SKS vs. Nagant?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Apr 3, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Let's compare the Yugo SKS to the Mosin Nagant (cheaper versions, not the $400+ models).

Pros of the SKS...

Semi-auto (I think that's the biggest one)
    Holds 10rds. with a standard mag
    Uses the widely available 7.62x39
    Has a decent number of aftermarket part options

Pros of the Nagant...

CHEAP!!
    Few moving parts
    Uses the powerful 7.62x54r
    Simple to take apart/clean

Both are durable and reliable. Both can shoot 200yds or so without difficulty. I think I read somewhere that someone made a 1500yd shot (at a 5'x5' target) with the Nagant.

I'm pretty set on ordering a crate of Nagants. IMO they will store better over time with less springs/parts issues if not used for 50+ years compared to an SKS, but that's just my opinion.

I'm just curious to see how the two compare to each other. And if there is something major I've missed that shows the SKS at 4+ times the cost each is a better value...I just might go with that instead.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks! :)

-Emt1581

2. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Interesting thread. Got me thinking. Why do you want to store a crate of guns for 50 years? Are you going to live for sure for 50 years?
    What happens at the end of 50 years?

I have bought guns to shoot, I have bought guns in case I need high power defensive weapons for SHTF paranoia, never bought a whole case to store for 50 years.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Am I going to live for 50 years? Well the men in my family tend to die young. However, I'm not yet 30...so I'd say 50 years give or take a few, sure. When I die, as with all of my other guns, they go to my kids/grandkids if not used by then.

I to have guns to shoot and if I need power, I have a .50BMG. But this crate would sort of act like an insurance policy if the SHTF. Being able to hand 20 people, that I trust, a gun to defend themselves, family, friends, me, etc. with is sort of comforting. On top of that, it would take all of 10 minutes to teach them how to safely use the gun.

Another reason I want to buy a decent amount of them is that they are cheap...now. In time I can see the price going up.

Now for the not so pleasant part...

Although I'm optimistic and have faith in America, I'm not so warm and fuzzy about the government. It's not nice to think about or say but I'm pretty confident that, before I'm dead, guns will be either highly regulated/restricted, too expensive for the common man to own, or banned altogether. They're already trying to do that with ammunition in some states. It just seems like the logical result of the past 75-100yrs. that is unless there is a MASSIVE turn around in the way the gov. operates in this country and/or a revolution takes place, guns just won't be allowed in the future. I want to at least have the option of fighting for what I believe in rather than just become a slave of the gov....I want my kids to have that same option. Now if they choose to roll over and submit, well, that's their choice, but at least I left them with the opportunity to fight if the need arose.

The "crate" wouldn't be for them, but just as I'm buying them, they'd be for other friends/family to fight with. They'll have some pretty nice guns to pick from before having to open the crate.

And if 100-200yrs from now the crate has never been opened/emptied, well, that'll just mean that the American citizens did a good job in shaping their government and postponed watering the tree of Liberty for a while.

-Emt1581

4. ChrisTKHarris

ChrisTKHarris I like to shoot

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oh I have a bunch of both already...but I can't afford a crate of both. In any case, I'm just looking to see how they stack up against each other.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

6. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Depends on the situation that you're in.

I used to live in Georgia that had lots of trees and urban environments.
    I would have grabbed an SKS back then. It's all a matter of environment.
    I live in WYoming now, lot's of open land with hills and mountains.
    I'd obviously take the Nagant for this snowy rural environment.

7. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Just curious... how many is "a crate?"

8. ChrisTKHarris

20 I think?

9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

-Emt1581

10. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Wowzers.

Then I say the nagant. But as grey said, your environment should have a say in what you pick as well.

After you get that crate, you need a sealed pack of ammo for each. :wavey:

11. inzone

inzone

I have been doing the exact same thing.... I have bought up a whole bunch of both mosin nagants 91/30's (those bayonets are awesome by the way!) and a whole bunch of sks's.... the yugoslavians at gun shows are still inexpensive.... and I buy up the spam cans of ammo every payday....

MY PLAN: fwiw...is to arm up a group of folks if and when tshtf/twotwaki/etc.... safety in numbers.... I have my immediate family, add in extended family and add in some close friends who i can count on and I figure several neighbors close by....

it aint a perfect plan...but its a plan and I actually think it would give us a fighting chance against the gangs of thugs which will no doubt slither out form the nearby city in our direction...

I can feed 'em and I can arm 'em,,,,that is my insurance policy......

12. ChrisTKHarris

Is the inside of your house covered in tin foil as well?

13. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

lol, I don't blame him. I think it's a decent plan.
    Buying tons of guns and arming oneself is never stupid. :tongueout:

14. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Dont mean to sidetrack this into a SHTF thread, but if it happened on some type of massive, no holds barred level.....you are defenseless against a nuclear, biological or chemical attack. What we used to think of as "conventional warfare" is a thing of the past and that's one reason these surplus firearms are so cheap. The idea of having several cheap, reliable weapons is a good one though. I hope our country never reaches the point that so many others have, where most citizens are considered as "rebels". The Mosin carbines(M38, M44)would be much better choices than the longer, unwieldly 91 or 91/30.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  15. inzone

inzone

I used to live in sacramento....I assume your comment was in good humor.... my background in the military was in operations research.... and friend!...if you aren't seriously prepping right now, my advice to you would be to start.... if you had any idea just how many BIG shoes are going to drop in the future you would understand....

study history.... and, I can afford to be wrong, can you?.... p.s. I bought 20 Russian SKS's before the Klinton AWB ban (although SKS's technically didnt get banned)...at 200 dollars apiece brand new....I can easily get 450 dollars for all of them right now.. you can buy a lot of tin foil with that!

16. Lothar

Lothar Noob

IMO this thread needs to be covered in tinfoil.

haha.

If I had the money to buy a crate of M44's assuming that = 20 x 100 I wouldn't be using the money for that. I would buy something in a caliber that OUR military uses.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Against WMD, guns ARE pretty much useless. Against an organized force with tanks, rockets, etc...they don't offer a whole lot either. But there are a LOT of enemies that a Nagant would be VERY effective against. Nothing says no or stop trying to kill me like a high powered rifle bullet to the skull.

-Emt1581

18. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

And if you already had a dozen of such guns?

-Emt1581

19. ChrisTKHarris

Yeah I was joking. I understand being prepared, but when you (not you specifically) start talking about arming people around you...it starts to sound a little like paranoia/conspiracy theories and black helicopters.

To each his own.

/threadjack

20. crazyc

crazyc

how do you start your own post?