close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide discoloration from sweat? (pic)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SVTNate, Aug 18, 2012.

1. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

So I have some very odd discoloration of the slide on my primary CCW weapon, G26 Gen 4. See here...

[​IMG]

It's splotches that are blue/purple in color.

It's a new gun, and that discoloration only appeared after I started carrying. IWB in an MTAC holster. It has been hot as heck here, and humid lately. I think due to the cant of the holster, sweat is going from my body, to the grip, running down that side of the slide, and collecting at the muzzle.

There is no discoloration anywhere else. At the end of the day when I disarm, the slide is wet in that area, as is the grip. It has to be sweat, I'm sure. Nothing else is wet.

I haven't tried wiping down with oil or anything, just wiped it off with a damp cloth. I'm not too worried about my tools looking pretty, but I hope it doesn't lead to rust or any other issues.

Have you guys seen anything like this before? I'm curious if my Gen 4 G19 will get the same look. I haven't carried it yet, as it's new also and with the heat I've stuck to the smaller G26.

2. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

I will say that this is the first time I have CCW'ed a Gen 4, and the first time I have CCW'ed IWB. I used to be too fat for IWB, so I always carried OWB and sweat wasn't really an issue. So I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of more exposure to skin oil and sweat.

It's so odd to me that this is happening. I expect some sweat on the grip, since it touches my skin where the leather guard doesn't cover... but of all the parts covered by the kydex holster body, only this little area is wet and discolored.

3. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Both of my gen 3 guns look like that. Both have been carried iwb in very humid conditions as well, though I'm not sure if that's what caused the coloring issue or not. I'd never thought about it before.

4. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

I just unloaded and field stripped the weapon.

Inside is perfect. Everything else is perfect. I put some CLP on a patch and wiped the slide and barrel down. Dry patch to remove excess, except in the affected area. I will let the CLP soak overnight and wipe it down before reholstering tomorrow.

I have a theory. This is the area of the slide that touches leather. The other side only touches kydex.

Retention is at the muzzle end, mostly. The retention screws are at the muzzle end, so it stands to reason that this area of the slide is pressed harder against the leather.

Sweat drips, flow down to muzzle, gets trapped there against the leather and steel. Prolonged sweat exposure and heat is causing this area to have some discoloration.

That is my theory, anyway.

I'm curious to see how it looks in the morning after I wipe the CLP off the slide.

If it's not going to spread and cause issues, I don't care. People have asked me why I don't carry one of my Ed Brown 1911's, since I enjoy shooting them so much. This is one of the many reasons. I don't care if the slide on a Glock has the finish damaged by sweat. I just hope it keeps contained to that area. Also, another month or two and I won't be sweating on the gun anymore. Walking around in humidity and heat, in a suit, and sweat exposure is inevitable when you carry IWB I suppose.

5. tonyparson

tonyparson

My Gen 4 G19 does this when I wear it on real hot days and I'm sweating real dab. I have a 2002 G27 and I can wear all day on the hottest days and it wont look like that..

6. Adamz04

Adamz04

I iwb carry that exact same gun every day in a kydex holster from pjholster. I've yet to experience any sweat on the slide like that. Sweat will collect on mine around the top of the grip. Maybe your holster is helping cause it. May have to occasionally take it out and wipe it down to prevent discoloration.

7. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Normal. And you can thank that crap parkarizied finish. It just doesn't hold up too well.

8. FTjoe

FTjoe

my late model GEN3 G17 does this too. however, my early model GEN3s and GEN2 do not do this. all are handled the same way at the range so each gets a good dose of sweat & sun & gun powder. late model GEN3 has the different factory finish on the slide.

9. oldguynewglock

oldguynewglock

I get something similar on hot days along the slide of my Gen 4 26. I wipe it down with oil or ballistol after every carry and it takes care of it.

10. G-19

G-19

Do you keep your gun in the holster when not wearing it? I have always heard that leaving the gun holstered when not carrying it for days/weeks on end can cause rust.

At the end of the day I always wipe my guns down with a silicone rag, never had an issue with rust.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

You HAVE to oil it! Remove from holster at night. Wipe with a silicone
    cloth nightly. Field strip, clen & oil weekly.

12. kaech

kaech

A lil rem oil/ballistol will wipe that right off

13. tonyparson

tonyparson

Good advice.....:thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  14. BuffaloBo

BuffaloBo

Total overkill. If and when it gets dirty, do a decent field strip. Don't over think it.

15. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Agree. There's no need to remove the gun from the holster unless it gets shot or cleaned. Makes even less sense to clean a clean gun. Please don't go overboard with this. It's the way it is, live with it & be happy.

16. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Way too much messing with weapon. Just wipe it down weekly and be done with it.

17. M 7

M 7

I agree. I do the exact same thing.

I carry OWB, and cleaning is once every two months (or if I shoot it) with regular "patrols" :cool: for lint and dust-bunnies in all the suspect places.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  18. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

A little MPro-7 and it will come right off.

19. GaryC

GaryC

+1 Great Stuff!

20. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

I do leave the gun in the holster overnight, but almost nightly I will remove the weapon and wipe down the holster and outside of the gun to remove lint/sweat. Put the weapon back in the holster, ready for the next day.

I guess I'm glad to hear it's not abnormal. My next question is - will it continue to get worse, or is that as bad as it's going to get? I don't mind the discoloration, but I would prefer it it stays contained to this small area of the slide.