Slide lock on empty

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dbuck47, Feb 18, 2020.

1. dbuck47

dbuck47

I have been having some instances lately of the slide not locking on empty. Multiple Glocks and multiple magazines, so I think it’s me. I am an old dog but recently took up the newer trick of “thumbs forward “. The fat part of my dominant thumb rides right at the slide release, so I guess I have answered my own question, but has anyone else experienced this and how did you solve it?

It doesn’t happen every time; maybe 1 out of 8 or 10 mags.

BillG174 likes this.
  2. cciman

cciman

Shoot left handed... will diagnose your thumb as the problem, and fix it both.

You really have to grip your gun much tighter, as if your life depended on it (yes it is counter intuitive, but controlling the recoil movement keeps the thumb from popping the lever). Watch some of Rob Leatham videos on Youtube. "Relax and pull the trigger" is what he rails against-- grip it tight, and control the gun when it is firing, like you mean it.

dbuck47 likes this.

3. ak103k

ak103k

It sounds like you diagnosed the problem. :)

I had the same issue when I switched to that type grip back when I was shooting predominantly SIG's. You just have to re-learn where you put that strong hand thumb. Just move it away from the gun a bit and youll be fine.

dbuck47 likes this.
  4. John_AZ

John_AZ

I had a big issue with this with my XDs. I now kind of hold my thumbs up instead of forward. It works for me.

dbuck47 likes this.
  5. 133124

133124 Previously BgDnTx

Mas I think it was said in an article to grip as tight as possible to get better control. Theory is that when gun fires we tend to squeeze harder - this sometimes affects aim. So starting out with tight grip is suggested. And this necessitates using thumb around grip not sitting up top.
    My recommendation: get hold of that thing.
    But hey, what do I know?

dbuck47 likes this.
  6. ak103k

ak103k

If you wrap the thumb "around" the grip, you actually lose meat "on" the grip, and dont get as solid a grip.

You also dont want a death grip on the grip. Something firm and neutral, thats all.

dbuck47 likes this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

Hold your right thumb down with your left thumb.

dbuck47 likes this.
  8. ak103k

ak103k

That causes, and is basically the same issue, as wrapping your thumb around the grip.

You want the strong hand thumb, on top of the weak hand thumb. If you slide it a bit left (right handed shooter) and onto the thumb joint, you wont have the slide stop issue.

You want the heel of your left palm pressed against the grip of the gun, with the left thumb, alongside the gun against the frame and under the slide. That way, the whole grip has "meat" on it.

dbuck47 likes this.
  9. DrewBone

DrewBone

I'm right handed, and when I hold a semi-auto handgun, I prefer to have my right thumb pressed against the frame of the pistol; I then place my left thumb on top of my right thumbnail and press against it, forcing my right thumb against the grip harder than it could by itself, offering me a much better purchase on the handgun while virtually eliminating any chances of either thumb inadvertantly activating the slide release.

dbuck47 likes this.
  10. ak103k

ak103k

Prior to switching to the thumbs forward grip, thats how I gripped the gun too.

If you look under your left palm when you grip that way, youll see you dont actually have contact on the grip when you shoot like that.

When you grip the gun with your right hand, and look at the left grip panel, you will see a gap, between the fingertips and the heel of the right palm. With a thumbs forward grip, the heel of your left palm, just below the thumb, goes onto the left grip panel in that spot, giving you a 360 degree wrap of "meat" on the gun. It takes less effort to get a more secure/solid grip as well. You just have to learn how the thumbs work, if youre having the slide stop issue and address that thumb, which is an easy thing to correct.

Id suggest looking on youtube, etc for how to get that grip and it will make a lot more sense, than what Im saying here.

dbuck47 likes this.
  11. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

There's no need for either one of your thumbs to contact the gun.

And yes, I've seen this happen, even with highly experienced shooters who don't think they are doing it.

Point your thumbs at the target, don't press them into the gun. That's just going to make is track skew. Fore/aft forces are much more efficient and predictable than lateral forces in terms of controlling flip.

If you're going to exert any force with your strong thumb, I'd say it should be to press down on the knuckle of your weak thumb. And that's one way to index it clear of the slide.

View: https://youtu.be/a5OmdjC4UWk

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    dbuck47 likes this.
  12. DrewBone

DrewBone

I appreciate the commentary, but I've already explained what works for me, and whether it makes sense to anyone else but me is inconsequential.

dbuck47 likes this.
  13. BillG174

BillG174

A friend that I shoot with had the same issue with his G17.3. He is a right handed shooter and his thumb was touching/pressing on the slide release.

dbuck47 likes this.