Sizing

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PrincessCelica, May 7, 2007.

1. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

I was thinking the other day (dangerous I know!) and I've come to the conclusion that manufacturers need to standardize sizes. A small needs to be a small no matter what. Ditto for pants; a 7 needs to be a 7 regardless of what brand it is.

I'm going through my closet and realized I have pants that range from a size 3 to a size 11. They all fit. It's not like I've been going through any funky weight changes. So um, why am I skinny enough for a size 3 but fat enough to be a size 11 at the same time?

I also have shirts ranging from a children's medium to an adult large. :headscratch: Again, each shirt fits me fine. It's ridiculous. Anyone else have this problem?

2. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Join the *****ing parade. I've been complaining about this for well over a year now.

Try finding ANYthing that will fit a 34-26-33. They may as well direct you to the children's department.

They call it "vanity sizing" and frankly, it sucks. Notice that they don't do it over in the men's department either. Go figure. It's because men don't care if they are a size 30 or a size 44. They'll buy what they need no matter what number size is on the tag.

3. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

I was lucky when longer jeans came into fashion. When I first made the switch from children's clothes to juniors, I had to buy my pants WAAAAAAAAAY too big in the waist to get them to fit my legs. Now I can buy pants that fit both my legs and my waist without having to delve too deeply.

I don't know what my actual measurements are, and honestly wouldn't even know how to measure. If someone could instruct me, I'd appreciate it.

4. Singlemalt

Singlemalt In the rough

:supergrin:.......I could tell you but easier to assist......:supergrin:

5. SouthernGal

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Taking-Body-Measurements.asp

Some magazines like VS will show a body picture and show you where to line the tape measure up in order to measure yourself for clothes.

6. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

Some catalogues for younger women (ex. Alloy, Delia's) suggest that pants can be worn around the waist or around the hips; they tell you to measure where you want your pants to fit and order accordingly. At least that seems to be more of a choice.

I saw a catalogue (Blair) where a "small" was a size 8-10. Guess they don't think that women smaller than that will order from them. :shocked:

7. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

You sound about the same size as I am - Not sure how tall you are (but probably taller than I am - everyone is)
    I have been stuck buying my clothes from the "juniors" dept all my life. It can be a bit frustrating, as some of the fashions the teens wear would look ridiculous on me...but what do you do?! I am between a 1 and a 3, depending on the cut of that particular item, so anything in the "womens" dept is automatically too big (so I don't even bother.)

Even after I find something that fits ok, I still end up wacking off about 4" off the hem - I guess everyone in this country is 5'6" or taller....except me...and I refuse to wear any heel higher than 4" (and then only for special events - what is heck is wrong with flats and why can't I buy jeans that accomidate wearing them?!?)

8. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

I'm stuck in the middle on pants. The "regulars" are just too short after having been washed, and even sometimes before. The "talls" are too long and drag. I'm too lazy to actually hem them, though.

9. SouthernGal

Yep! We're about the same size. I'm 5'3" and I can still buy in the junior's department OR if I want, in the children's sizes if I can find 14s. I wear anywhere between a 00 to a 3.

Very few designers have kept sizes small enough for us in their line. Ralph Lauren seems to be an exception as is Liz Claiborne and CK. I've resorted to buying used clothing online. As you probably know, if you don't sew, having alterations done is tricky and can be expensive.

Banana Republic and other companies have come out with a 00 size which does fit me but I'm not crazy about their styles.

10. SouthernGal

You're right. Usually a catalog will tell you how to measure yourself for THEIR particular brand.

11. SouthernGal

The fact that I know how to sew has saved my rear end more than once. Sometimes I think I'm the only short person still alive.

12. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

I know how you feel, even as a "guy." But not your average Joe, just your average "John" (slang for Navajo to Navajos). See, we are not known for having big butts..........or in my case.....any butt at all! So when ever I get pants, no matter what brand, it looks like I have a potato in me bum. I always tell my friends that we should open up a jeans company around the 4 Corners area (which also resembles me bum) and sell pnats just for Indin folk with our dimensions of course.

13. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

I can so understand..I am 5'0" so I have to hem EVERYTHING and it really is frustrating. I do not sew, so I have to hire someone to do it for me, or I just hack them off and give them the ol" good enough" hem...makes me wish I was 5'11" and was a size 0...but, as we all know, that is pretty creepy. Women with curves...when did that go out of style?!

14. SouthernGal

I can handle a hem or two but changing a waist to take it in gets tricky for me. Some of my old ("fat") clothes are still in my closet and I won't get rid of them because I looked so hard for them to begin with. But, they're sizes 10 and 12 and will need serious inches taken out of the waist and rear end before I can wear them.

You aren't the shortest person on the planet. My mom (who is 4'11") has you beat. :)

15. SouthernGal

Is this where the lack of ass comes from? Is this an Indian thing? I'm part Native American and don't have much of one either.

16. windplex

windplex

I found this at Wal-Mart in the men's department. Seems like everything I buy there has to by a size smaller to fit.

Not sure if it is vanity sizing or for practical purposes due to wal-mart's customer base getting larger or being larger. I shop there so not putting anyone down.

At one time sizes were too small I thought due to having things made in the far east and the size of men there. Not any more.

Men do care less about the size number and about getting bigger IMO and in my observation. Heck some men feel bad about being too small and would prefer to be bigger. Know a fellow who is has to shop in the kids department mainly due to his slim waste and it bothers him how slim he is. And men's sizing used to include his size but not longer does and so off to the kids department.

Good luck to you ladies!

17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

lol ..

i too am a guy with problems ..

as is my dad .. he wears some weird pant size with a weird length ..

and since im cheap .. i have problems finding things at walmart ..

then also tshirts are another matter ..

like with certain T's .. an xl fits fine .. others a xl is tight ..

others a large is fine .. it sucks trying to clothes shop ..

oh and also another thing .. both things of hanes tshirts or some manufacter like that .. i got 2 packs of tshirts .. one white and one black .. the friggin white ones dont fit while the blacks are fine ..

18. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Sadly, for some, it may be so. I personally don't mind at all. Regarding Indin women I mean.

19. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

There are times I wonder if I've got some black in me somewhere. If I do, it shows up in my booty! Not that I'm complaining:supergrin:

20. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

The mix between Black folk and Indins has produced some mighty fine behinds!.....er....I mean people!