close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Skunked again, another nite of tag soup.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sharker, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Sharker

Sharker

Just venting.
    I have just finished my fourth trip in a row without getting a deer to the ground. 3 in a row with out seeing any. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, as I was seeing plenty before this drought. UGGH its to cold to sit still for that long and only see squirrels.
    I am really thankful to be able to go hunting, I just want some more deer for the freezer. I guess its time to start still hunting.
    Oh well, I am going to have to go fishing tommorrow instead. Maybe a grouper or snapper will get me out of my current drought.

2. noway

noway

Don't give up. Try and try again. You will find your deer ;)

I know don't know about you situation but down here the acron crop has been very good. The trees are loaded and thanks to wilma alot of nuts where dropped. Deer have been semi-active and hogs have been at bay for now. Squirrels are also running the tree branches and leaves.

3. Sharker

Sharker

I had luck earlier on the acorns, but they have been pretty well picked clean. Not a banner year for them here for sure. I have been hunting over rape(!?!) and its been tracked up good, but they are visiting at nite. There has not been much hunting pressure, (its been 4 weeks since I sat in the stand I was in yesterday) but alas they arent feeding during the day.
    I am really looking forward to squirrel hunting. My cousin (hes 9) is coming with me, and he will love this place, plenty of tree rats.
    I think next time I go, I am bringing my 30/30 and gonna slowly move through some of the bedding areas. Maybe I can get one up, and stop him long enough for a shot. There are plenty of deer for sure, they are just hiding in the trees right now.

4. noway

noway

Have you seen any fresh scat or tracks? If you do I would position my stand or myself in that area and watch. If what you are saying ( low hunting pressure ) the deer should be out and around.

What ever you don't give up. I'm sure a deer would be around to collect a speeding bullet from you ;)