Sleep cycle way out of wack...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by buckhunter3987, Mar 1, 2010.

1. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

I should probably post this for the night crew because they might can sympathize more than you early risers. :yawn:

I guess I'll have to give it a bump later.

This is the second sunrise I've seen in two days. I have not slept at all the past two nights. I attribute it to the past several weeks have been quite stressful, and I have never been one early to bed to begin with. I sat for the Regulation section of the CPA exam last Monday so the week prior, especially that weekend I was up late studying every night. I did get a decent nights sleep Sunday night before my exam but other than that it was 3 or 4am bed times.
    That carried all through the week as I only have to be up early two days out of the week for class, so I slept in the rest of the week.

Friday night stayed up way too late with some bourbon and fell asleep on the couch. Slept till about 2:30 on Saturday. Thats where my real problem started, Saturday night I never felt sleepy, so around 5am I decided I was just going to stay up and then I would be abel to crash at about 8 last night. It would have worked except I crashed about noon and slept till 5pm so again last night got no sleep and here I am.

I got a pot of coffee on, and am going to try and work out this afternoon before my night class. I aught to sleep great tonight if I can make it.:faint:

Anybody else ever get screwed up like this??

2. boby

boby

I get messed up like that all the time. I don't work, I go to school full time and all the classes are online. So I really don't NEED to get up at a certain time. I do however like to try and stay on a schedule.

Frequently I will be studying and just decide to go all night. Then I regret it around noon the next day...

3. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

Yup. I started a job that required me to be up at 5:30am about 2 years ago. Before that I had just graduated from college and was used to staying up until 2am and sleeping until noon most days. It took a solid 4 or 5 months to get my body on a solid routine to be tired around 10pm and up and awake at 6am. Once you get outta wack it can take some time to get back on a normal schedule.

4. Skyhook

Skyhook

Some of my fellow pilots who do the pond jumping flights have serious issues with out-of-whack sleeping routines, etc. Some call that 'jet lag', some call it something else, but several of those schedule disruptions, they claim, are helped by taking melatonin.

I have tried it on a limited scale and find that judicious usage can truly be beneficial.

YMMV, who knows, eh? :wavey:

5. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I've gone 41 weeks working an average of 81 inconsistent weekly hours - add family responsibilities, school, stress, etc. It took me two weeks to get back on a "normal" work-day/sleep night schedule. You probably need deep REM sleep...Ambien helped me and worked much better than the OTC stuff.

It took a while for all the excess "junk" I was drinking (Red Bull, Mountain Dew, coffee, coffee, more coffee, 5-hour energy) to leave my system as well.

6. hamburger

hamburger

I feel you all. I work really early on weekdays so I sleep early. Then the weekend comes and monday's another painful experience.

7. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Well I am glad to know I am not alone.:supergrin:

I've got 3 cups of coffee under my belt and hope that and my planned afternoon workout will get me through 10 when my night class gets out. Then I am going to come home and get straight in the bed, no TV, no GT, etc. I have a book I've been reading if I need to wind down some, but hopefully it will be lights out.

I am definitely suffering from the lack of REM, I just finished up some homework which should have taken 30min or so and it took me a little over an hour, the synapses are not firing on all 8.:yawn:

8. lwt210

lwt210

I was in the same boat once.

I can tell you that for me, getting totally off caffeine was the trick.

I stopped the Diet Mt. Dew, the coffee......all of it. Started drinking water and decaf.

After the three day migraine ceased to exist, I started feeling great. I started sleeping again. Dreams returned. I hadn't dreamed in years.

Started eating healthy, started walking, lost 25 pounds.....felt like five years had come off.

Now, I can sleep for five hours or eight hours at night....doesn't matter how long. I dream about the same. And I can get up at 4:30 am and start my day with decaf coffee and a healthy breakfast and stay wide awake all day.

Get off the caffeine. Heck, give up the bourbon too.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  9. Skyhook

Skyhook

10. bno762

bno762

I lose 2 days of sleep a week. Saturday in the morning I get off work and usually I may get 2-3 hours. Then on Sunday nights I stay up until I take the kids to school Monday morning. I'll lay down for a few hours in a bit before work tonight. Then usually during the week I have 2 or 3 days where I get a couple of hours of sleep and maybe 3 days of 6+ hours of sleep. I keep caffeine pills and BC headache powders close by.

I'd love to be like the kid on X-MEN2 that said he never slept.

11. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

You can reset your circadian rhythm, I picked up a book on dream analysis and only used the part where it helped me reset my clock, works like a champ.

12. Kith

Kith

You just have to keep pushing until you get to the time of day when you should go to sleep. You may have to stay awake for +/- 40ish hours to make it work.

For instance, if you wake up friday morning around 7, then stay up all night friday night, you can't let yourself fall asleep on saturday until your normal time ( for the sake of argument, let's say 9 pm).

If you are like me, you'll be tired saturday morning, and then around noon or so it'll pass and you get your 'second wind'. If you don't get tired again until sometime after midnight that night, like 2 in the morning (sunday morning) then you have to force yourself to stay awake until 9 pm sunday night.

If you fall asleep in the afternoon on saturday or sunday in the above example, you'll be changing your sleep schedule to that new time. You have to kep going until you can match up the time you go to sleep with the time you would normally go to sleep, even if it takes an extra day to make it happen.

That's the way it works for me, and any deviation from this procedure resets my sleep schedule to a new time. I've done sleep studies in the past, and categorically all of the doctors I have worked with have suggested the above method as the best natural way to reset your sleep schedule, without using medication to induce sleep during a specific period of time.

* -I am sure there are other ways and techniques which may work as well or even better, so don't take it as the only solution. Different people run in different ways.

It's hard for me, because if I let myself naturally go i'll fall asleep around 5 am and sleep until about 1 in the afternoon. The 'low point' of your day is when you should be entering the REM stage of sleep, naturally, if you let your body work to it's own clock. My 'low point' is around 7 am, in the professional opinions of the doctors I have worked with.

About coffee:
    Be careful quitting caffeine cold turkey. I drink an average of 5 pots of coffee a day (sometimes more, rarely less), and i've been like that for maybe a decade and a half.

A few months ago I went into the hospital for 28 days to do a study, and I was not allowed to have caffeine because it would skew the results. I had to stop taking in caffeine 3 days prior, and by the second day I had a headache that wouldn't quit.

Two days into the testing, (5 days without caffeine) while I was still in the control phase before any medication was administered, I had an episode. I was just standing in the hallway, talking to one of the nurses, when I got dizzy and just passed out. smacked my head on the ground pretty hard.

I was out cold for something around 45 seconds, and then I was out of it for another 11 minutes before I started to get my bearings again. They said during the first 7 minutes my blood pressure was 60 over 30 and I was pale as a ghost. It was funny after the fact (to me) because the said they tried the automatic blood pressure machines, and thought they were messed up because of the low reading. They believed it when two different nurses did it manually and got the same result.

When I was aware of my surroundings again, I was in a bed with an i.v. and a host of doctors/nurses hovering over me. I'm pretty sure the i.v. was just a saline solution, because they said they tried to flood my body with water. I had to take a heck of a leak later.

In the end it turned out ok, and I probably woulda been ok without the attention. Good news was, headache was gone when I came to again. I don't know if it had anything to do with cracking my head on the tile floor, but it wasn't a problem from there on out.

If you take in a lot of caffeine on the daily, wean yourself off of it instead of just cutting yourself off. Could lead to bad results.

Since I got out i've been drinking coffee the way I used to before I went in...old habits die hard and even though I was used to not having it, I like it and given the choice will drink as much coffee as I can get my hands on.

Normally I drink coffee to wake up in the morning. I can start my day without it, but it helps...a lot. But strangely I also can't get to sleep easily without having a few cups of coffee right before I go to bed. Without it I just lay there for a long time before I pass out, unless I am severely drained.

13. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

:wow: Thats some serious caffeine withdrawl. I don't regularly drink coffee, I have the occational cup early in the morning and after that I am done, or else I will really get my sleep pattern skrewed up. I am doing exactly what you described. I tried doing it yesterday but just didn't make it. I have definiately gotten circadian rhythm backwards, because I tried laying down last night but just layed there. I didn't start to get sleepy untill the sun started peaking in through the blinds, insert coffee here. I am doing ok now, sitting next to a window to get some natural light to influence my brain some. I think this is going to work

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010