Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
finishes it...
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this summer we're having a bit of a skunk problem where i board. unfortunately, there's quite a few strays the girls are leaving food out for and sure enough, this draws the skunks in the evenings. some of the animals are getting aggressive when happened upon. it's been quite awhile since i've dispatched anything, but would like opinions on whether a 5 1/2" buckmark loaded with velociters or solids would be an effective and humane method of taking a couple of them out from ranges not exceeding 15 to 20 yards?

i should state that discretion is the theme, hence no 9's, shottys, etc.

·
Super Moderator
19,955 Posts
Almost any full-power .22 rimfire round from a handgun is has the energy and penetration needed to kill a skunk, but how humane and effective it would be is entirely dependent on your ability to place the shot precisely where it needs to go.

At 15 to 20 yards, it would be very easy to miss the intended mark with a handgun, if only by a tiny bit, and then you'd end up with a wounded and VERY upset creature that can fight back in a non-lethal but highly effective way. Some of the more memorable hunting tales from my youth involved the shooting of skunks that did not die right away, who then had a chance to retaliate and/or retreat under a building crawlspace or porch before expiring.

I'd recommend getting MUCH closer, or using a rifle. In either case, you'll want to set up a specific kill distance; say, 10 yards, then sight-in the weapon to be used at that EXACT distance. That way, when you put the aiming point on the spot you want to hit, you KNOW that's where the bullet will go unless you botch the shot by jerking it. Next, I'd want a solid/steady shooting rest, so the gun has almost no movement during the act of shooting. Finally, I'd put out bait at a pre-selected spot, away from the building(s), for the following reasons: to make sure the animal stops and stays nearly motionless in a safe spot while you prepare to shoot, to minimize the possibility of a ricochet if you get complete penetration (you can control the angle of the shot if you know where you and the target will be ahead of time), and to keep the smell as far away from the house/buildings as possible if your plans go awry. Heck, a pre-dug hole in the yard with goodies on the edge might be the best way to handle it. Bang, nudge, shovel.

Studying-up on skunk anatomy might be a good idea, too. You want a near-instantaneous kill, so find out the spot(s) you need to hit to get the desired result.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Other means could be leg hold traps, 2 door **** traps bait with cat food, or just education with the local girls on the danger of skunks biting other animals and transmitting rabies. Unless your very good with shooting skunks at night in low light I would avoid this.

Next, if you do plan on shooting them with handgun get another set of hands an a BIG spotlight, beware of your background and spot the sucker and POP goes the weasel or in this case skunk.

fwiw: I found out if you remove the food source you remove the problem. Close all opening under the deck/foundation, and remove anything other entrance that could be used for a burrow.

YMMV

·
finishes it...
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 15 to 20 yards, it would be very easy to miss the intended mark with a handgun, if only by a tiny bit, and then you'd end up with a wounded and VERY upset creature that can fight back in a non-lethal but highly effective way. Some of the more memorable hunting tales from my youth involved the shooting of skunks that did not die right away, who then had a chance to retaliate and/or retreat under a building crawlspace or porch before expiring.
yeah, this was me erroring on the side of caution. it's very likely we'll be able to close that distance without much effort; however, i'm concerned on what to expect if one is able to deploy in the middle of herd before expiring (i think they've seen as many as 10 or so congregating at the bowls at one time). will the others follow suit (we're all getting kind'a used to the smell when we come across it in various locations, but damn...) or will they just hightail it to all four corners?

...or just education with the local girls on the danger of skunks biting other animals and transmitting rabies.
bro, if it were only so easy... they're dedicated to the point of coming out to feed them before heading to work. i empathize with them trying to make the strays more comfortable, and to their credit, they take all the new arrivals to the vet to have them checked out and fixed, but their compassion is inadvertently causing a significant problem that's going to have to be addressed one way or the other. with that said, i'll make an attempt and mention your points. the girls are also borders and i believe that the staff who run the facility don't want to cause hard feelings by directly confronting them with the issue.

...Unless your very good with shooting skunks at night in low light I would avoid this. Next, if you do plan on shooting them with handgun get another set of hands an a BIG spotlight, beware of your background and spot the sucker and POP goes the weasel or in this case skunk.
yeah. i'm a flashlight whore so i think i got that aspect covered... maybe i'll just relegate myself to this postion, unless called upon for additional support.

anyway, thx for advice, guys.

·
Super Moderator
19,955 Posts
Any way you could get above them for the shooting? Second-story window, attic window, or the equivalent? This would reduce the chance of ricochets, provide a good angle for back-of-the-head or spinal shots, and keep you out of the middle of the "herd".

Not sure what might happen if one sprays near the group as it expires. It's possible that as long as it doesn't make any noise(s) or flop around, the others may not realize there is a problem; but if it makes any hissing, alarm noises or acts aggressively as it dies, then all bets are off.

I'd prefer to engage one or two at a time, myself; less things that could go wrong. How about observing their avenue of approach for a few days/weeks, then waylaying them one or two at a time, at a distance from the buildings (in case of a problem), before they group-up at the feeding area?

How about a DEEP hole, with a board for a ramped entrance, and the food at the bottom? Remove the board quickly, shoot, shovel, and break-out the air freshener...

·
In The Saddle
8,161 Posts
Any way you could get above them for the shooting? Second-story window, attic window, or the equivalent? This would reduce the chance of ricochets, provide a good angle for back-of-the-head or spinal shots, and keep you out of the middle of the "herd".

Not sure what might happen if one sprays near the group as it expires. It's possible that as long as it doesn't make any noise(s) or flop around, the others may not realize there is a problem; but if it makes any hissing, alarm noises or acts aggressively as it dies, then all bets are off.

I'd prefer to engage one or two at a time, myself; less things that could go wrong. How about observing their avenue of approach for a few days/weeks, then waylaying them one or two at a time, at a distance from the buildings (in case of a problem), before they group-up at the feeding area?

How about a DEEP hole, with a board for a ramped entrance, and the food at the bottom? Remove the board quickly, shoot, shovel, and break-out the air freshener...

Man I don't know if you live in the city or country. But i do know it is simple to kill a skunk. a 22cal will work fine, and on up in caliber et.

Just simply get them when the are away from the house if possible and shoot them. It is as simple as that. We do this all the time, and have for years. See him , shoot him, throw him the woods or brush. It is not a science to kill a skunk. No need to make a big deal of it. See him, shoot him, and despose of him. been doing it for years... No big deal, the smell will leave in a day or two. If you live in the country, go 100/200 yds from your house and throw out some fruit on the ground, they love it. Then if you see them begin to congregate. Ease up and shot them. If all else fails, buy a bottle of coyote sent, and get it on the brush in a peremiture of 200 yds from your house, and in a circle, squrit it on every bush.... Their gone!

Botttom line, see them, shoot them, The smell will leave in a day or two... Quite simple. ;)

CM

·
finishes it...
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i took your advice and went to the range yesterday and did a few hundred rounds at 10 yards. the velocitors are pretty accurate and i was able to keep approximately 50% of them in the x ring freehanded. the rest stayed in the black. based on those results, i'd definitely need to use a make-shift rest.

we have a flatbed attached to a tractor, which could be used as a platform. it'd also provide a bit of additional defense (at least from the teeth and claws) if they were to scatter toward us when we lit one of them up.

i'm generally not out there that late so i have no clue where their trails or burrows are located. i'll ask around to determine whether anyone has an idea. i'm pretty sure they're coming from at least a couple of different locations. i suppose if we were to locate a burrow, we could attempt to bait a pit.

I'd prefer to engage one or two at a time, myself; less things that could go wrong.
agreed, the best case scenario is that they arrive at different intervals and we cap em' and dispose of em' prior to the next arrivals. however, if they arrive as a family unit, that'll bring us back to square one.

Just simply get them when the are away from the house if possible and shoot them.
it's very likely that we'll have to take care of em' in an open structure where the cat food is being placed. i'm thinking this may work to our advantage as the structure will serve as a backstop for any potential errant shots that may occur.

If all else fails, buy a bottle of coyote sent, and get it on the brush in a peremiture of 200 yds from your house, and in a circle, squrit it on every bush.... Their gone!
heh, not particularily cheap, is it?
http://www.predatorpee.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LE&Category_Code=CU

i'm curious how the horses would react. i'm going to go out on a limb and gander not too amused.

btw, glancing at your ava, you may appreciate my new aquisition as of last sunday:

he's sour as hell and spooks to his own shadow in the roundpen... i can't wait to open em' up in a month or two after he settles down a bit.:cool:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Havahart traps, when you trap one place blanket over trap and drown promptly. Problem solved. Esox357.

·
Super Moderator
19,955 Posts
Man I don't know if you live in the city or country. But i do know it is simple to kill a skunk. a 22cal will work fine, and on up in caliber et.

Just simply get them when the are away from the house if possible and shoot them. It is as simple as that. We do this all the time, and have for years. See him , shoot him, throw him the woods or brush. It is not a science to kill a skunk. No need to make a big deal of it. See him, shoot him, and despose of him. been doing it for years... No big deal, the smell will leave in a day or two. If you live in the country, go 100/200 yds from your house and throw out some fruit on the ground, they love it. Then if you see them begin to congregate. Ease up and shot them. If all else fails, buy a bottle of coyote sent, and get it on the brush in a peremiture of 200 yds from your house, and in a circle, squrit it on every bush.... Their gone!

Botttom lineg, see them, shoot them, The smell will leave in a day or two... Quite simple. ;)

CM
CM, the original poster set out a proposed plan for eradicating some skunks, without giving many details of the surrounding area, etc. I threw out some ideas, based on the facts he provided, some safety concerns, and my experience in this area. Through the give-and-take, I figured I'd get some more info and input from him about what would and wouldn't work, and he would refine his plan and take care of his problem.

Your assumption that he can just wander out 200 yards from his house and pop the critters would probably work fine where YOU live, but would NOT work well in the circumstances and areas where many other folks live. If you had read through all his posts, you might have noticed that he references a nearby "facility", being a boarder (so he probably doesn't own the property), dispatching the critters humanely, and doing it with discretion. I tried to address various options for fulfilling these requirements, hoping some part of my suggestions might be helpful. Yes, they were overkill-times-1000 for someone who lives out in the country, with no neighbors in the area, no property owners and other tenants close by, no one who might notify the authorities about gunfire and/or dead critters, and who can wait a couple of days for any foul smell to dissipate without worrying about enraging the neighbors. Please understand that many of us are not so lucky as you are, to live in an area where this is possible. Also understand, that if the task as he saw it was that simple, he probably wouldn't have posted the thread in the FIRST place, now would he?

I do understand the basics of the task; if you look at the first sentence of my first post, and the second sentence of your post (after you got in your little poke at my living arrangements/history), you'd see they are surprisingly similar. I think the original poster also has a good grasp of the basics, he just wanted to get some input to mull-over and consider, which I and the other posters provided. Now he has your very simplistic take on the task, to add to his dataset. I'm sure he can make a solid decision and solve the problem now that he has gotten all our input and opinions, even if he couldn't before (unlikely, as he sounds rather competent to me).

·
Super Moderator
19,955 Posts
(snip)
we have a flatbed attached to a tractor, which could be used as a platform.
(snip)
There ya go! Park it cross-wind to the target area, throw on a few small hay bales for camouflage, comfort (while waiting), and shooting rests; bring along a sturdy trash bag or two for carting-off the remains, and you're all set!

One final thought: some ranchers I know (through shooting on their property) do not allow empty .22 rimfire casings to be left in areas where livestock/horses live/run/graze. Something about a possibility of them getting one lodged in their mouth or nostrils; I didn't pay close attention to the reasons, I just made a note to pick up all my casings (or use a brass catcher). Your BuckMark will sling those empty casings at least 10-15 feet, and possibly much farther if you are in an elevated position. Might be worth some consideration beforehand, if you think it might be a problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I still think a good ole victor leg trap would do wonder in this enviroment. You could construct a alley way out of some boards,logs & side of a building etc.. bait the far end with some food and have at it.

If you have neighbors, worry about sound, ricochet, the horse eating a casing, etc..... the leg trap or better yet a body trap would do wonders. You might catch a few unwanted animals (possum,feral cats,etc.....) but you would be helping out in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
19,955 Posts
I read the first post to say that the other tenants are leaving food out for stray cats (I assume because they like them), and Murphy's Law should tell you what the first animal in any trap would be. The cutest kitten in the bunch, screeching it's head off, too, I'd bet. That could negatively affect a person's popularity with the neighbors.

Otherwise a trap WOULD be the best way to go. Works 24/7, makes transport a snap, and gives you a release option if there are any PETA folks living in the area... :supergrin:

·
Banned
2,465 Posts
SKUNK SHOOT! Now thats something that I have never done. Heck! I havent seen a Skunk in Alabama since I was a kid. Dang it! Well anyways happy skunk shooting.

·
Banned
4,116 Posts
I read the first post to say that the other tenants are leaving food out for stray cats (I assume because they like them), and Murphy's Law should tell you what the first animal in any trap would be. The cutest kitten in the bunch, screeching it's head off, too, I'd bet. That could negatively affect a person's popularity with the neighbors.

Otherwise a trap WOULD be the best way to go. Works 24/7, makes transport a snap, and gives you a release option if there are any PETA folks living in the area... :supergrin:
Wait a second...PO'd skunk...and carrying him in a cage that puts no solid barrier between you? I sure wouldn't be the one to do that!! Better get the tomato juice ready if you carry him out in a trap:tongueout:

·
finishes it...
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just an update. the 1st annual summer skunk shoot is a go for tomorrow evening. thanks for all the great advice, gentlemen. i'll follow up with results (and perhaps a pic or two) over the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
19,955 Posts
Wait a second...PO'd skunk...and carrying him in a cage that puts no solid barrier between you? I sure wouldn't be the one to do that!! Better get the tomato juice ready if you carry him out in a trap:tongueout:
Hmmm.

Obviously I didn't think that one through all the way.

Perhaps a large garbage bag could be pressed into service? An old blanket? The neighbor-you-don't-like's gas grill cover? :supergrin:

Even then, the trap might not be very hospitable for the next use. Heck, even if you could pick it up and carry it around, I don't think most folks would want to put it in the trunk or truck box. Okay, forget that idea completely.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
A set of these carefully place would take care of the problems, easy cleanup,etc.....

Only thing, they don't know the difference of a skunk or cat , so animals be aware.

·
finishes it...
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
following up with results; we took 4 tonight. i've never seen that many skunks wandering around before. there were 5 of us motoring around in a couple of golf carts with flashlights throughout the area (we didn't set up where i thought we were going to). I got off a few rounds to finish off a couple of them.

i'll post some pics tomorrow after i go back out there in the light. right now i'm still slightly nauseous and am running some laundry before i crash...

·
finishes it...
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
our prey...

·
Super Moderator
19,955 Posts
Flat-bed trailers, golf carts; whatever works, and your results speak for themselves!

Any of them spray before expiring, or as you approached/engaged?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts