GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The way prices are now, yeah you done good. A year ago I'd say that was too much.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
$250 to $450. Depending on condition and accessories. Although I don’t like folding stocks on ak or sks. No cheek weld.

·
1911 lover
10,134 Posts
I paid a bit more to get sks in cosmoline / chinese / vietnam era. I got 2 of them. One was way better than the other.

You did fine.
Dont forget you need to keep the firing pin clean and lightly oiled.. if the firing pin sticks the gun can fire like an auto..

·
Registered
10 Posts
A little off subject, sorry. I have a SKS paratrooper model carbine that has the folding Choate stock. It came with bayonet and grenade launcher. I can not find anywhere a wooden original stock for the Chicom para model. Any help out there?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That is an ok price in today's market. Most SKS buyers want an original version without the tactical add-ons. Converting it back to standard format with wood stock and 10 round magazine will be an additional expense.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
In this market that's a good price; the stock looks like an old Combat Exchange folder; not a great stock, but people like them, so you can sell it easily and get an original wood stock or a Choate or Ramline poly stock...

·
Millenium #3936
6,232 Posts
A SKS in bubba configuration is never a $400 gun in my opinion, its just not. If it were a pristine white bolt russian in the cosmo.. perhaps. A (d) or (m) series.. maybe but not this offering. I say enjoy it, be safe and for goodness sake, get rid of the duckbill mag and revert that poor rifle back to proper configuration. Sure, I think you overpaid by a good margin but if you are pleased, that is all that really matters.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
A SKS in bubba configuration is never a $400 gun in my opinion, its just not. If it were a pristine white bolt russian in the cosmo.. perhaps. A (d) or (m) series.. maybe but not this offering. I say enjoy it, be safe and for goodness sake, get rid of the duckbill mag and revert that poor rifle back to proper configuration. Sure, I think you overpaid by a good margin but if you are pleased, that is all that really matters.
And I remember when they were $60 back in the good old days. Wow....

·
Huge Member
10,942 Posts
A little off subject, sorry. I have a SKS paratrooper model carbine that has the folding Choate stock. It came with bayonet and grenade launcher. I can not find anywhere a wooden original stock for the Chicom para model. Any help out there?
First just about any SKS stock will fit the Para model. It has a cut down barrel but the stock is the same.

Second, never heard of Chinese SKS with grenade launcher let alone one a Para model. I'd really like to see that. Post pics if you can.

Reactions: tacticaljoey

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I remember when you could get 5 or 6 SKSs for that price, but that was a long time ago. Personally I’d rather get a new bolt action rifle but price sounds real good for these days.

·
Build the Wall
10,205 Posts
I think you did good, I love SKS' too.

Reactions: MSP Sarge

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I thought I’d update you guys, been to “the range” 3 times (aka friend with plenty of land)
And no misfires , FTF, everything ran smooth as butter, even with the tapco 5rds pinned mags I bubbaed to accept 18rds
Very accurate, did some prone sniper type shooting and could blow the crab apple up at 75 yards
And btw all serial numbers match on parts , I’m very pleased with my purchase

Attachments

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Metal, I would say your good to go, nice socks, an original wooden stock and wood upper handguard are still easily found as well as a green sling.
The original attached magazine would have been serial numbered to the rifle, but hey who cares, the Zombies will stay away from your house.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You may already be aware of it, but don’t insert/remove that Tapco mag on a closed bolt.
The feed lips will get damaged, the bolt was designed to work with the fixed mag.
The last SKS I bought was in an ATI Monte Carlo stock and had a Tapco 20 round mag with feed lips spread so wide it wouldn’t hold ammo.
Also, Tapco is gone, at least for now. I think the last of the new mags are gone from stock and used are getting stupid expensive. Been rumors that since Sportsman’s Warehouse bought Tapco from Remington in bankruptcy we might get more mags.
I went back with the 10 round fixed mag, never had any issues with Tapcos but strippers feed easier in the factory mag. I found mine on eBay from Russia, new unissued without a s/n for $69 shipped a few years ago. The Archangel mags are a nice but pricey option too.

·
Registered
14,702 Posts
Christmas 1988; SKS was $49 at the Pomona, CA Gun Show. 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 Russian was $49 too. All my children got one from Santa. :fred:
So you're saying all OP needs is a time machine LOL.

I hope some of the posts above are right, that $400 is now a good deal for a bubba'd Chinese SKS. Cuz that's what I paid for this 1970-mfg'd Yugo just a few years ago with all matching numbers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts