close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide goes into battery when mag is installed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glock2740, Feb 13, 2010.

1. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I was shooting my G30 yesterday and about 2/3 of the time, when I would put the new full mag into the gun, the slide would automatically slam closed with a loaded chamber. It's never done this before and it was clean before going to the range, so it wasn't any sort of build up that I could find to blame. I've put 2000-3000 rounds through this gun. When I got home, I checked my other Glocks and only my G26 did it once out of 10 times.:dunno: What do you think the issue with the G30 might be? It shot great as usual and had no failures of any kind. But I didn't like the slide going into battery on it's own. I do slam the mag in, but I always have and do on all of my guns. Thanks.

2. MJB

MJB

My G19 will do that if I slam the mag.

Solution: If you don't want that to happen then don't slam the mag.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Happens.
    Great during pin shoots.
    :supergrin::supergrin:

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

It does make for a fast reload. Maybe I was just slamming it harder than usual. I've just never had it do that until yesterday. Thanks guys. If that's what it's supposed to do, then I'm not going to worry about it.

5. jack the toad.

jack the toad.

Enjoy it, don't worry about it. It's the nature of the beast.

6. wct097

wct097

Simple physics. The only thing holding the slide open is friction on the very small piece of metal that we know as the slide release. Virtually every pistol I've owned will do this with enough force after being broken in.

7. j-glock22

j-glock22

slamming too hard? but some new mags you gotta give it an extra push to lock it in there. My 19 does it occasionally.... but after the mags are broken in, it doesn't so much.

8. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

All 3 of my Glocks will do it EVERY SINGLE TIME if I slam the mag. It's not "supposed" to do it, but it does, and it doesn't hurt it. I don't train for it to happen during reloads, but if it does happen, so be it. I always expect to have to manually release the slide. That way, I'm covered if it doesn't happen.

9. mixflip

mixflip

Well said ^. Dont train for it to happen. Its just physics at work.

Now if you slam a mag so hard you actually break something then you will be as the good gunny says "in a world of shizle"

10. James Dean

James Dean

I think you have the New Glock auto load system

11. mteagle1

mteagle1

I am getting too old for the crap I read on forums. I suppose you load a revolver by flipping the cyclinder closed also. Or maybe you rev the engine in your car to 4000 RPM before dropping it in gear. I almost said letting out the clutch but that is a lost art also.

12. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

another glock 'feature' that only happens sometimes.

13. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

:rofl:

14. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

15. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

Is there anyother way to get a revolver closed? And I never rev to 4000, I like to stick around the 3500 range....and how to you get the transmission into gear without letting out the clutch? I see that as a common practice.

16. BigBadAllis

BigBadAllis

That's why I cringe when I see people stick their fingers into the ejector port when the slide is supposedly locked open.

Jason

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Normal and beneficial.

18. sciolist

sciolist

I've noticed this with my G19 also. Gun has ~2K rounds through it. Never happened until a few range trips ago, now it happens maybe one time in ten.

It doesn't seem to be related just to force of mag insertion, though. I've tried to cause it by deliberately hitting the mag harder than usual, and had it fail to occur. Then it has subsequently occurred at times when I know the mag went in relatively gently.

I think it mainly has to do with hitting the butt of the mag from a certain angle, and imparting just the right shock to the slide release.

As others have stated, it doesn't really bother me that much. Would be cool if I could do it/not do it on call, but I just roll with it when it happens.

19. RFPhoto

RFPhoto

Not normal but will not damage the gun in any way. If you want, replace the slide stop lever and the issue should go away.

20. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't bother me too much, but if it did it every time, then that would be one thing, but the fact that it doesn't, just seemed kind of weird. I've been shooting Glocks for years and just haven't seen one do this. Especially as much as the G30 was the other day. What's strange, is that the gun only has 2000-3000 rounds through it, so I wouldn't think anything would be worn out or need to be replaced.