close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

skirt steak revisted

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by K.C. Dia, Nov 8, 2004.

1. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

This weekend, I decided to take my own advise and try cooking a skirt steak like a flank steak. Both skirt steak and flank steak are a little tough, so I adapted one of my favorite flank steak recipes from a Julia Child cookbook from the 60's. You marinade the steak and then cook it over a hot grill. The adapted marinade is as follows: Two tablespoons of olive oil, two tablespoons of worcestershire sauce, juice of one lime, one tablespoon of mexican oregano, and one large garlic clove minced. Score the skirt steak with an X pattern on both sides to facilitate the marinade being absorbed. Marinade the skirt steak for two to six hours in the refrierator. About a half hour before cooking, remove from marinade and cover with your favorite rub. Grill over high heat for 12-16 minutes, let it rest for five minutes, then slice thinly accross the grain at an angle. The results were great, like a flank steak cooked with this technique, the skirt steak was much more tender and juicy, yet still had the great skirt steak taste. Worth a try.

2. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

We call that "fajitas" in TX. It's an art here.

3. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

Yes,but arn't fajitas sliced first, then fried on a super hot cast-iron skillet, then served on flour tortillas with pico de gallo? However, the end result is probably the same,they are darn good. I served mine with black beans, you would probably use pintos in Texas.

4. noway

noway

Yeap that's a fajita. Skirt steak is one of the most nice "scrapes" of a cow. the old days that meat was thrown away or given to the lower class of people. Cook the right way and marinade correctly, it can be a very good cut of meat.

5. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

Marinate, grill, slice, serve...Real fajitas are not done in a skillet.

;f

6. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai Sensei Member

Julia Child's "Skirt Steak"???

^3