Sister is in bootcamp, what should I send her?

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by phx223, Jul 21, 2009.

1. LilCop2002

LilCop2002

Bleh...

2. Flattop67

Flattop67

Hey Guys, I see a couple of you are here at Shaw, good to know.

3. pal2511

pal2511

I never got to check out any nurses at wilford hall...at that point in my life it might have been too much eye candy for me to have!

4. Morris

Morris CLM

Ahh, Wilford Hall. Remember it briefly in basic, then was in VAQ across the highway when in CATM school. Nurses wouldn't give me the time of day until they heard I was Guard AND I worked for a major video game player maker (making more coin than a seasoned major).

But quite a few were easy on my eyes. Too bad Wilford Hall was known as a farm club for the officer marriage system. :)

5. Ralff

Ralff

Was just there myself. Got myself some eye surgery. Before I was eyesight handicapped, I did enjoy what I saw. :)

6. phx223

phx223

No, no job yet. She was to pick one out this week, but I keep missing her phone calls (I don't remember getting anywhere near the slack she is getting, but I did go to boot 7 years ago for the Navy so its a little different) so I am not sure what she got. I am still a little upset with her for allowing the recruiter allow her to accept a career field she didn't want (well five jobs pertaining to sat comms, when she wanted medical or photo), and then going to bootcamp with just a general field, which means she could end up as a cook or in fuels (and in the Navy those jobs sucked).

Kept with your advice and just sent a bunch of letters, and urged my family to do the same, and she always writes how she is swamped with letters to read every night and how she has all her free time taken up with responses on sundays. She struggled for a while there (has always looked up to me and I have always had a problem with questioning authority, which was a plus in my short career as a nuke, but made life hard whenever I had to deal with the rest of the military), but is doing well now and is getting really ansy about graduation (sadly I will not be able to make it as I have a class I cannot miss during the departing flight times).

Thanks for all your advice, and sorry for not writing back sooner.

7. Morris

Morris CLM

If I found my recruiter today, I'd kick him so hard his momma would feel labor pains again.

I was cajoled with the promise of loadmaster by going in general mechanical. Bwhahahahahahahaha! Riiiiiight. I was slotted for a loadmaster for 10 seconds, then was going to be a jet engine mechanic. Thought that would be cool, A&P license, make coin when I got out. When I got to Lowry AFB (now closed) and they welcomed me to the Armament Loader school, I was a tad peeved.

On paper, in contract or no go.

8. phx223

phx223

Thats what I told her, I saw too many navy recruits get screwed into ****ty jobs (granted mine was on paper and sucked too, but I wouldn't have done any other job for the Navy) by not having a job specified on contract.

Loadmaster is now just general, at least it was on the general list on military.com, I saw it on the the list of jobs my sister could get (she did well enough on the ASVAB to get any job in the General field) and was convinced that it was a crappy job and pushed her towards medical, ATC and photography, but I guess I was wrong about the loadmaster position.

9. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

n p Lets all hope she gets a decent job, Medical would be the better route, you are right. But what ever her job is, she will have a chance to try and cross train around the same time she would have to obtain a CJR. She will have to keep that in mind as she learns her job and gets to her first base. Even if her job sucks, keep a positive attitude to keep her record clean.

Too bad not all recruiters are the same. Mine was upfront and told me the real deal, but of course he had no problems meeting his numbers, he turned more away than he put in. You have to admit though, Lowery was a great base, I enjoyed my time there. I did electronic fundies there as well as my set school for F-111 Com, Nav, ECM.

10. Morris

Morris CLM

Ahh, Colfax Avenue . . . :)

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

The first thing I learned when I got to Lackland was that my recruiter lied to me. Imagine that.

12. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Remember a late night walk back to base on that wonderful road:whistling:

13. phx223

phx223

Hell I would not have minded (is that a word?) if an Air Force recruiter would have lied to me, any job in the AF beats the Navy out of the water...
    But I didn't even go over to the AF after the Navy started talking about operating a nuclear power plant...
    If only I knew then...

14. LilCop2002

LilCop2002

phx223,

If you don't mind, shoot me a PM. I'd like to get some additional info to see if I may have trained her since she's been here.