Sirius XM radio

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sombunya, Sep 19, 2019.

1. STI

STI

I have never had them refuse my offer stay firm and polite if POSSIBLE never use a credit card always mail you a bill.

sombunya and Rotn1 like this.
  2. Blade37db

Blade37db

Dealing with Sirius XM is like buying a car. All haggle

sombunya and Rotn1 like this.

3. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I used to do that, then 3 different people said no more. I don’t have authorization to follow through and cancel it since my aunt is fine paying the 350.

4. Guss

Guss

If you got that deal, you're good. But it's no longer offered.

SCHADENFREUDE likes this.
  5. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I am on auto renewal and have no idea what I pay.

Don’t care.

I listen to it all the time.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  6. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    When I joined many moon ago I read the fine print and it stated “Lifetime for the radio”

That made me think that if you got a new radio you would have to get another subscription so I didn’t get it.

Not sure if it’s true or not.

SCHADENFREUDE likes this.
  7. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Same here. I switched to monthly billing, which is just 1/12th the annual price, so no increase over annual. I might try to haggle them down, but we listen to it all the time in the car, so it's worth it. Best thing ever for road trips, too...you don't have to hunt for a new station every 30 minutes.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  8. Guss

Guss

I've been off it about a year now. About every two weeks they email me an offer to renew for $5/month. It's actually a bit more than that because of some mystery fees they tack on (seems like a couple of dollars). The offer is usually for a 6 month term, but sometimes it's 12 months.

The trick is to make sure you get the expiration date on your calendar and call to cancel two or three weeks before it's over. They will eagerly try to lure you back with discounts that will get progressively cheaper the longer you dicker with them (Tell them you enjoy your local stations, listen to MP3, etc). It's rare that they go below $5/month, but I've had it happen for a 3-month term. The cancellation number is 866-635-5020. Have your account number on hand too. The saving is well worth the time invested.

If you seriously cancel for good, be prepared to tell them to take you off their calling list or they will pester you regularly with their promotion of the week.

Personally, I've got a modern car with HD Digital radio and there are plenty of local stations that have gone digital. And as long as I'm in a cell zone, I've got streaming audio through my smartphone which can be sent to the car's audio system by cable or by Bluetooth. Throw in the MP3 capability, and there's really no justification for me to have Sirius. I guess if I were a long-distance trucker, Sirius might do something for me, but for now, I'll spend that money elsewhere. Sirius kind of got stale with me before long.

sombunya likes this.
  9. Jump

Jump

I started paying 20 dollars per month. Each auto renewal time I called to cancel, the price kept going down. I'm now paying 5 dollars a month and that is still too much.

And what's with the commercials? I'm paying for radio, I should not have to listen to crap commercials!

Jump

sombunya and treg like this.
  10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This...

They are HIGHLY negotiable.

sombunya likes this.
  11. RJ Schuknecht

RJ Schuknecht

I bought my truck in March 2008. It came with one year of free Sirius. The free year expired in March 2009, I purchased a lifetime subscription for $399. Still using that service today.

papershoot and SCHADENFREUDE like this.
  12. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

It was the best thing going years ago. I spend 48hrs per week in a car so FM radio doesn’t cut it.

Now I would never pay for it. I can get tons of podcast for free on my iPhone and play them over the car speakers.

There is more hours of audio on podcasts these days than I could ever crack the surface of. And they are becoming very popular so more podcasts are added everyday.

I mostly listen to a WW2 history podcast, Stone Cold Steve Austin’s, and Dave Meltzers professional wrestling podcast.

I don’t really care to listen to the news or political stations.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Rotn1 and treg like this.
  13. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

That's what I do.

Rotn1 and sombunya like this.
  14. sas-G19

sas-G19

SB:
    Let your subscription expire and when they call you to renew ask what specials they offer and hold out for the 12 months for ~$60 deal.
    I can justify that cost, the higher ones are just too rich for me.
    -steve

sombunya likes this.
  15. azron

azron

just turn it off and use spotify, i heart radio, tune in etc on your cell phone and link it into the car via your preferred bluetooth method.

sombunya likes this.
  16. treg

treg

Not listening to the radio at all will force you to think for yourself.

Yup, $5 / month is a GREAT deal.

sombunya likes this.
  17. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

My Wife has it in her car, but my 2003 GMC PU doesn't have it.
    I only fill my PU about once a month, so just FM radio, and CD's work just fine. Since I retired, I go to the range every other week, and the hardware store around the corner, once in a while.

18. cqb451

cqb451

A handful of years ago it dawned on me.....I had a decent smart phone (Samsung) and the stereo in the Tahoe has blue-tooth capability. AND I have an unlimited phone data plan for $50 per month.
    Why oh why do I need to pay Sirius/XM anything at all when I literally have the world of music, news and radio at my fingertips??? There are tons of apps out there. My favorites are iHeart Radio, 356Live & Radio Americana. I often listen to a New Zealand jazz station called Cool Blue Taupo.
    In addition I can transition easily from the vehicle to the house with blue-tooth speakers. The choices are endless.

When I cancelled XM they practilly cried. Weeks of phone calls to get me to stay aboard & so on. Nope. The choices available with the technology provided by my phone greatly surpasses anything a subscription service like XM would ever provide. The last desperate attempt by XM to 'renew' the subscription was finally an admission by the sales lady that yes.....XM's business model is getting old and has not kept up with the times.

sombunya likes this.
  19. donp

donp

I just made a change a few weeks ago. Was paying 60 something per quarter. Told them I wanted a better rate, they shot me a number that wasn’t much less. I said what about the $4.99 per month, plus tax etc little over $6 per month total. That’s the new rate that I got

Jump, Rotn1 and cqb451 like this.
  20. SK2344

SK2344

I call them the week before the renewal date and tell them to cancel my service. I then tell them that I am on a fixed income and can't afford the monthly payments. I also tell them to Email me if and when they have their promotional special of $ 30 for six months but they are reluctant to do this so I tell them to cancel my service. I ALWAYS get them to make me a offer of $30 for 5 months service, then I accept. I never pay more than $30 for either 6 or 5 months and I have been doing this for two years and it always works for me!