close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sinus surgery in two weeks

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I HAVE to have sinus surgery, according to two doctors - I got a second opinion. Full details in two weeks. Barf, I'm not looking forward to the pain suffering. For those of who have had it done, was it worth it?

2. okie

okie GT Mayor

Good luck to ya my friend, I hope all will go well for ya:angel:

3. fiasconva

fiasconva

My wife had it done a few years ago and it was well worth it. She was averaging at least one severe sinus infection about every 6 months. I think she's had one in the last 3 years or so. Not much pain and recovery in quick. She said she never knew what being able to really breathe felt like until the surgery. Good luck!

4. Geezer Glide

Geezer Glide NRA Life Member

I had it done over 20 years ago and I would do it again tomorrow if I needed it. No regrets here.

5. Glock1963

Glock1963

I had deviated septum surgery a few years ago. Maybe my expectations were too high but the results left a lot to be desired. I would say that, overall, it was probably worth it but the benefits were not the night and day difference that I was made to believe.

In fairness, though, I have quite a few allergies and I am sure that complicates and distorts the benefits of surgery.

6. 22GlockTx

22GlockTx

We just had my 6 year old's tonsils removed due to his constant sinus infections. The doc said this was the first step and that if it didnt stop then we will move onto sinus surgery...

We are hopeful this works, as living with a 6 year that gets sinus infections 2 weeks after getting medication for it is not cool.

7. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Anyone else?

Thanks.

8. Glacken

Glacken

During WWII I worked under a GP. For sinus problems: if the patient could afford surgery, he would operate, then repeat it after a few years, otherwise he would reccommend shaking some salt onto ones palm, adding water, then inhaling the water through the nose.

When I returned to Pittsburgh, sinus problems returned, but were relieved by this salt water sniffing.

Re operations: surely there has been progress over 60 years.

9. schild

schild

Sinus surgery two years ago this month, left nostril was closing from scar tissue and problems with septum. Doctor used dissolvable packing, but didn't tell me to use saline solution to get the packing to dissolve.

I kept telling doctor that I had packing in my nose but he did nothing, by May I was in the ER with Toxic Shock Sepsis attacking my heart, was in the ICU for 12 days, was intubated for 3 days while I was unconscious. I came real close to death.

I was at my new ENT Thursday getting checked out for prostate cancer surgery on Tuesday, my ENT told me I may need another surgery to correct the damage done by the first nose surgery.

The moral of the story is search for the best ENT that you can find!
    If you have any questions pm me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  10. kiole

kiole

I had it done when i was 15ish about 7-8 years ago. I had cronic sinus issues and infections. I used to have alot of nose bleeds and general issues with my sinuses. I then was told i needed surgery, and too this day I haven't decided if it was worth it. I was in pain after the surgery for a while, and had some intense nose bleeds. I sneezed two or three times during school and would end up at the doctor cause I was bleeding so bad they had to cauterize a vessel in my nose. The most uncomfortable time of my life was during the time when the packing was still in my nasal cavity and when it got removed it has to be the most disgusting thing i've seen.

I will say while I still get somewhat bad sinus infections and sinus issues it is no where near what it used to be. They used to ruin my life and now it's more of a hassle then anything.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. econjon

econjon

I had it done about 10 years ago by Dr. Seth Riddle out of Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. I highly recommend him but he's hard to get into...my sister in law just tried to get an appointment with him for some ear issues and he was 4 months out...

Anyway, I had the sinus reaming and it was a good decision. I still get sinus infections every few months due to having a combination of bad allergies and undersized sinus passages but in general I can breathe a lot easier and the infections I do get aren't nearly as severe or frequent as they used to be.

Recovery wasn't bad at all. I took the better part of a week off work but I wasn't really laid up for more than a good day before I was up and doing stuff around the house. The pain wasn't unbearable, in fact I didn't feel a need to use the Lortab or whatever was prescribed, I just got by on Tylenol or aspirin for the first few days then didn't need anything after that. Mainly just delt with some swelling and drainage for a few days but once that cleared up I was good to go. I would do it again if I felt a need to but it's been good so far. Well worth it.

12. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

13. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

It's cool. I've had the roro-rooter job and it helped. At least I no longer get the infections every 6 weeks.