close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

skool me of ridin lawn mowers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by lee2, Jan 4, 2010.

1. lee2

lee2

without breaking the bank and not buying a commercial walk behind, whats a good riding lawnmower that will last.
    thanks.
    :wavey:

2. Vigilant

Vigilant

Buy a good used John Deere. This is a great time to buy also. Watch Ebay and Craigslist, although I have about had it with Ebay.

You will need to tell us how big a lawn you plan to cut for an accurate answer as to size.

3. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

Over the years, I've had 2 Craftsman lawn tractors that plowed snow, moved rocks, and hauled just about anything that would fit in the tow behind trailer. The grass cutting was a breese. they were 20 hp and 18 hp. In between I got cheap and bought a Yard Machine that only lasted a couple years.

Currently have a 20 HP with 46 inch deck. Never any problems.

4. PH-Wolf

PH-Wolf

I have a Cub Cadet GT2542. It has a 20hp Kohler V-Twin, Shaft-drive, Cast Iron Hydro-trans. I bought it back in 2007, paid a little over $3,300 for it and so far no issues. Easy to maintain and work on. You can removed the Deck without tools. IMO, Its a great tractor.
    The John Deere X300 is also a good buy. That was my second choice.

5. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I have no complaints about my Huskee Supreme.

It's made by MTD, like almost all riding mowers. I think the higher end Cub Cadets and JD's are made by someone else. :dunno:

6. feelinlucky?

feelinlucky?

As mentioned...the tractors are all very similar, but I strongly recommend a Kohler engine over B and S.

7. Smashy

Smashy

8. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

I have a John Deere STX 38 that is 15 or 16 years old and still going strong. For what it's worth I think I have changed the oil maybe 6 times. I don't know why but the oil always looks good.

9. Jack Greenwell

Jack Greenwell

Lowes, home depot, and others have very similar products the thing to look for is the motor most mowers this is the first thing in most mowers to go wrong. Kohler, and briggs and stratton are good briggs being my favorite as the parts can be found easier than most others. Brands that make their own engine or the salesperson cannot tell you who makes the motor (assuming you trust their claim) are bad I also stay away from tecumseh as finding parts sucks. Also never get a mower that has a breakthough new system, it takes years of trial and error to work problems out of a new system and a warranty helps but taking your mower out of action 10 times in a year is no good no matter if it is covered by warranty. I work at home depot in the garden center and have a total of 5 years in the garden area.

10. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

I have a 1972 Wheel Horse with a 12hp Kolher on it. The only thing plastic on it is the seat, steering wheel, gas tank and dash board. Still runs like a top. Never been rebuilt.

11. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

12. racer11

racer11

If you buy a Kubota,,,you will never need to buy a mower again

13. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

I have the GT2550. Shaft drive, easy to work on, as he said above tooless removal of the deck for service and cleaning. I have about 150 hours on it and purchased it about 4 years ago. Great tractor, :wavey:

14. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I have a John Deere rider. Its about 2 years old. I would highly recommend it--its definitely bad-***.

15. RustySocket

RustySocket

Most are very similar. Iv'e had better luck with the Kohler than Briggs powered. Remember that the largest cut is not always best.... if you plan on bagging and live in a wet/damp climate.

16. .357sigger

.357sigger NRA Member

Dixie Chopper or Ferris.....accept no substitute :cool:

17. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

The first of this year I bought a John Deere X300 for $2700. I had looked at a comparable Kubota and would have made the dealer an offer on it, but the dealership was a little too far away from my home for when I needed parts. It would have been close to the same price and they are heck of a good mower. I've had John Deere's and there is no complaint there. The X300 has a 17 horse Kawasaki(???) engine and it is very fine. All of the Cub Cadets are made by MTD in Martin, TN.
    FWIW stay away from the John Deere's at Lowes and Home Depot. They are lighter and cheaper made than the X line and won't last over the long term.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010