Sleep number bed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pittpa, Sep 4, 2018.

1. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Anybody here have one? The ratings seem very good. I've slept in many hotel beds, no matter whether hard or soft, some were very comfortable, some intolerable. I think that after 16 years on what has been a very good mattress, my sore back deserves something better. I don't attribute my sore back to th bed, but I feel it does not help any longer. I really like the adjustability factor as I don't want to be testing and returning various beds, and the 360 app is a bonus. I'm looking at the basic C2 with no adjustable base as I have a water bed frame.

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

We’ve had one for years. I would love to replace it with a firm mattress and box spring. No matter what setting it’s at, it doesn’t have the same type of support as springs.

3. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Absolutely love mine. Been on it for 5 years now. My buddy that talked me into getting one has had his for 22 years, no problems.
    It's great to be able to adjust the firmness. I change it every now and then. The base model is how I went, then bought a 2" thick foam topper from Walmart for $30 and stuffed it in the cover.

Highly recommend.
    Tried memory foam, hated it. So glad I didn't go that direction.

pittpa likes this.
  4. mdlott

mdlott

This mirrors my experience almost exactly. Down to the topper. I still love mine. My wife complains about it, but still snores all of her cares away.

pittpa likes this.
  5. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

Had one for several years. My wife and I didn’t care for it. We both have back issues Andrew it didn’t help. Went to a Casper awhile back. It helps me a lot and my wife some.

Good luck!

AdamRodgers likes this.
  6. Dave514

Dave514

Had one for 4-5 years now. Love it. I keep it more firm than any spring mattress I've been on. Expensive but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Any spring mattress I've had is scalloped after 5 years and doesn't have the added feature of fine tuning the right support. I have tried the Tempurpedic and that was terrible for me.

7. ray9898

ray9898

I love mine, I have the C2 also. It really helped with my back pain.

8. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Have had them for years, love them.

Before buying any mattress give it a 15 minute test.

Lay on it with eyes closed 5 minutes per side (back, L side, R side).

Second, check what the return period is and make sure you return it IF NOT 100% SATISFIED.

Life is too short to skimp on the one piece of furniture you spend more of your life in than any other.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

9. sourdough44

sourdough44

We have a bed, seems fine to me, 22 yrs old or so. The wife is talking about a new mattress/bed. I’m kinda neutral on the whole ordeal.

I may check into this ‘sleep #’ bed.

10. pittpa

I'm looking at c2. $100 off now. Next one up the line is $400 more after $400 off. Major difference seem to be 3" more height of mattress and an inch or two more comfort layer. On sale to 9/10. I'll look on Thursday before I head to the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. canis latrans

canis latrans

we had one. I liked it well enough, wife didn't.

they're not as tough as they lead you to believe. although I'm a little heavy for my height, I'm not obese...and I broke one of the bed's air bladders while...let's just say I must have sharp knees, while my wife doesn't.

yeah, there was some kind of pro-rated warranty, but like I said...wife didn't like it anyway.

mdlott likes this.
  12. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

We like ours. 10+years.Im a 60. We also use a foam topper from Costco.

13. pittpa

Knee pads may have prevented this.:couch:

[​IMG]

canis latrans, AdamRodgers and mdlott like this.
  14. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

12 ish years and love it...

The difference between models is side to side adjustability vs one big air chamber...get side to side.
    The other big difference is the thickness of the memory foam topper. I got one with a 6 in thick memory foam topper built into the mattress and I cannot feel the air chamber at all. I think that is the secret to being happy with the sleep number system. If you can feel the air chamber you won’t like it, nobody does.

You can add a mattress topper, but the ones that are factory made with the mattress are contoured around the air chamber and it just fits and feels better. We originally thought we would try the mattress without the memory foam built in and just add it later but am glad we went ahead with the built in.

My one complaint is the way they make the mattresses looks like you could zip off the top and replace it after a few years, the top of the mattress literally zips off. Talking to sleep number they informed me that although replacement mattress tops can be purchased, the fit isn’t very good generally because they are not made to be modular. I guess they upholster the mattress then cut it and add the zipper so the placement isn’t consistent. Since this mattress essentially never wears out I would recommend that you protect it with multiple layers of fitted sheets and moisture proof liners.

orangejeep06 and pittpa like this.
  15. RenoF250

RenoF250

We had one, it was okay but we like the regular bed we replaced it with better. I thought they would last a long time but they get worn out just like any other bed.

16. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Those of you who've had one and have an opinion of like/didn't like, it would be helpful to know your size/shape and preferred mode of sleeping (side, back, stomach, or combinations).

A heavyset back sleeper or highly muscled side sleeper who loves it doesn't help a wiry stomach sleeper like me assess if it is a match for my preferences. Thin stomach sleepers need a pretty firm mattress to prevent sagging that feels like you're folding in half the wrong way.

Can a sleep number bed be that firm?

pizza_pablo and pittpa like this.
  17. pittpa

I added a poll, then realized if your comments don't mention what type of sleeper you are, it won't help. Oh well, never mind.

18. fireguy129

fireguy129

I like mine, but it's starting to age. The foam supports around the sides are starting to sag out, letting the 2 chambers separate and form a gully in the middle. Although it is nice setting one side to 100, the other side to 85-90 and rolling around during the night to whatever is most comfortable.

19. RPK Clone

RPK Clone

We have one but never really gave it a chance. Its a queen and we ended up needing a bigger bed so its been relegated to the guest room.
    I liked it the month or so I slept on it but never really figured out my number.

20. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I will add that we bought ours the week of Christmas at a 50% off sale. My understanding is that they have a couple big sales a year, one being around Christmas. The guy who ran the Sleep Number store at the mall was up front when we were shopping around Thanksgiving. He told us the sale was coming and that we should wait. It was still expensive, but easier to swallow the price.

We got a standard King with 6in memory foam topper built in and indivuidal air bladders. To someone’s request, I’m 6’3” 250 and a stomach/side sleeper. My sleep number is between 50 and 60 depending on how my lower back feels. If my 120lb dog sneaks on my bed at night my number goes up to 85 and it is very firm.

Maccabeus likes this.