GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the advice, I’ll check them out. For me weight isn’t an issue, not really hiking. It’s just easier in a camp setting, usually at least partial heat.

Just back from my outing, largest deer that came by were several nice 8 pointers, safe on this property. I didn’t care for the sleeping bag I used. I plan to go back for round 2 after Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
You never stated that I saw but what are you sleeping on. If on the ground, cot, or hammock, you’ll need a sleeping pad too. If it’s on some sort of mattress you’ll be okay without one. Where you lose the body heat is where the bag compresses under you and offers no insulation.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,277 Posts

·
Registered
13,169 Posts
I slept in one for the past 8 months or so.

I bought a cheapie Coleman $50 at target, good to 30 degrees.

I will say, when my room got to 50 degrees, it was not that warm in that bag. I wish I had bought the 20 or even 0 rated bag. Not sure what they mean when they say good to 30 degrees, but I think they're a bit off there.

I got a wide one also, like 40 some inches, makes a big difference.

What you are sleeping on is probably just as important.
A 30 degree bag is not designed for you to be comfortable at 30 degrees, the rating means that at 30 degrees in that bag you won't become hypothermic and freeze to death. You want comfort at 30 degrees, get a 0 degree bag, sleep in some heavy fleece , and put a hand warmer down inside the bag by your feet.

·
Registered
9,269 Posts
I pulled my 1980's era US Army "scrounged" Mountain Bag (Extream Cold Weather), out of its wet weather bag, this hunting trip up in Michigan.
It was still in great shape, but the zipper would not budge. I greased that sucker and still couldn't get it to zip, so I rolled it over and got under it.
Speaking of shape, I am not the lean mean fighting machine who once zipped it up with me inside all those years in the Army.
I will work on getting it zipped this week, before putting it away, but need to find a "double wide" before next years deer season.

·
Anti-Federalist
19,081 Posts
I’ve never used one, just a pad. While both together would be a luxury, you only really need one or the other. An underquilt works better but the pad can pull double duty in case you can’t string a hammock ;-)

An underquilt is WAY more efficient and comfortable and I'd consider it before an over quilt if I could only have one.

Hen1.jpg

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I normally would be on a mattress of sorts in a cabin, usually heated to at least 50 degrees.

I may meet a guy tomorrow, fakebook marketplace, ‘like new’. We’ll see.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
The cost of a sleeping bag is usually because of the weight vs warmth.

If weight is not a big factor, then cheap bags will do. I have a good hiking bags and bags that great for car camping/ sleepover stuff.
You can also line a cheaper bag with one of those fleece sleeping bags to lower the temperature range . m

A cheap Coleman sleeping bag with a fleece bag to line it would probably meet your needs.
This. Unless you will need to carry it on your back or it needs to survive extreme conditions, buy a synthetic bag from someone like Coleman/Kelty/Teton that's on sale and you'll be fine. $50-$75 should get you a great bag.

And buy warmer than you plan on using it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Have a Big Agnes 20 degree bag. Don’t anticipate needing anything warmer. Used to have a North Face 0 degree bag, but it was overkill.

A good bag is a must have survival tool.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just to update I bought two sleeping bags today. I ended up with a deal off fakebook marketplace. They were two Coleman ‘Big Game’ sleeping bags, slightly used, dry cleaned(receipt) before sale. The average price new is about $100, these were $60 for the 2, easy meet.

They are big, not great for any packing. My use is more or less taking the truck to a camp, so packing isn’t necessary. Yeah, I’m kinda frugal & this is enough for my use.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts