close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide lock issue on G17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Averageman, Apr 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Averageman

Averageman

Slide locks intermittantly.
    Doesn't always lock back when the magazine is empty, sometimes locks back with rounds still in the magazine while firing.
    Bone stock mag lock replaced, going to try shooting it again today.
    This issue came up after a complete strip down and recleaning.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    A/M

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You put the pins back in in the reverse order.

The top pin goes in FIRST. Then the slide stop goes in. The top pin holds the spring down on the slide stop.

Then you put the bottom pin in.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

3. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot

Is the spring under the locking block pin?

4. voyager4520

voyager4520

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You are messing with too many parts. Let an armorer fix it for you.

6. Averageman

Averageman

Ron;
    You put the pins back in in the reverse order.
    The top pin goes in FIRST. Then the slide lock goes in. The top pin holds the spring down on the slide lock.
    Then you put the bottom pin in.
    Thats the way I did it, litterally had the book right there as I did it and put the top pin in first.
    When I replaced the slide lock, the slide lock spring was bent. Not exactly sure how it happened but ..
    Voyager;
    Put the locking block pin in the frame before installing the slide stop and trigger pin, this will ensure that the slide stop spring goes to its correct position under the locking block pin.
    Thanks for the pics, I have replaced the slide lock and will take it back out to shoot today.
    I'm opretty sure I bungeled something, but very sure it was the order in which I reassembled.
    I'm wondering if there is a way to catch the slide lock spring on the locking block and bend it?
    Thanks
    A/M

7. voyager4520

voyager4520

The slide stop spring can be damaged if installed in the wrong order. If it's damaged, it'd be best to replace the slide stop. If your G17 has a locking block pin, the manufacturer part number for the standard slide stop is 2919, extended is number 7496.(the slide stops have different numbers stamped on them which are not the part numbers)

This is what the spring should look like:
    [​IMG]

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

While you have the "book" out, learn the names of the parts. It will be less confusing to others trying to assist you:

Slide Lock--forward of the trigger, locks slide onto frame

Slide Stop Lever--locks slide back after last round is fired.

Magazine Catch--releases magazine when depressed

Proper order for both pin removal and pin replacement:

1. Locking Block pin
    2. Trigger Housing pin
    3. Trigger pin

Remove pins left to right, replace them right to left.

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

What a mess that reply is! (Learn how to correctly use GT's quote button.) Obviously you're cornfused. You're not talking about the slide lock; instead you're talking about the slide stop. A slide stop with a bent spring is no longer going to be reliable. Fortunately the part is cheap and readily attainable.

What, 'book' did you have right there? Are you aware that the pins should be pushed out from the left side of the pistol, and replaced from the right side? My personal preference is to always use the pin order: 1, 2, and 3. This applies to both disassembly and reassembly. The, 'right/left' viewpoint is from the rear of the pistol with the butt down and the dust cover end of the frame pointing away from you.

NOTE: The factory is currently recommending a pin removal and replacement order of: 1, 3, and 2. Do whatever you like; but, as far as I'm concerned, somebody at Glock, GmbH needs to get it straight in his head that he's not tightening down the action screws on an M24 Sniper rifle. (It's only a frigg 'in plastic pistol!)

10. Averageman

Averageman

Wow aren't we a little cranky this morning...?
    I've got the answer I needed...
    Thanks to those who helped.
    A/M

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Fine, by now, you should have the answer(s) you needed.

Anyway, it's not your problem(s) I took the time to straighten out. Instead it's anyone reading that mess and jumping to erroneous conclusions that concerned me.

It might not matter to you; but, quite frankly, that's the most poorly written and confused post I've read in many a month on this forum. You should thank me for taking the time and making an effort to straighten it out for, both, you and others.

12. SCC

SCC just me

this will help out more
    [​IMG] :whistling:

13. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

If you detail stripped it and put the same SSL back in you could have bunged it up if you were not careful pushing the locking block pin out. As noted there is spring tension on that pin, if you jammed the locking block pin through you could have bent it from the side...but that doesn't sound like what you did...you said you replaced the SSL.

On a side note, you can install a SSL without detail stripping the frame. All you have to do is push the trigger pin roughly halfway from L-R, insert SSL and press trigger pin back R-L. You need to be familiar with how the trigger pin is removed by wiggling the SSL, you should never use force to remove this pin. It takes very little to push it through once everything is lined up.

14. cciman

cciman

Poor assembly as discussed....

Or you thumb is riding, or bumping the lever as you shoot.

15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Good one! (Just stole your photo, too.) :supergrin:

16. Averageman

Averageman

Or you thumb is riding, or bumping the lever as you shoot.
    Fired another 100 rds today after the repair. I think what we have is a combination of both.
    The slide stop lever spring was mangled a bit when replaced yesterday. I disgarded the old one or I would have posted a pic to share.
    I reassembled correctly in order, but believe I might have mangled the spring a bit putting the trigger pin back in.
    I have also notice my thumbs tend to stack when firing my Glock somewhat differently than they do on a 1911. I may have been crowding the slide lock during firing.
    Something a bit different about drawing and firing the G17 compared to the 1911. As I said, only one issue in 100 rds today, so I'm sure some of it is me.
    As far as my reference material I am using the "Complete Glock Reference Guide 3rd Edition." and all appropriate tools.
    I like to work on my own weapons and am quite proficent at it. It would seem that ruffles some feathers here.
    I appologise.
    A/M

17. SCC

SCC just me

I stole it from butch so it ok !!! :supergrin:

18. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Averageman: Learn to use the quote function correctly. Your posts are difficult to read and comprehend. The responses you seem to resent are justified. Your sudden conclusion that your original problem now has "multiple" causes is also a classic indicator that you may well be off-base in your diagnostic effort.

19. Averageman

Averageman

The responses you seem to resent are justified. Your sudden conclusion that your original problem now has "multiple" causes is also a classic indicator that you may well be off-base in your diagnostic effort.
    Ok

20. scosgt

scosgt

You can easily tell when it is not installed properly. It won't stay down, it will stick in the up position.