Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting excerpted from Wiki about polar bears and the 9mm v 10mm defense:
LINK https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Dog_Sled_Patrol

Equipment

M1917 Enfield rifle introduced during World War I

Glock 20 pistol

Because of the special nature of Sirius Sled Patrol operations, a wide range of unique equipment is required that is not normally used by the Danish armed forces.

The weapons carried also reflect the harsh conditions. Among the equipment used by the Sirius Sledge Patrol is the M1917 Enfield bolt-action rifle chambered in .30-06 Springfield, known in Danish service as the Gevær M/53, and the Glock 20 pistol chambered in 10mm Auto.

The Sirius Patrol uses the standard .30-06 Spingfield 168-grain (10.89 g) armor piercing, M2 military rifle round and also civilian hollow-points. The patrolmen feel that the M2 military round is best against aggressive polar bears at long range, but that the hollow-points are better against an enraged musk ox. Typically, the patrolmen arrange their stripper clips so every third round is a hollow-point.

The patrol formerly used Pistol M/49 sidearms chambered in 9×19mm Parabellum, but they proved insufficient against the polar bears encountered.

"The weapons carried also reflect the harsh conditions. Only bolt-action rifles (M17/M53) perform reliably. The standard SIG210 Neuhausen sidearm was recently replaced by the 10mm Glock 20, as the stopping power of multiple 9mm rounds proved to be insufficient against a polar bear."

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Those Sirius Dogs have a real bad sense of humor...hence the name.

Recently, sled-patrolmen Erik and Lars needed their G20s after the dogs overheard this:

ERIK: I have a dog that has no nose.
LARS: How does he smell?
ERIK: Awful!
LARS: I had to shoot my dog.
ERIK: Was he mad?
LARS: Well...he wasn't too happy about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.