close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide back, insert new mag, release slide stop and locks...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by bdoub1eu, Apr 5, 2010.

1. bdoub1eu

bdoub1eu

Quick question. I read somewhere else about not letting the slide slam shut by using the slide stop on 1911's and to use the slingshot method...

This past weekend, I was shooting my Kimber CDP Pro II and I shot the first magazine (8 rounds), ejected the mag (slide was back), put the new mag in, released slide and instead of inserting the next round into the chamber, it just stuck there. I had to push up on the mag and then the slide closed. Is this normal? Should I have released the slide after shooting the first mag and then used the slingshot method to insert the new round from the new mag into the chamber? Using Checkmate mags...

I've got Glock's as well and always just insert the new mag (with the slide back) and then hit the slide release and it always just throws the new round into the chamber...Haven't had this issue before on other guns but has happened a few times with the CDP...Just wanted some opinions...Thanks experts!

2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Not normal. Possibly a problem with the magazine, but first things first - you sure the magazine was fully seated? Did it just happen that one time?

3. bdoub1eu

bdoub1eu

Number of times...When it locks up, if I just gently push on the mag (upwards) the slide will shut...Almost like the round is getting stuck on the feed ramp or something...

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Tried different magazines?

5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I've only ever thumbed the slide stop to release it on a new magazine.

6. bdoub1eu

bdoub1eu

Checkmate mags are brand new - I thought they made decent mags???

7. CMG

CMG

Were you shooting FMJ or JHP ammo?

It may be an issue with the magazine feed angle, or the extractor is too tight, or the breech face is rough, or.... it's really hard to correctly diagnose at a distance, but keep in mind that as the round is being pushed forward out of the magazine, the rim has to ride up the breech face and under the extractor.

There is nothing wrong with using the slide stop to release the slide on a fresh mag in a 1911. Letting the slide slam close without a round in the mag, can have a negative effect on a custom trigger job.

8. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Try a different magazine.

Put some oil on your slide stop (the round part that spans the frame).

Also try releasing the slide with the slide stop and see if the slide hangs up that way.

Let us know.

9. bdoub1eu

bdoub1eu

They were FMJ...

That was my guess was the feed angle...Should I try it tonight and take pictures? Will that help diagnose it?

10. CynicX

CynicX

Also use the mag that came with the gun.

Seeing exactly what its stuck on should give you and us enough information to help you a little bit. Try to see if you can tell if its the slide release, a round nose diving, etc. Make sure to test the stock mag too...

11. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

It sounds like you need to learn some fundamental gun handling skills.

As you insert the magazine, slam it home. It's not a piece of Lenox china, it's a pistol. The biggest cause of a malfunction is a magazine not fully seated.

As for slide lock release, slingshot, and hand over techniques, watch this Clint Smith training sequence illustratating his technique, which is universally the most popular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyULpEhmug

"Attack the slide."

"Beat the snot out of it until it's working."

Or Yaeger's class: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_163&products_id=2323

"Slap, rack, get back in the fight."

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010