skin cancer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by manfred the wonder d, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

[​IMG]

This is what the lifeguard at the beach wore when I was a kid.
    It also kept off the rain and seagull poop. :suntan:

2. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

I spend a lot of time on the beach, but it is all under a big umbrella. I see girls sunbathing who will look like leather by the time they are 40.

LEO/Dad, glock1097 and Caver 60 like this.

3. OUSooner

OUSooner

I just had Mohs surgery 2 months ago to remove cancer on my nose. I have two pre cancerous spots on my back I have to get rechecked in April. Hats and suncreen for me from now on. I don't want to go through that again.

Caver 60 likes this.
  4. BSA70

BSA70

My friends brother is close to the end now due to this cancer. About 8 years ago they found cancer on a toe and amputated. Thought everything was ok until it come back full force 7 years later.

I had a friend that had some spots come up on his ear. He did not act fast enough, went from his ear straight to his brain.

The stuff is nothing to play with. I cant imagine why under a nail is so common. I figured it would have to be out on the skin where the sun really hits.

Caver 60 likes this.
  5. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    :)
    Yeah. This is pretty controlled.

Blue light therapy is most commonly used to treat sun damage and premalignant or malignant skin cancer growths. It can actually be used to prevent skin cancer and remove both precancerous skin lesions and cancerous skin lesions that haven’t spread to other areas of the body (or metastasized).

Photodynamic therapy can be used to treat skin cancer. It causes the photosynthesizing drug that’s been applied to the skin to react with oxygen, killing the cancer cells. It may also be used to trigger an immune system defense or damage the blood vessels feeding the cancer cells.

glock1097 likes this.
  6. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

The damage is done when you are young. What you did 30 years ago causes skin cancer now. Some say sunscreen does not work either.

IMO going out in the sun is okay. It is overdoing it as a sun worshiper that causes the problems later.

I was a sun worshiper when young. I could go to the beach all day and not get burned because some summers I worked outside without a shirt. Bad idea as I am not naturally dark.

A few years back I had a sore that did not heal between my shoulder blades. My GP said it was squamous but when a plastic surgeon cut it out it turned out to be basal. They did not fool around and I can still feel a dent with my finger where he cut it out. They numbed the area but I could feel the doctor pulling like he was carving a turkey.

I have since had a couple spots removed by laser. Interesting how different doctors remove it differently. This is a big business for an aging generation that worshiped the sun.

One last thing. My doctors downplayed the skin cancer as something that was just there but should be removed. Maybe they did not want a nervous patient.

glock1097 and Caver 60 like this.
  7. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I have had all three skin cancers including melanoma. I have stopped counting the stitches on my face, ears and arms..
    Go every four months for a complete body scan...

glock1097 and Caver 60 like this.
  8. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    No. You don't even get a noticeable burn except I did the first time. I thought I could walk from the car to the store a few times without the hat, on the way home from the treatment on a sunny day. There's a reason they give you a disposable hat when you leave the office. They also insist you apply sunblock before leaving, or they apply it for you.

Caver 60 and Rotn1 like this.
  9. Ftttu

Ftttu

My blonde-haired/blue-eyed neighbor is out in her yard every day tending to her animals and other things, and she has her little 6 years old red-haired daughter out there with her - both without protection.

They see me every day all covered up, but it doesn’t seem to phase her even after I’ve informed her of the dangers.

My sister owned a tanning bed and it frequently out in the sun with just sunscreen on. She’ll be 62 next week, and her skin is terrible looking. She thinks I’m overdoing it by covering up so much. I don’t see how she, my neighbor and everyone else aren’t more concerned about this issue.

Caver 60 likes this.
  10. glock1097

glock1097

Okay, you’ve got me concerned. I spent a lot of time by the water as a kid and young adult. I was always tanned.
    Now I’ve got freckles that turn red or bleed. Definitely will have to get them looked at.
    Thanks

Caver 60 likes this.
  11. Caver 60

Caver 60

Our D.I.L recently went in for a place that she had noticed. She had never seen a dermatologist before

Doc said that place was OK, but found a three color mole that was dangerous. Left a good size scar on her back. The doc said they got it all.

12. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I have had basil and squamous. Two Mohs procedures. Back, cheek forehead and leg. Have an appointment in February for another on my back. 73, up until two years ago, never knew what a Dermatologist was. She makes you strip nude for thorough exam. She has frozen several spots all over my body.

13. STI

STI

Have all checked 4 times a year plus 2-3 mri and pet scans, also chest xray and blood work