close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

slide and frame tightening of 1911A1, etc.

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by bertud ng putik, Feb 14, 2005.

1. bertud ng putik

bertud ng putik

hi, i bought my norinco (enhanced special) 1911A1 last dec. 23,2004 at trust trade., exclusive distributor of norinco. ask ko lang, sadya bang may tok tok tok pag inalog mo yung baril? di naman sya talagang maalog. kasi yung sa friend ko na armscor .45 walang alog kahit tok tok tok man lang. may mga handgun magazine kasi ako, dito ko nakita yung slide to frame tightening, kelangan ba ng norinco ko iyon? pati na yung dehorning ng frame at slide? please advise naman mga friend kong BOGS... THANKS!!!!!

2. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

hi bert, i got a norinco 1911 enhanced, i only changed the grips and added a group gripper. also cleaned and lubed the internals. the gun shoots better than me, fit is ok i think, wala na mang noise when shaken. i forgot, i also installed a new ejector. the rear post got broken, gun works just fine but i replaced it anyway. and i still have to fit a longer trigger and make it work relaibly:) shoot your gun first, you will know what to change/kolikot after:)

3. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Hi!
    Check first if it isn't just the magazine rattling.

I wouldn't attempt to tighten slide-frame fit. That usually involves pretty hardcore stuff like squeezing the slide in a vise to bring its sides closer to the frame. I doubt that's it, as the enhanced Norinco's came straight from a well-regarded local smith.

Still, no offense to Norinco owners, but based on eleven examples of the Chinese (eight of them brand-new) compared to six (brand-new) Armscors, the newer Armscor beats ANY Norinco for fit and out-of-the-box reliability. Just my observations ----based on, really, too small a sample to be anything but my sole personal opinion

4. bulm540

bulm540

What horge said, If the gun is working, leave it alone.

5. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

It it shoots and groups fine, just leave it alone.

If the rattling is bothering you, try any grease type lube like slide glide or militec. ;)

6. 9MX

9MX Rei!

wow! look whose talkin!;f

7. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

...well, siguro konting polishing lang. ;f

8. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

the "rattling" sound is common on all norincos. the "looseness" of the fit also helps in its reliability. the too tight fitting of some pistols is what made them a little pinicky on the choice of ammo. the grouping is acceptable on the stock guns specially of just intended for defensive use. some will just replace the barrel bushing to get some more accuracy.

horge is right, the tightening is a bit hardcore. some may even do some cutting on the rails and do a build-up.

as for the dehorning, it is really up to you. it can help specially if you do concealed carry (like holding a bar of soap if properly dehorned).

9. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

And the elusive quest for the perfect 1911 goes on. All 1911 owners (kasama ako) worry about slide to frame fit. Shoot it for a few hundred times for break in. If the group size worry you, start with a gunsmith fit barrel bushing & 18# recoil spring. Norincos are respected even here in the US. Too bad Clinton banned its importation. Good luck on your gun!

10. vega

vega

I have the same concern with my SA milspec too but since the grouping is good I just leave it alone.

vega

11. bulm540

bulm540

accuracy is not aafected that much by slide to frame fit anyway. It is the barrel fittign and bushing that is critical. UNless of course you are shooting an open gun.

12. hnard

hnard

I agree. The barrel link can also cause some rattling.

13. paltik45

paltik45

Sir napako na siguro sa kultura ng mga pinoy na kapag may kalampag ang KWUARENTA y SINGKO ay may diperensya. If you will use that gun for self defense or carry pistol it doesnt realy matter if rattle like a ratle snake. I think you should focus more on the reliability issue. Next is the accuracy, try to shoot it on a sturdy rest and if the grouping is around 2inches at 25yards your OK. If you are interested in some gunsmithing on the 1911 you can check this website www.blindhogg.com. goodluck.

14. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

Normal lang sa 1911 ang konting alog kasi yan ang request ng military (US ARMY) kay JMB para sa mga kapatid natin Moro sa Mindanao, yung "looseness" na yun ang nagbibigay ng reliable service sa 1911 kahit may putik,buhangin o dumi at di nalilinis ng mga sundalo sa labanan. Yung NRM Colt ko, lumalagapak pag inalog;f but it shoots fine for a defensive gun.

BTW, Bertud ask around dyan sa atin sa Cavite, maraming mga Remington Rand dyan na nakakalat at ginagamit pa pero tignan mo kung gaano kaalog ang mga iyan;f

And like what the guys said, leave it alone.

Regards

15. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

I think too many of us have been spoiled by 1911s with hand-lapped slides and frames with ZERO play. The original design specs for the 1911 called for .001"-.002" of clearance in the frame rails, according to Jerry Kuhnhausen. This is enough play to easily be felt when examining free play on a dry weapon. If the clearance of your new Series 70 (by the way, they're not "new rollmark" guns, merely reproduction or 2nd generation) is much beyond that then I'd say it should be returned to Colt under warranty. Otherwise the play would be considered acceptable.

While a nice, snug slide/frame fit feels good it does little (if anything) for accuracy, and merely means your pistol may be a little less tolerant of dirt and fouling. My older Series 80 exceeds the design spec for slide/frame clearance by a considerable margin, yet 75,000+ rounds later it has been my most reliable 1911.