close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide closes when magazine is inserted

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by racer88, Jan 3, 2010.

1. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Hi all,

Did a search and didn't find anything. This has happened a few times with my new G23. Slide is locked back. When I insert a loaded magazine and smack it home, it causes the slide lock to release and the slide closes.

Is this a problem? Doesn't happen every time, though.

Thanks!

2. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Normal, don't worry about it....; mine do this as well....

3. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Normal on a Glock.

4. A6Gator

A6Gator

If you smack the magazine hard enough, it'll sometimes cause the slide to close. You're right, it doesn't happen all the time, so when you train, make sure you continue to release the slide manually (however you do it, slingshot or slide release...which is a topic for a whole new thread...)

5. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Good to hear it's not abnormal. Thanks!

6. R*E

R*E

We had this thread a few weeks ago. I've only experienced on rental Glocks so some sage members here advised me to go out and shoot the snot out of mine. Still working on it. :cool:

7. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Great option. I wish all mine did this. :) (All my high round Glocks do.)

8. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

My G23 is brand new. Maybe I just don't know my own strength (when smacking the magazine home). :nsb:

Hey voodoo... what search terms did you use? I searched for "slide closes when magazine inserted" and came up with two threads that weren't even close to being relevant. But, thanks! :embarassed:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  9. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I wouldn't call it 'normal'....the gun doesn't do it, the shooter does:
    It takes very little effort to fully insert and lock in a loaded FML magazine when the slide is open. A smooth, aggressive insertion does all you need.

The phrase 'smack it home' tells me that you're taking your hand off the magazine after inserting it and then giving it another hard whack with your hand, a blow that does nothing but waste time and, given enough force, can cause the frame to be pushed forward just enough that the slide, not being in motion when the frame moves, tends to stay in place just long enough to take the spring pressure off the slide stop lever. When the pressure is off the lever, it's spring pulls the lever down, and releases the slide.

I'd say that maybe you should quit hitting your gun. :)

10. TeddyB

TeddyB

This is very accurate information by one of the best posters on this forum.

I call it Ghetto Speed loading right up there with holding a Glock sideways. Slamming a mag home will knock the slide stop loose and cause it to go forward. F= M x A. All that mass in a full mag of lead bullets being slammed in the gun is a substantial force.

11. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Thanks for the reply. I'm not "smacking it home" as a separate step. More accurately, I'm probably just seating it rather aggressively. Probably too hard. I do notice a bit of resistance in the last few millimeters of travel as the magazine is inserted. I just want to make sure I've got it in all the way. I'll try being a little more gentle and stop hitting my gun. (No double-entendres intended! :supergrin:)

12. voodoomanx

voodoomanx Large Member

I used glock mag slam as search terms. I knew there were threads out there because I've posted in some of them.

13. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Careful on being too gentle. I've had the magazine fall out from not being fully inserted...during a match (thank goodness.) :faint::supergrin:

14. coal

coal

My Gen3 G19 does this. None of my other Glock have/do. It's not "typical" for all Glocks, but it's normal (i.e. not defective).