close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide lock issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by forcedtofite, Feb 6, 2012.

1. forcedtofite

forcedtofite

I went to the range today with my new Gen4 G34 after dropping in a Vogel Challenger trigger assembly. After going through 3 new magazines I found that at no time did the the slide lock to the rear - used 3 different ammo mfgs including a +P.

When I got home I called Jeff at Glocktriggers.com and after ruling most everything else out he suggested my left hand may be depressing the slide lock. I shoot with a tight grip thumbs extended. I can see where this might have been possible. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

BTW the glocktriggers.com is very nice - easy to install and a great feel.

Tomorrow I will try again and keeping the left part of my hand away from the slide lock. I have read that I could use a plain G17 slide release part or even file off a bit of the G34 part. At first I believed the gun was faulty but don't think so. And, the new trigger assembly would have nothing to do with the slide lock problem.Just wondering if others have advice?

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

About once per month there is a similar post and it's almost always the thumb. If you put one cartridge in the mag and shoot left handed, and repeat several times, you can probably prove to yourself that it is just your thumb; then you can adjust your grip with confidence.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Take the slide off and look at the slide stop. Is the spring under the upper pin? If not, things will act strange. There are YouTube videos about this spring. That's why the recommended sequence is to put the top pin in first then place the slide stop and finally, insert the lower pin.

Anyway, moving on... While you can see the function (slide off), put an empty magazine in the gun and look at the slide stop. Is it being held up? If so, the slide should lock to the rear. If not, well, there's something hosed.

Richard

4. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Probably the thumb... I didn't believe I was doing it on my PPQ until I watched a video of me shooting it. :shocked:

My G34 has never had that issue FWIW.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. bowerman

bowerman

I agree. As long as the SLIDE STOP (not slide lock) is installed correctly with the spring under the pin, its probably your finger!

6. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Unless it's somebody's first time to detail strip the lower and they insert the pins in the incorrect order, thereby making the slide stop not work.

:wavey:

That's my guess here.

8. bentbiker

bentbiker

That doesn't prevent the slide from locking back as in this case. It allows the slide to lock back before the last round.

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

DOH! Brain fart.

You are correct.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The spring pushes it down. If the spring is over the pin, it causes it to lock when it shouldn't, not fail to lock when it should.