Skunks as pets?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Spankywombat, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Spankywombat

Spankywombat

We had a friend over the other day, and she was telling us all about once having a skunk as a pet. Duh, of course you get them from breeders or a pet store, and they are de-scented.

She said it was very smart, litterbox trained (yuk, I'm not a cat fan, so this whole concept disgusts me, but I suppose better than crapping behind the sofa). Also it was a male who bonded to her and was extremely possessive.

Said the thing decided it liked one of the kitchen cabinets, and that was where they made it's bed. It would open up the cabinet and go inside by itself. When they got home, it would peek out and come greet her when called.

Apparently it had the run of the house. Nocturnal, so occasionally annoying.

I just love the whole idea of having a pet skunk. Carrying that thing around freaking people out, etc.

Whatcha think? Any experiences?

2. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

You could paint the tip of its muzzle orange... :whistling:

3. Fungunner

Fungunner

I've had a pet groundhog and rabbit. I've had friends with pet raccoons and skunks. Wouldn't recommend starting with an adult critter, but if you get one that was raised from a pup, they're similar to a cat. Never could housebreak that groundhog though.

4. AcenJay

AcenJay

It could work, they're like a big ferret. Better get it descented though. Otters are supposed to make good pets too.

5. Smoker

Smoker

Here in Kansas it's against the law to take away the animals natural defense.

6. cmb19

cmb19

Before I was born (I'm only 25, not that long ago) my dad's best friend had a pet skunk. Everybody loved the thing, it was a very good pet, but as it got older it started to get mean so he had to get rid of it. Now this was a wild caught skunk, so one from a breeder would be different. I've actually been tempted to get one before.

I've seen a couple different ones that people have as pets but have no info on how they act, the were asleep in their arms the entire time I was messing with them. :crying:

7. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Yea, have fun with that. Your house will be torn up in no time flat.

8. chuckman

chuckman

My cousin and her husband had a pet skink when I was very young (5ish). It was like a friggin cat, and would walk on a leash. It was of course descented, and was very affectionate. I have no clue where one would acquire a descented, domesticated skunk.

9. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I knew a guy who studies pets skunks and had several as pets - all of that still retained their scent gland because as it has been said, it is illegal in some places to remove it. He had to be very careful not to startle them or they would spray (the fact that he had been sprayed directly in his face several times and no longer has a sense of smell helped him to "live" with these critters). They are curious little creatures that will stomp their front paws as a warning or when they get aggravated. They are very unforgiving and will hold a grudge if they feel you have wronged them. Here is a link to Jerry's site that offers a lot of information if you are considering a skunk as a pet:

http://dragoo.org/PetSkunks.html

This is Jerry Dragoo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  10. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Hmm.. I've had squirrels, ferrets, raccoons, lizards, snakes, spiders, armadillos, oposums, turtles, and a ton of other animals for pets.

Never had a skunk as a pet though. Not sure I would try it.. I suppose if it were de-scented and if you got it at a very young age, it could make a neat pet but I don't know a about their behavior much.

11. Resqu2

Resqu2

As a small kid I had one, don't even know where we got it at, descented of course. I was carrying it outside to the building we kep it in and the dang thing bit me for no reason, that night I accidently left the building door open and the dogs killed it that night.

12. happy seal

happy seal

Had skunks and coons. Skunk was really cool, coon gets wild after a year or two.

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I like little animals so I think a Skunk would be fun and interesting.

The closest I came was raising four little Skunks in the barn.
    They were cute and played like cats.
    We had to watch walking around in the barn because we never knew where they would be and of course we didn't want to surprise them.:supergrin:

Sometimes I'd sit next to them when they ate but I didn't want to make friends because I wanted them to leave when they grew up.

They finally left home.

[​IMG]

14. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

...something in here stinks?!
    :rofl:

15. area727

area727 G23

I've always wanted a decented skunk. Just have to somehow convince:dunno: the lady of it whent he cats die.

16. Glenn129

Glenn129

I had one that a fried desented when it was young. I used to walk it on a leash.

17. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

One of my fraternity brothers had one while we were in college. It was mean and even though it was de-scented it still stunk.

No thanks....

18. k9barco

k9barco

I would bet that Jerry has a very special scent of his own.:rofl:

19. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

It's against the law to get a wild skunk. It has to bought from a breeder. From what I read online they have health problems because they're just inbreeding them over and over and over.

Of course there are ways around it but they'd be illegal.

20. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Had 2 skunks as pets.Their mother hit by a car,raised them from 3 weeks old.We never had their stinkers taken out either and nobody got sprayed including the cat which would pounce on them and roll around in the yard.They up and left one afternoon,wandered into the woods and never came back.

They are very clean animals and spent most of the early afternoon grooming.used a cat box too_Ours were afternoon active critters.

Their nails do get sharp though and trimming them without annoying the skunk is a delicate job.lol.They still can bite even if their stinker doesnt get you.