close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Skirt Steak

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Zeebrahed, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Zeebrahed

Zeebrahed Metal Patriot Millennium Member

I love skirt steak, but can anyone tell me something to do with it other than fajitas?

2. Erich

Erich Millennium Member

You can grill it the way the Koreans do! Yum.

But I can't remember my recipe for the marinade - sorry, partner, it's at home and I'm not.

3. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

You can cook a skirt steak the same way that you cook a flank steak, but remember that the grain in a skirt steak goes the opposite way than the grain in a flank steak. Since they are a little tough, you have to slice them thin. Most skirt steaks are about eight inches long and 3 inches wide. Cut the skirt steak in half so that you have two pieces that are about three inches by four inches, cut along the four inch side. My favorite way is to make a rub of 1 1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. Rub it into the skirt steak, along with a coating of olive oil, then put it on a very hot grill, turn it over once, cook till done (10-15 minutes total) let it rest for about five minutes, carve and serve. Serve with beer.;c

4. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Slice it across the grain in strips about 1/2" wide, and roll them up and push a bamboo skewer through the roll to hold it. This will absorb and hold a lot of your choice of marinade or sauce. Broil quickly over a hot grill.

5. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

For some reason I thought this was going to be a totally different topic....

6. lwt210

lwt210

One book that I have has recipies for skirt and flank cuts. There is one for beef sates and yam nua yang or grilled beef salad.

The first is a southeast Asian dish and the second one is a Thai dish.

The book is "How to Grill" by S. Raichlen and has some pretty decent recipes in it. I found mine at a discount book store for cheap.

It also has a recipe for fajitas which you mentioned you were tiring of.

7. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai Sensei Member

;z

8. Remander

Remander

We grill it and slice it against the grain very thin and make what we call THAI FAJITAS. No, the Thai's don't do it, but we do, and it's good.

It was orignally a recipe for Thai grilled beef salad, but my wife had the idea to wrap it in a tortilla, and it rocks.

Treat the meat with tenderizer (then punch with a fork several times to tenderize)and black pepper. Grill for about 6 or 8 minutes on high to get to medium rare, and slice thin.

Toppings: Cilantro, tomatoes, chiles or jalapenoes, cucumber slices, fresh mint, Thai fish sauce (if you like), bean sprouts, and any other FRESH veggie ingredients. Wrap all in a tortilla.

This is very different from the old grilled onion and bell pepper fajita taste. The cilantro, mint and other fresh stuff makes it a quite distinct dish, and it is very good.

Trust me. Experiment with your favorite fresh herbs and veggies. It's good.