Slide catching on my new G19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mando20, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mando20

Mando20

I just brought my new G19 home tonight. Was cleaning it all up like the manual says. Went to put the slide back on and it would not go all the way. Made sure everything was aligned correctly(which it was). Then I pressed the slide release that you pull down when disassembling and it went on. My sons G19 does not do this. When you are reassembling his you just slide it back all the way on without pulling the lever down. Is this a problem or will it be fine? Thanks for all the help.

Frank

2. Adawg38

Adawg38

You mean the slide lock you press down on both sides when disassembling? That doesn't sound right it shouldn't do that. Did you replace it with an extended?

3. Mando20

Mando20

Yes the slide lock you press when disassembling. And no it is stock right out of the box.

4. scprotector1

scprotector1 LoneStarGlocker

You mightve hit the metal bar that keeps the spring tight holding it down while cleaning it, look at how to remove the slide stop on youtube and youlle see what i mean

5. bentbiker

bentbiker

There has been at least one previous post about the same thing -- either the barrel lug is too low or the slide lock is too high, and the ramp on the lug is not able to depress the slide lock as intended. In his case, he reported that a lot of reassembling caused the problem to disappear. I can't understand how it would get better, but that is what he reported. You might want to do what I suggested to him -- swap the two slide locks and see if the problem either moves to the other gun or disappears. He also had two of the same model . . . you aren't the same guy, are you?

6. Mando20

Mando20

No I am not the same guy. I will just have to try to wear it down.

7. bentbiker

bentbiker

I found the previous thread, and interesting that his problem was with a G23 -- same compact frame: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188981&highlight=ramp

Why not try swapping the locks? It's a two minute test. If the problem moves to the other gun, you just need a new slide lock.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  8. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

hmmm. same thing happens occasionally with my 23. when it happens, I pull the trigger forward and try again and it slides all the way back.

9. bentbiker

bentbiker

Did you see the thread where your problem was supposedly traced to birdshead on the trigger bar hitting the FP safety plunger off center because the bar is disconnected from the connector when the trigger is back? It was suggested by Butch that the plunger can be taken out of play by depressing it while the muzzle is down, thus the plunger traps the FP and stays depressed when you reassemble.

Your symptom and the one here are the same, but it sounds as if the causes are different.

10. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

When disassembling the Glock, you do not "press" the slide lock. This would serve no purpose. You retract the slide approximately 3/16ths of an inch then pull down on the two disassembly "tabs" and move the slide forward and off of the frame. When re-assembling the gun, simply align the slide on the frame and slide it to the rear then to its rest.

11. bentbiker

bentbiker

The two "tabs" to which you refer are called the "slide lock".

12. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

this is egxachary essentially what pulling the trigger forward does. i guess it is different than OP's problem.

13. RBL525

RBL525

it happened on my 23, after I worked it a while just trying to figure it out, it broke in. It is totally gone now, and is flawless.

Someone else mentioned the spring might have not been seated correctly. i don't think that was it. my 19 slide went on fine on the 23 frame, my 23 slide went fine on my 19 frame. After doing it several times and shooting it, it is great. I was really worried at first, but it just needed a little breaking in.

14. voyager4520

voyager4520

Two other users here, one with a new G23(recent production) and another with a new G32(I assume also recent production) have reported this exact problem. The user with the G23 said that the problem eventually went away and the pistol reassembles normally now. The user with the G32 reported apparent slide peening(the corners of the locking block put wear on the slide near the slide rails) on his never fired(except at the factory) gun. That's not normal to see on a Glock with only 2 rounds through it.

That's how it's supposed to work.

I have no idea what it could be. Maybe the locking block is sitting higher in the frame than on older Glocks. Maybe the slide lock sits higher than on older Glocks or the newer slide locks aren't beveled the same.

The only guess I might make if it's not a difference in tolerances is that as the pistol is reassembled the base of the guide rod slightly slips out of it's notch in the barrel lug, but I seriously doubt that's the problem.

Edit: The G23 owner I speak of posted above me(RBL525), and as he says I seriously doubt the positioning of the guide rod is the problem.
    Here's the topic posted by the G32 owner in which I also posted a link to RBL525's original thread concerning this issue: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194004
    Reading that thread, in post #32 the OP says he switched the slide locks of his problem G32 and his problem-free G23, and now both pistols are problem free.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  15. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

You are correct sir and I clearly see that what I was referring to was the "slide stop". My mistake. The term "slide release' is used interchangeably with "slide stop" and that is the source of my error.

16. bladenbullet

bladenbullet gun clinger

my g19 was tight at first...i pulled it down several times and it loosened up...hasnt been a problem since...

17. Mando20

Mando20

Just took it out and shot it 30 times. Just to make sure it goes BANG. Which it did just fine. Now I am going to wait until Sunday and put a couple of hundred shells through it and see what happens. Swapped the slide with my sons G19 and it is definately the slide release on my frame. We will see, thanks guys for all the suggestions. I just may live with it. Not a problem really to me. JUST FOR CLARIFICATION I AM TALKING ABOUT THE RELEASE TABS ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE FRAME. NOT THE ACTUAL SLIDE RELEASE THAT IS USED TO CHAMBER A ROUND.....PLEASE TELL ME I AM CLEAR ON THAT NOW. LOL

Frank

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  18. RBL525

RBL525

If it is like mine, it will loosen up. If you meant the slide lock, not the slide release.

for about a half hour I just sat there and with the slide off and used my finger to depress and release the slide lock. It functions fine now. I noticed the tension on the slide lock was significantly stiffer on my new G23 compared to my G19.

19. glockman9mm

glockman9mm

This must only be an issue on certain guns- i always put the slide back on with the firing pin safety plunger fully out- firing pin retracted- and never have a problem. You can feel the trigger bar slip over and depress the safety plunger and then the firing pin is free to move back and forth as if you just pulled the trigger. I assume it was designed to work this way- i never saw anything in the manual about haveing to depress the safety plunger???????

20. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

recoil spring could be slightly up out of the half moon channel it sits in...