GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-...ecqNDGGZ_R72JG6Lo9CWWtayvQ426FZGbfxviTokdTKYM

"Eight Minutes After Warning Screens Showed 1,400 Soviet ICBMS Approaching North America, on 9 November 1979, NORAD Concluded “Attack Was Underway”

William Odom on 3 June 1980 Pentagon Missile Warning Conference Call: “I Monitored the Call Last Night – Eerie”

After 3 Incidents in May and June, Secretary of Defense Brown Advised President Carter that "I Consider the Situation To Be Very Serious” "

I was on alert for one of these.

Suffice it to say , the pucker factor was high that night.

The message started something like, " For alert force, for alert force, klaxon, klaxon,klaxon”.

Right then you knew something bad was happening. The next message we got made us take the keys and poppers out of the safe and INSERT THE LAUNCH KEYS.

Only two things can happen after that; take the keys back out or turn them.

Awww, fun times; hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror.

:D

·
Moved on...
9,704 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: inthefrey

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
4,174 Posts
Friend Scott and I were in a Chicago area high school during the Cuban Missile crisis. We knew that our chance of survival from an air burst Nuke was virtually ZERO!

If the sirens went off, we agreed to meet at his house, put up some lawn chairs, swipe some beer from his refrigerator and watch the missiles come in.

Some folks never accept the fact that they're mortal and will die some day. On ground zero, we lived with that fact every day.

Flash

·
Mentally Frozen
24,787 Posts
To kill time did you play dominos in the launch room?

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
Soooo what happens if someone didn't figure out it was a false alarm before turning the key? Biggest oops in history?

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soooo what happens if someone didn't figure out it was a false alarm before turning the key? Biggest oops in history?

Yeah, pretty much.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,131 Posts

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-...ecqNDGGZ_R72JG6Lo9CWWtayvQ426FZGbfxviTokdTKYM

"Eight Minutes After Warning Screens Showed 1,400 Soviet ICBMS Approaching North America, on 9 November 1979, NORAD Concluded “Attack Was Underway”

William Odom on 3 June 1980 Pentagon Missile Warning Conference Call: “I Monitored the Call Last Night – Eerie”

After 3 Incidents in May and June, Secretary of Defense Brown Advised President Carter that "I Consider the Situation To Be Very Serious” "

I was on alert for one of these.

Suffice it to say , the pucker factor was high that night.

The message started something like, " For alert force, for alert force, klaxon, klaxon,klaxon”.

Right then you knew something bad was happening. The next message we got made us take the keys and poppers out of the safe and INSERT THE LAUNCH KEYS.

Only two things can happen after that; take the keys back out or turn them.

Awww, fun times; hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror.

:D
That picture looks familiar.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I grew up in the Sixties, raised on Hiroshima, and Dr Strangelove. There were plenty of reminders that fingers were on the triggers of weapons aimed at Cleveland. Seeing the the NIKE missiles erected out of the ground lockers. Seeing the afterburners of the B58 Hustler that just dropped a sonic boom while testing the NIKE’s at night.
I can tell you that knowing the crews of our bombers and missile launchers were on the job did make me sleep better. Seeing that SAC shield was like seeing the S on Superman’s chest, only real, not a comic book.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I remember "duck and cover" in elementary school. Growing up on Long Island, you knew you were a prime target with all the defense contractors located there.

·
Garbage Day!
9,395 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I was raised in the Texas Panhandle. I wished that I had saved it, but when I was kid, LIFE Magazine published a map of the USA with red circles around the sites that would most likely be targeted for annihilation by a USSR first strike.

The Pantex Plant, located northeast of Amarillo, Texas, is the nation’s primary assembly, disassembly, retrofit, and life-extension center for nuclear weapons. Consolidated Nuclear Security, LLC manages and operates the facility along with the Y-12 National Security Complex in Tennessee under a single contract from the U.S. Department of Energy/NNSA.

Amarillo Air Force Base, located eight miles east of Amarillo.
The 4128th Strategic Wing was one of SAC disbursed wings (B-52 Strategic Wings). It was activated at Amarillo AFB in 1958, but did not become operational until until Feb. 20, 1960. On February 1, 1963, it was replaced by 461st Bombardment Wing. Both wings flew B-52's.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts