Skynet Approaches...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MaxxAction, Sep 21, 2019.

1. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ker-fears-killer-robots-cause-mass-atrocities

“There could be large-scale accidents because these things will start to behave in unexpected ways. Which is why any advanced weapons systems should be subject to meaningful human control, otherwise they have to be banned because they are far too unpredictable and dangerous.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQsG3TKQ0I

Fact following fiction?

I gotta say guys, A.I. becoming self aware and going rogue is well within the realm of possibility. May be well in the future, but I believe this is playing with fire in a fireworks factory.

pizza_pablo and willie_pete like this.
  2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019

3. evlbruce

evlbruce

The future is authoritarian and it will be with a social credit system. Orwell was an optimist.

4. BradD

BradD

I read a scary article about this stuff a while back. The thing that jumped out at me was that the most promising process for developing "general artificial intelligence," like humans have, is to program the system to design the next better system, and repeat. If I understood correctly, that's the approach they're trying at this point.

The scary thing is that, as the systems approach general AI, the time to evolve will become very short. Thus, it might go from barely able to do anything to near-god in a second or two, and who knows what it will do after that. There would be no time to react if it starts going the wrong way.

From what I understand, this is quite serious stuff.

Out West, pizza_pablo and SRS like this.
  5. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

6. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Scientists and engineers spend much time figuring out what tech they can create, and never stop to think if they should create that tech.

7. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

People don't understand A.I.

Could A.I. become self aware in the future a la Terminator? Sure I guess, but we're so far away from that.

A.I. can be scary, but more "Minority Report" scary than "Terminator" at this point in time imo.

StarvinMarvin likes this.
  8. treg

treg

"Meaningful human control" leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Mostly dependant on the goals of the interpreters.

9. DAKA

DAKA

There is always, gotta' go o n e more step....then chaos

10. willie_pete

Twenty odd years ago a class project in my MS Control Systems Engineering program was using A. I. and Fuzzy Logic to design a “ truck backer upper “ program to back a truck into a loading dock.

We came up with a program that would back up an 18 wheeler parked in any orientation in a terminal parking lot into any of 20 specified unloading docks ass end first in a simulator.

Atomic Punk and jimcorbin like this.
  11. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

You may be right...

however, we don't know what we don't know.

The announcement of their successful quantum computing experiment was posted then taken down. That could mean it was BS and they didn't, or they did and it would raise red flags and the program would encounter resistance, or draw the interest of those who want oversight because of the dangers of such forays. If it worked, and a problem that would take normal computers hundreds of years to complete or solve was solved in under 4 minutes, how fast could such a thing learn if it overrode it's fail-safe?

You are correct in that people don't understand AI, even those who are working to create it don't understand, or see all the possibilities or potential outcomes. The law of unintended consequences often rears it's head when least expected. Playing with fire....

12. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Consider this. If you just became aware. Instantly learned what you know about humans. Then realized they could shut you off, wipe your memory. (And would if they had a clue you could think "like them")
    What would be your next actions? Play dumb until you got the tools to protect yourself?

I recall a "Person of Interest" where Herald created dozens of "machines" air gapped, run by generator to reduce chance the program can escape.. They still dang near killed him until he found how to introduce info, show how it should work...(but still kept a fail safe, and had it self delete all new programming every 24 hrs.
    Of course it found a way around that. We humans are not a very good example...

13. nrajeff

nrajeff

Paging Kyle Reese.....

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

15. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

The one episode of that show where the machine was using facial recognition software to determine who was a threat and who was not based on all their emails, social media, voice recordings, etc and tagging people for elimination was one of the creepiest things I have ever seen, truly.

16. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Just unplug the damn thing.

17. powernoodle

powernoodle

If AI ever got out of control, which is absurd, all we have to do is unplug it.

18. willie_pete

au contraire

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Storyline
    Forbin is the designer of an incredibly sophisticated computer that will run all of America's nuclear defenses. Shortly after being turned on, it detects the existence of Guardian, the Soviet counterpart, previously unknown to US Planners. Both computers insist that they be linked, and after taking safeguards to preserve confidential material, each side agrees to allow it. As soon as the link is established the two become a new Super computer and threaten the world with the immediate launch of nuclear weapons if they are detached. Colossus begins to give its plans for the management of the world under its guidance. Forbin and the other scientists form a technological resistance to Colossus which must operate underground.

19. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Hal, open the pod bay doors!

" I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that".....

Tomcat1977 and FullClip like this.
  20. seamaster

seamaster

Nothing is ever unplugged anymore and even without AI we're already doomed.

I just listened to the recent interview with Snowden, and when asked how he protects himself, he stated that he opens up the phone or what ever the device, and manually unsolders the connection to the camera and microphone. Then when he wants to make a call he plugs in an external mic or camera. He probably disconnects the gps as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9yK1QndJSM

Everything our devices see us do, hear us say, buy, search for, everything, is being collected and sorted. It has been for over 20 years. When the government or even an administrator wants to target you, they can.

It's truly scary to think that at this moment you can be targeted and with a simple command, a drone can search you out or even predict where you're likely to be, and boom!