when I insert a new mag and seat it, it will occassionally, but not always, lead to the slide closing on its own. I have been able to duplicate this by only engaging the slide release into the notch on the slide just far enough to hold the slide open and then inserting a new mag. When I inserted a mag, the slide would drop almost every time when the slide release was only partially engaged.

When I dry fire or slow fire practice at the range, I find the mag release is being more fully engaged in the notch on the slide and does not release even if I slam a new mag in with all my might.

8. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

I think that it has to do with how hard I am slamming the mag home on my reloads. In the match this past weekend, I was able to insert the mag on a slide lock without it automatically releasing. I know the only difference was that I didn't "slam" it home as hard as I had been.