Skin cancer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Trench Sweeper, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I got the diagnosis yesterday. I have had a place on the middle finger of my left hand for awhile. Honestly, don't remember when it came up. I just thought it was a scar. It is pink and looks like one although I couldn't remember hurting it.
    But it is hot/cold sensitive and peels. The other day I was at my family Dr. And mentioned it to him. He looked at it and said he thought maybe it was fungal. He gave me some cream and refered me to a Dermatologist saying if the cream gets rid of it just cancel your appointment.
    They did a biopsy of it and I went back yesterday to get the two stitches removed. The nurse said while your here your results came back let's see what it says. She looked and said the Dr will want to talk with you.
    Long story short I have squamous cell carcinoma. Apparently if you have to have skin cancer this is one of the better to have but still I was sort of in a state of shock all day yesterday. Today, life is back to normal. I am not scared or worried I know God has a plan and I have nothing to worry about.
    I am only posting this because I was talking to my best buddy about it and he said I have a couple spots that look just like that here on my arm. Which he does. He is making a appointment today.
    From what the dermatologist told me this is fairly common in people who drive alot. The sun exposure through windows or windshield of a vehicle can cause it. So if you have any pink scar looking spots that peel and you dont remember getting hurt at you might want to go get checked out especially my brothers in blue, truck drivers, or anyone else spending lots of time in a vehicle.
    It is a surgical removal and I have a appointment with a hand surgeon coming up so I am going to be fine but be on the look out guys. It can happen to anybody.
    This is a picture of what it looks like, this is my finger.
    20190718_081846.jpg

2. rogn

rogn real dogs

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, as you know none are good, some just less bad. I hope firther staging and Dx turn up favorably. I wish you well . You and current medicine should lick this thing.

3. -JCN-

-JCN-

Glad you got it checked out!

Chemical and solvent exposure can increase the chances of mutations and cancer, so gentle reminder that nitrile gloves can be your friend when working with nasty stuff.

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Hate to hear it, but happy to hear that it'll likely be a distant memory in the future. Here's hoping for a quick & complete recovery.

:cheers:

Also, thank you for the PSA... You never know when that unknown scab is going to turn out to be cancer. Best to be proactive about it.

5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

That's the truth right there.

6. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

50 yrs in Fla...many such growths removed...[we] knew so little about such exposure back "then"....Derm told me most of the damage done when young, and takes until our 50's 60's to "blossom"....heck, my sister laced baby-oil with Iodine to get tan...!!

7. hannstv

hannstv

The cure rate on that skin cancer is very high. On 4/15 this year I had a melanoma removed from my scalp. Was shocked it came up that quickly as I go in every couple years and the doc freezes a few places and checks me over. I did spend a lot of time in the sun during my life.

Trench Sweeper and paynter2 like this.
  8. Arklay Ishimura

Arklay Ishimura Relocating to Missouri if God allows.

Prayers sent. Glad to see it's not a more serious form. You likely did good by getting it checked out sooner rather than later.

pipedreams and Trench Sweeper like this.
  9. reniram

reniram

So true.

10. NJ1911

NJ1911

Glad it all worked out. I get checked once a year since I had some basal cell on my nose removed a couple years ago. Also be aware of something that comes and goes. I am apparently one of those rare few that gets skin cancer, then it heals. The spot on my nose looked like a raised mole, but would then "deflate" and be smooth again with no sign of anything. Then the next year would come back. I went through about 3-4 cycles of that before having it checked. The doctor even told me, skin cancer doesn't come and go but apparently yours does.

Trench Sweeper likes this.
  11. cruz lee

cruz lee

had basal cell carcinoma removed from my skull years ago. all been good so far...

12. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I have basal cell skin cancer. Go to the skin doc. Twice a year for check ups. He freezes any off with no problems . idea is to not go out in the sun without sun block. Good advice for everyone.

Trench Sweeper, cruz lee and Bus007 like this.
  13. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Damn that looks nasty! Glad you got it diagnosed in time.

14. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

I remember the days I washed my hands acetone, and handled toulene with no protection. Hope that doesn't come back to haunt me.

15. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I've had basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas removed. I don't pay much attention to them. I do go to the dermatologist on a yearly basis for a body check. Like you, I had a melanoma removed from the left cheek of my face. That's what gets my attention. Melanoma is the one you really don't want.

Advice - send your kids to school to be dermatologists. Big money, tons of patients and regular hours (no on-call). They must be the envy of all other doctors.

16. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I worked on power line construction when I was a kid. We used a 3M product to kill trees at the stump after felling them. IIRC It was called Amate. It was mixed into a salt base. I wonder what chemicals were in that stuff? It's no longer produced and I can't find any info on the web.

You'd spread a ring of the product around the stump over the outside growth ring of the tree. No shoots or anything would grow out of the stump after the application.

Trench Sweeper and Ramjet38 like this.
  17. Z71bill

Z71bill

I had basal cell carcinoma removed from my face back in 2008.

Also found some pre-cancerous growths on my back and top of my head - and took samples of a few small spots that the dermatologist thought were melanoma - he was right about most of them.

I went back and he chopped them off - and also took a chunk off my face off about the size of my thumb.

I went back every 6 months for a few years and they never found any more issues -

My insurance changed and the dermatologist I had been seeing was no longer on my plan - I was always planning to find another - but never got around to it.

My wife had a small spot on her chest - she was concerned about it - she discovered our prior dermatologist was back on our insurance - so she booked an appointment for both of us.

Her spot was tested and came back as nothing - but

He found a bunch of spots he was concerned about on me - mostly on the top of my head -

He sent them off and three came back as melanoma - and a bunch more as pre-cancerous growth.

I went in last Tuesday and he cut the cancer off - burned the other spots off with liquid nitrogen (I think that is what he used) -

It only took him 20 minutes - he said I should come back in December to make sure he got it / doesn't come back.

18. Struggle_Russ

Struggle_Russ

Well damn man, glad you got it checked out and it will be fine.
    It pink area just looks like a "hotspot" from friction or something. Can't blame you for not paying too much attention to it for a while.

19. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

My generation grew up as "sun worshippers." In gramma's day they avoided the sun. They wore hats and long sleeves and gloves even as they did field work because they wanted the prestige of being identified as office workers. Working in an office was more prestigious than field work.

Then, my generation actively sought suntans. A dark suntan implied you had the luxury of spending time on beaches, leisure, etc. We didn't know it would make your skin look like reptilian leather, along with those other things.

Just sayin'.

20. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I had a basal cell removed from my back, and another from my cheek. I had squamous cell spots removed from leg, and another from above left eye. They did the Mohs surgery on the squamous in order to get all the roots out. I am seeing Dermatologist every three or four months now. She froze a bunch of spots with liquid nitrogen. That was fun.