GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Had my LTC almost 25 years. I’ve drawn it twice. Both times on vicious dogs.

The first dog bit the neighbor’s child on the face earlier that day. The neighbors warned me about it. Animal control hadn’t caught up with it. I came home and it was sitting in front of my front door. As I approached, it stood up and bared its teeth. I pulled my gun and prepared to shoot. It apparently sensed something wrong, put its head down, and walked away.

The second one came at me while I was bicycling. Pepper spray had little effect. I pulled my gun and prepared to shoot. My plan was to dump the entire can of pepper spray into its mouth. At that point, if it was still charging me, I was going to shoot it. Fortunately, it gave up after putting nearly half a can of spray into its mouth. The dog had no collar and no tags. I called animal control and I never saw it again.

Rabies is a big problem in this area. This is actually the main reason I carry. Even had a rabid skunk and a coyote in this area a few years back.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've had my permit since... probably give a take a week or two of when I joined GT. Thankfully, have never actually had to point the gun at anyone.

I have surely had plenty of things happen that made me glad I *did* have it. Aggressive panhandlers (I dealt with one of those guys once who just wouldn't quit, chased me around my car even), road ragers, etc. There were also a couple freak shootings around the area where I used to live a couple years ago, but those brought on lifestyle changes (like I picked a different gym and a new place to run outside) more than anything.

Probably the biggest reason I carry is because I have branch keys and thus, am literally walking around with access to a *lot* of money.

Reactions: motorcycleman

·
NRA Life Member
5,379 Posts
Been carrying since 1996 when Reno PD said they would not respond to burglaries or fender benders... LOL

Never have had to 'present' in all these years, and I'm good with that! Hoping this trend will continue uninterrupted!!!
:waving:

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I’ve been legally carrying since 2009, outside of work I’ve never had to draw my weapon thankfully. But at the same time I won’t go check the mail without it on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 1L26

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I think so much depends on where one lives & how you run your life. My most serious time was where I wasn’t able to carry. In a sense I ‘feigned’ a weapon, he decided to go away.

Not that I recommend that method, just what I had available.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Most will live a full and natural and never need a firearm. You’re much more likely to need your cellphone. Your experience is the norm.

That said, in the unlikely event that you find yourself needing a firearm, a phone won’t be much consolation.
For the last six, almost seven years I have carried daily and legally. Before that I might have carried anyway, but that's not the issue here. Never in all the time that I have carried a concealed firearm have I had to draw the gun, let alone fire it to defend myself or others. I have had a few times that I placed my right hand on my gun in its pocket holster, or moved my shirt aside so that I could draw the gun from my OWB holster while sitting in my car, but the situations never progressed to the point that I actually drew the gun out of its holster. I would guess that my experience in this regard is not unusual.

I live in an area considered "safe". I avoid being in places where I might reasonably expect to encounter trouble of any sort. And I live a lifestyle that would not make me noticed by someone looking for an easy target. My wife thinks that I am paranoid for even carrying a gun at any time, and that does not bother me. Hopefully I will go my entire life to come without needing a gun, but I plan on being prepared for that "just in case" event.

I wonder how many others here have had the same experience of never needing to draw.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I suspect that's the idea, and best case scenario: we're armed but never need our weapons. Even a good shoot in self defense will likely rain trouble upon us, as the cops investigate and the civil suits ramp up (unless your state protects you from that crap). I've been a member of CCW Safe for years, so I have legal representation. But I NEVER want to draw my weapon "for real". I will if necessary; just don't want the hassle.

Cheers.
For the last six, almost seven years I have carried daily and legally. Before that I might have carried anyway, but that's not the issue here. Never in all the time that I have carried a concealed firearm have I had to draw the gun, let alone fire it to defend myself or others. I have had a few times that I placed my right hand on my gun in its pocket holster, or moved my shirt aside so that I could draw the gun from my OWB holster while sitting in my car, but the situations never progressed to the point that I actually drew the gun out of its holster. I would guess that my experience in this regard is not unusual.

I live in an area considered "safe". I avoid being in places where I might reasonably expect to encounter trouble of any sort. And I live a lifestyle that would not make me noticed by someone looking for an easy target. My wife thinks that I am paranoid for even carrying a gun at any time, and that does not bother me. Hopefully I will go my entire life to come without needing a gun, but I plan on being prepared for that "just in case" event.

I wonder how many others here have had the same experience of never needing to draw.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts