SKS bolt mod

Discussion in 'SKS Carbiners' started by Veedubklown, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

Just bought an SKS last weekend at a gun show for $250, lookin at some work to do to it, I'm really intriged by this bolt mod. Effectively, it allows you to drop/insert a mag with the bolt closed. I found a thread about it on another forum, (http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=23876.0) but I'm a member here, so I figured I'd post here :whistling: My questions are;

Anyone done this mod?

Does it affect accuracy? I would think it would cause the bolt to lock up less consistently, I'm trying to make a 3 gun rifle that will compete with guys in my club with ARs, and I wanna make em cry with my rifle that cost 1/4 of thiers :tongueout:

Does it affect reliability? Such as the bolt cocking down because of the lower rails being ground off? From what I understand, this is just emulating the SKS-M and D bolts, that use the AK mags, so in effect, it's just a re-manufacture of something that's battle proven. Anyone have different results?

2. Duece McCracken

Duece McCracken

The mod itself is super easy to do, just did it on mine, lol. I am taking it to the range tomorrow, i'll drop a line with my findings. It really shouldn't affect anything in a negative fashion.

3. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

Any luck with your range report yet? Also some shots of your bolt would be great.

4. Duece McCracken

Duece McCracken

Range was a great time. My Yugo functioned flawlessly and i didn't notice any accuracy loss. As far as pics I could probably get some up this week, the mod is pretty self explanatory, you really just grind off the magazine locking tabs, which leaves one side flush and the other side flush to the step in the bolt. I just used a dremel grinding stone, then finished it with a fine sanding wheel.

Shot a good 240 rounds outta her. I had some tapco mag issues in the beginning, but they were brand new and are now more broken in, no issues after the first couple loadings. The bolt had no issues at all. Cycled and fired like a pro. As always its alot of fun shooting the Sks.

5. shellster

shellster Locked & Loaded

Did it myself with a dremel. As a little advice to anyone doing it themselves:
    You don't have to remove all the lip metal, just the majority of it. You have to go a little farther down than the bottom of the original slant of the side you are grinding on. Also I recommend griding all the way up to the groove, that is on either side of the piece where the grinding takes place.

It was pretty easy but it took me about an hour and a half (I went slow and careful).

6. Duece McCracken

Duece McCracken

Well done Shellster, It really is a super easy mod that makes the Sks more functional with loading and unloading.

7. shellster

shellster Locked & Loaded

Thanks Duece and thanks Veedubklown for the thread.

8. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

I finally got my high cap mags in, and did this. It's been too windy to make it out to the range though :crying: Can't wait to try it out.

9. Duece McCracken

Duece McCracken

Nice, I just hacked off my bayonet lug. My friends keep complaining how front heavy the Yugo is, i can shoot it fine, but I teach other people how to shoot on it. So I chopped it off and shaved a pound off the front. Handles a lot better now.

10. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

I forgot to ever return to this thread, lol. My bolt looks exactly like the ones in the linked thread on the OP. Nothing changed with the rifle, I don't see why anyone with removable mags wouldn't do this.

11. AustinTx

AustinTx

Looks like trying to make another silk purse out of a pigs ear.

Is it all that hard to use a stripper clip, for reloading?

12. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

I like stripper clips, I really do. They just have issues that are inherent with their existence. They were meant to be disposable, so they're easy to dent, bend etc. Hard to find at gunshows, over-priced on line, and mags are pretty cheap. It's fun to have 20 rounds ready for you right there, and I can change a mag faster than you can load 2 stripper clips.

I wouldn't mind adapting my mags for stripper clips, if I had some, but I don't, so it's not a concern. Also there's the issue of loading your ammo, so you can load your ammo :tongueout:

The best benefit of this, is how much easier it makes it to clear a jam, since I don't have to hold my bolt locked back to remove the mag if something occurs.

13. AustinTx

AustinTx

This is a good place to find out about cutting stuff off of a Yugo SKS. They, BTW seem to be very well built guns. The ones that I've seen, looked as good as any modern, civilian gun. Very nice machine work and finish.

I thought that the Yugos were allowed to be imported because they were classified as C&R. I also, read somewhere that if you change anything(drastically), it becomes an illegal gun, because it's no longer C or R.

What is the opinion, here?

14. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

They can be imported to the US in original condition, I've seen em with the original muzzle breaks.

However, some states, like CA I believe, don't allow the "assault weapon" type options. They require the bayonet and grenade launcher to be rendered unusuable, but welding a different muzzle brake that the bayonet won't fit over, and also won't fit the grenades. That way they can leave the single shot gas valves, grenade launcher sights, and bayonets on the rifle.

If you change things from the stock configuration, you now go into the "922r" code game. There's points involved based on the options of the rifle that you have, but it pertains to imported semi-automatic military style rifles. It's alot more complicated than I want to explain here, because there's alot to it. I touch on it briefly on the thread I did about building my SKS.

My opinion is, if your going to hack your SKS, do your homework to make sure you won't be traveling to the range with an illeagally owned firearm. Like sticking a forward grip on the rail of your glock. Sure is fun to shoot really quick, and a felony.

15. AustinTx

AustinTx

Veedubklown

That 922r compliance thing is what I was wondering about. The YUGO can be modified by taking stuff off or adding and as long as we don't have the evil pistol grip and hi-cap detachable mag there, it's still legal, right.

16. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

Hi-cap or not, detachable is detachable. Your changing it from it's original configuration. You can take stuff off, or add a bi-pod or scope, that's all fine.

17. AustinTx

AustinTx

Thanks,

It was the detachable/fixed mag thing that I didn't quite have straight. I remember that when I got my first SKS, thinking that it probably never would be classified as some sort of evil gun, because of the 10 round, fixed mag feature. After I got started with the AK47, I just sort of forgot everything that I ever knew about the SKS.

A Chinese SKS or any AK makes a good deer gun, in wooded country. The Chinese SKS seems to be the lightest and the AK is great with a 5 or 10 round mag.

18. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

Theres a chinease made 20 round fixed mag, that's still complient. With stripper clips you can drop that pretty quick.

19. AustinTx

AustinTx

I have one of those 20 round mags. It's new, but will not work. I think it's the follower or maybe spring. They cost too much anyway, I can do without.