Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with a new G29 Gen 4. When I have the mag release setup for a left hander (me), the follower will not engage the slide lock lever. It works just fine when I set up the mag release for a right hander. Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue?

It happens with all three of the factory Gen 4 mags that came with the pistol. I have read some older posts about this issue but haven't found a solution.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Best thing to do would be unload the gun, manually lock the slide back using the slide catch, and visually inspect how the slide catch engages with the follower of an empty magazine.

Post a picture of this if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've included a photo of the mag inserted with the release setup for a lefty. As you can see in the photo, the follower does not fully engage the slide lock lever. Again, this does not happen when I have the mag release setup for a right hander.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
This looks like a G30S based on the 4256-3 numbers with the most recent revision 4 follower in a Glock .45 ACP magazine (recent as far that I know of).

Probably a pointless question but I will throw it out anyway, but is this a stock pistol? It does look stock from the photo, but again just throwing it out.

It looks as if the magazine is being pushed too far to the right causing the lever to not engage the follower. Does this happen on all magazines? If not, it may be that the left notch is too shallow causing it to be pushed over to the right by the catch.

Another issue can be with the slide lock lever itself being pushed to the left. Is it properly installed and under spring tension? Have you tried reinstalling the slide lock lever? Also, what number is stamped on the slide lock lever? I will say that does NOT look like a slide lock lever for a G30S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it happens with all three factory mags that came with the pistol.

This is a completely stock G29 Gen 4 that I bought new in February.

I haven't.tried reinstalling the slide stop lever to see if that is causing the problem.

Also, I will report.back on the number stamped on the slide stop lever.

Thanks for the tips, @indivi!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple more pictures. One shows the number on the slide stop lever and the other shows how it's installed.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Thanks for uploading pictures. I knew that the gun was a large frame subcompact, I just couldn't really tell which. That's why I threw that out with the G30S and the slide stop lever as the G30S uses it's own slide release.

5427 is the correct slide stop for the G29 and it looks like it is installed correctly but tolerances could be off. Your magazine catch could also be the culprit. When you installed it in reverse, is it fully seated in the frame with no mag inserted and installed correctly? When a mag is inserted, does the magazine catch protrude from the frame even slightly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to provide an update since I sent my G29 to Glock.

They had to install a new slide stop lever that works with the mag release setup for a lefty.

The gentleman that called me said that if I switch the mag release back, I would need to reinstall the original slide stop lever.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
That's good you got it taken care of. This is news to me that anyone could require a different slide release lever for left handed setups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts