close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sleep Apnea - Is CPAP a Prison Sentence?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by flatag, Feb 14, 2010.

1. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Sleep Apnea - Is CPAP a Prison Sentence?

I know it sounds like a stupid question but I was wondering how you CPAP users feel about having to sleep hooked up to a machine every night.

I know I have sleep apnea. I had surgery about 15 years ago to correct some things and it helped reduce the severity of my sleep apnea but didn't completely "cure" me.

Time has come when I need to be more aggressive in dealing with this. I'm going to make an appointment with a sleep doctor and I know a CPAP machine is in my future.

Convince me that this isn't the end of the world.

2. paul45

paul45

This isn't the end of the world.

3. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I hope you aren't a motivational speaker :yawn: :wavey:

4. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

Sleep Apnea is a prison sentence.CPAP is parole!:wavey:

5. badge315

badge315

Look on the bright side...you get to look like a fighter pilot while you sleep. :supergrin:

6. sigpro357

sigpro357

I use one and all I can say is wow. It's a tool just like a gun. I can unsnap mine and be out of it in less than 1 second. But when i wear it I feel alot better and I don't snore. My sleep is of better quality. I wouldn't be without one now.

Listen people get hung up about needing meds, CPAP and all the other things that come with aging. Can you still do the things that make you happy, shoot, fish, boat etc. If so then the rest of the things only prolong you're life and make it possible to obtain those things you enjoy.

My doctor discussed the CPAP with me when I went back the last time. He told me hey always make sure you use it. He said what they are finding is that the lack of air is causing stress and oxygen levels to go down during sleep. Then he said something happens like you're acid levels spike. You have a heart attack and are dead.

People will blame it on the heart attack. But it's really the lack of oxygen.

7. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

My wife started using one recently and she loves it.She has never had a more restful sleep.Another plus is that she doesn't snore anymore...:supergrin:

8. firedawg60

firedawg60

I've been on one about three years. They really help. There are some nights I wish I could sleep without it, but if I do, I feel like TOTAL crap all the next day. They're not as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.

9. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Everyone I know who has one has had a real turn around on quality of life. One lady had trouble with the mask rubbing and had to get a different one. She was barely making it to work every day and was always sick. Got the machine and within two years she was like a new woman, finished her master's degree and got a new, much better job.

10. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

Im my sisters care taker and she uses one and theyre not a prison sentence. What else are you gonna do while youre sleeping?? Other then get good quality REM sleep and breath. They fit you with a mask that is comfortable for you and they have at least 10 to choose from. There are also many benefits to wearing a CPAP. You wake up and have more energy, you stop snoring, and In many cases you lose some weight. Theyre fairly quiet and fairly low maintnence. After you use it for a month ask yourself if its a prison sentence and I bet you wont think so.

11. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I know a lot of people now days wish for "the good old times", I do myself at times.

But when it comes to medical advancements, these are the good old days for sure.

12. tinman2

tinman2

I have used a CPAP machine for about 10 years. I am now on my second machine. I have lost weight and might be able now to get by without the CPAP machine, but I have found that I sleep much better using my machine.

13. PA86

PA86

I was going to suggest surgery but I saw you already had that.

Are you, perchance, a fatty?

14. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

I read, I studied and I engaged the GT braintrust before I took the CPAP plunge. I was falling asleep at work, while driving, during meals, plus I felt like I'd been beaten with a bat on a daily basis. It honestly felt as if I'd been awake for 2 years straight. It took me almost 60 days to adapt to the machine. Some nights I'd make it all the way through and some I'd wake up, yank it off and toss it in the corner. Determined and stubborn fellow that I am, I made it and now can't imagine sleeping without it. My BP dropped 30 points and I feel energized and alert most of the time. It took 6-8 months before the energy returned and 3-4 months for the BP drop. Psychologically, I hate being "tethered" to a machine, but the health benefits have begun overcome the illogical rationale. I'm even considering a "reconditioned" machine as a spare so I can enjoy naps on the couch without having to move anything from the bedroom :)

Tom

15. templetonhal

templetonhal

CPAP is better than drugs or surgery. As many have mentioned, your quality of life dramatically goes up. Your mind is sharper and overall you feel pretty damn good throughout the day. It took me a mere 24 hours to notice the difference and by the end of the week I felt 10 years younger.

That said, it took me getting used to wearing the mask but it gets easier as time goes on.

16. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Haha, I like this. Well said.

17. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Nope, no tub o lard here.

18. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I guess that right there would make useing a CPAP worth the trouble.

19. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

It sucks and my civilian allergist indicates once we address my allergies the swelling will subside and I won't need the CPAP machine. :supergrin: I strongly recommend you seek out a well respected allergist who uses serum treatments.

An aside, I now develop painful pressure sores from the mask's forehead pads and nose pillow devices, so I can't use it more than a few days before I have to left the blood blisters heal!

This development has made the CPAP (C_CRAP) machine useless to me! :crying: :wow:

I see the Vet's hospital now and they have their heads up their rectums in regard to the sores and the allergy treatments. :steamed::moonie:

20. kahoys

kahoys

My wife is suppose to use hers nightly, and when she does I sleep better, when she chooses not to use it, I wake up feeling not as rested, due to me tossing and turning listening to her snore.