close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Skunks

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mado, Jan 3, 2003.

1. mado

mado

Not really hunting, but I though this might be the best spot to get a response.

I just bought a house in the woods. The first night I had a skunk on the back porch under my grill. I walked out to light the grill and startled it which made it spray, luckily not on me.

After a couple of days the odor subsided to the point that I could go out back to investigate. I noticed animal tracks leading under my porch and saw a large hole that was obviously being used by the skunk as a den. I left the area alone.

A few nights later one of my wife's cats got sprayed in the yard so I bought a trap and set it out with peanut butter. I tied a rope to the trap with a big loop and brought out my 20' extension pole. When I woke up this morning the skunk was in the trap and had already sprayed. Not knowing what else to do I wound up shooting it with a .22lr from about thirty yards away. I and the rifle escaped without getting sprayed. I was able to hit him in the head so he dropped on the spot.

Now the question, do skunks travel in pairs? I buried the skunk and left the trap out in the woods. I can't imagine the way the trap smells right now that it will work effectively and I'm not too sure I want to trap a second skunk at this point. What would you do?

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Where there is one there is going to be more!

You may have a whole family of them...

If you get them in a "live trap" again try this: Sneak up behind it & toss a blanket over the cage. It shouldn't spray, 99% don't... After that you will be able to take the skunk anywhere & open the cage so it can get out aways before you dispatch it there. I say dispatch because I hate what skunks do to my game birds... egg stealers that they are....... They are also disease carriers big time.

I've done this a few times, it works.

However, seeing how yours was a sprayer, your way worked good. Your place already stuck after all! ;)

3. noway

noway

agree, skunks normally uses the area you describe as den. Second best thing after you remove them (good luck), is to block all area by the porch.

My dad had the same problem as you and what he did was setup chicken wire on the deck and pin it down. He left one entrance avl and once all skunks where gone, he close that one entrance.

Thinking about this more, you could probably do the same and maybe setup up a tunnel leading into a trap. This way you an safely remove the trap and not harm the skunk nor get sprayed.

Other solutions are to place the trap after night fall. The skunks are like coons and take out for food and insect after night fall.

I heard of one guy using a radio blarring country music and a big light under his house to encourage the skunks to not camp out there.If they laid a litter of pups, then it might take awhile to remove them since a baby skunks don't go out for food until they are stronger.

( funny story)

I also had a canadian friend who had a spotted skunk as a pet. It was somehow de-sprayed and the damm animal was pretty smart and act like dog in every fashion but without the panting and bark. It did make a few small squeaks but it was a funny to see a 45year old out walking his skunk to the mailbox.

4. noway

noway

2 more thing I frogot to add;

This time of year the skunks are looking for a den due to winter, and lack of surface food due to snow and ice on the ground and their short hibernation requirements. So you might have a few and it will be hard to flush them out.

Also to keep from being spray remember to not allow the skunks to point their rears at you. When you see them curving the rear-ends at you, walk in the counter direction of their curve. The skunk will spray only as a last alternative due to the fact the skunk odors producing sack takes awhile to re-fill.

"The way I see it, if you don't bother them, then they will bother you."

Let them stay this winter but get them out before they start popping out pups.

5. mado

mado

I wouldn't mind the skunk being there if I didn't already have two run-ins with them. I certainly would not have sought out to trap and shoot it if it had just been going about its business and leaving me and the family pets alone. I'm going to hold off on setting the trap again and see if the problem is done. I'm hoping I caught the trouble maker. From its spraying habit I think it may be the one I was looking for.

I grew up in the woods and my family from time to time would have a skunk take up residence close to the house, but we never had one spray the way this one was. I think he was too used to the house being vacant prior to my move in and felt we were invading his property. The people we bought the house from only lived here three or four months a year.

6. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Kill 'em. They are a major carrier of rabies. They are not endangered. Kill 'em and be done with it. Save your cats and dogs the grief of getting sprayed again.

7. noway

noway

{hey are a major carrier of rabies. They are not endangered. Kill 'em and be done with it. }

"I find it hard to justifiy killing an animal just to kill it"

If skunks had the power to kill us for just being humans it would be a different story. Yes they carry rabies same as coons,squirrels and host of oter 4 legged animals, so I guess we should kill everything out their based on that sentence copied above.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

AMEN.........To your last reply noway.

I have lived in skunk infested country most all my life, sometimes you got to get rid of them. This is just a fact...But, red hawks and coons and a host of other things eat game bird eggs as well, but this does not justify killing them just because they do what thet were born to do.

A 'pesky problem,' dispatch, sure! But there are other benefits to those critters as well. They make good rat, mouse, and snake killers....!

My father-in-law, shoots every redhawk he sees for fear they will kill off all the quail eggs, and about everything else he can find that he thinks will eat eggs, or 'mess up wild game,' these critters have been doing what comes natural for hundreds of years, and other than an all out "pest" problem in the yard... man, lets leave them alone..

I really enjoy seeing the redhawks flying around the canyon's, and appreciate the amount of rattlers they take out, and rats and mice as well....

Get rid of what is bringing danger or damage to property or family, 'yes'. But God's been doing a great job of taking care of the 'balance of things.' :)

CanyonMan

9. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Learn to read. I never said to kill them just because. They are a major vector of rabies. Far more so than Racoons. And I've never heard of squirrels with rabies.

Having lived in the country for most of my youth, I've seen the damage done by all these critters to home and property, whether they had rabies or not. It is a good idea to keep them away from your animals and home, under any circumstance.

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Talking with several trappers-I found that if you shoot a skunk in the head you will probably get sprayed. They say it is much better to shoot them in the chest. If I shoot a skunk I will shoot it again till it is not moving.
    I also read an article in FUR FISH AND GAME 4or5 months ago by a trapper that removed over 3000 skunks without getting sprayed- worth reading. He uses a needle.
    Also note that in my state is is against the law to relocate a skunk. You have to release it or dispatch it.

11. davesglock30

davesglock30

are you serious that you have never heard of a squirrel with rabies!!?? it's like noway said almost anything in the wild is a suspect of rabies. bats, squirrels, coyotes, wolves, skunks, racoons, oppossom and many more "can" carry rabies. "can" is the key word here.

12. cedfire

cedfire

What can I say, that odor will go through anything. I had a skunk and rats under my house during the rainy season last year. The rats would get the skunk excited and then he would let loose with a spray or two.

Phew, my house smelled BAD. So bad that it would wake you up in the middle of the night.

Wound up having a pest control company come out and they set a trap. The skunk didn't fall for it.

Instead when the rain stopped he decided to leave for better surroundings.

Next time I am crawling under the house and I'm not coming out until I get him.

13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Davesglock30...and Noway, are still on the right track here...

Man i promise, i ain't out to make anyone mad.... i like being a part of the forum here... but i guess living on a ranch, all this just sounds so ... i don't know!

Just shoot the skunk in question, that is a 'genuine pest.' This "head shot, vs. "chest shot," is total baloney :)

My Dad is dead now, but trapped for a living,(among other things as well). I have lived and cowboyed most of my life in a place where it takes almost 4 hours to get to a mall to shop!

We learn to live life, and not worry about all this stuff... if there is a 'pesky skunk,' get rid of him and move on!

And yes... all the above mentioned critters, named by Noway, and Davesglock30, can have, and do get, rabies!

Even people can have rabies for crying out loud, or your dog, or cat....but in 51 years of life, i can say, with all the skunks, and critters, and rattlers, and monsters out there in the dark... we have never got rabies, or had any "dangerous trouble," with any of these.. and our home has been so far in the 'out back', it almost comes out the front! :)

I truly understand, the concern for the "kids" etc.. and pets, etc.. but, there will not be an "invation" of deadly creatures coming after anyone.. just deal with the "pest" and go on to more fun things...

"And no... this is not a insensitive note.. not at all, i like all you guys, no problem here, but let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill!

If nothing else.. keep plenty of tomato juice on hand! :).. it will get rid of all skunk smell on you and or pets.

These guys have been around for a long time, and they will continue to be, it is part of country life, and, as i understand it, even city life as well now.

We could say, this subject stinks! but i won't. :)

CanyonMan

14. m65swede

m65swede

Nearly all mammals can harbor rabies, including man. I have personally seen 2 cows that contracted the disease and we had to put them down.

Swede

15. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

all the articles I have read about trapping suggest using a conibor trap for skunk. They say it will not spray when this type of trap is used (I guess because it breaks its back?)

I also saw a documentery on skunks not long ago. I did not know it, but (at least in the past) farmers would let the skunks coexist around thier barns because they are SO good at catching mice. They are supposed to be better at it than cats! LEarn somehting new every day.;)

16. mado

mado

I didn't know about the mice catching abilities. I'm beginning to see why it was under the porch now. The former owner left about two cords of split wood under there with a tarp over the pile. There's quite a few mice living in the pile as its a nice dry home. I've been working on moving it away from the house but got kind of sidetracked when I discovered the skunk under there.

17. noway

noway

FWIW

If you are looking for a good bait for the skunks; dead crickets and veggies and fruits.

18. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

We had a skunk problem at our home where I grew up in Colorado. Skunk #1 was shot with a .22 through the head. Had to replace a section of panelling and a couple of wheelbarrows full of smelly dirt in the barn and burn some clothes. Then we called the DOW. They brought us a trap and a bottle of stuff to euthanize the trapped skunks.

We put cat food in for bait, the game warden ensured that the skunk could not spray because he would not be able to get his tail up. A filled syringe goes into the end of a piece of electrical conduit and is held in palce with duct tape. A wooden dowel inside the conduit acts as a plunger. Put the needle in the skunk and inject the "sleepy" fluid. The skunk went into a platci bag and was set out with the trash. We thought we only had one or two...we trapped 27 skunks one summer. Except for #1, the rest of the skunks were no problem and never sprayed. We returned the trap to the DOW after about 6 skunks and got our own. Our vet sold us more "sleepy" fluid. Check with your vet and DOW.

19. Guest

What he said! ;b

20. Grumpy Gardener

Grumpy Gardener

Skunks/vermin.

get a stick rap it with barbed wire and stick in the den.

shoot em as you draw em up.

I ditto the rabies worries. I've seen it back in Fallon when I was a younger. Better to kill em all when they're close to the homes.

gardener