close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sinus Sufferers, Please Step-in

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I have chronic sinusitis: perpetual sinus blockage that causes sinus pressure and headaches. Since the sinus pathways are blocked, the mucus that is supposed to flow freely through the sinus system doesn't move and gets infected and turns into a nasty green goop that backs things up even more. Breathing through the nose can be non-existent or difficult.

About 10 years ago I did have sinus surgery that opened the block pathways but the cartilage can grow back -- not sure if that's happened.

In the past 2 months I've been though 3 rounds of Omicef antibiotic -- representing 2 visits to the doctor. It helped a lot but has not completely wiped out the infection. I am calling the doctor tomorrow to try and get a stronger antibiotic. I am also taking some good over the counter decongestants that help -- Musenex DM. I also have a Neti-pot that flushes things out but not completely.

What do you do for your sinus issues? What has helped you? Suggestions, please.

Thanks.

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Air quality has gone downhill everywhere in the past few years. I suffer with sinus problems too. Try biaxin and see if that helps. It seems I go off and on meds all the time and I still blow my nose a lot. Have you tried Singulair?

3. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I broke my nose several years ago and had years of problems with my sinuses from the damage and scar tissue that formed along the cracks in my sinus cavities. I went to many doctors who gave me every antibiotic and decongestant on the market but nothing worked for long. Then someone suggested a Neti Pot. Just flush one side then the other and blow to clear the sinuses. Problem was gone in one week.

5. 69 Mach One

69 Mach One

The neti-pot works for me when I'm totally stuffed up & Tylenol sinus usually works. For drainage & cough I use Robitussin DM. Hope that helps but sounds like you might have had some regrowth if it is constant. My symptoms are sporatic with seasons & air quality. Good luck.

6. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

neil med is easier to use and cleaner.

7. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

I like ths stuff too but damn its no fun to use!

8. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Had sinus surgery many years ago. I had chronic sinus infections and lots of allergies....some of which have just subsided over the years...might be something you want to check into though if you haven't already and get tested for allergies. Also had nasal polyps which may or may not have been brought on as a result of the chronic infections.

Since the surgery I've been much better, but I still have my moments.

I find that a few doses of Nasonex nasal spray a week helps. Things like Singulair for the allergies is pretty good too.

The big difference maker for me though is Predisone. It is a steroid and I've been on it for many many years for asthma and the allergies and I've found that when my sinus issues flair up big time, I pop a few of those and I can breath but more important I get my sense of smell back. There's nothing worse than not being able to smell because of course it also drastically affects your ability to taste. Talk to your doctor about Predisone, it's mainly for reducing swelling and there's some debate/concerns as to long term usage of it. For me personally, I've suffered no ill affects from it at all and don't take it daily. I've been taking it for 15 years now I should note.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  9. rboatright

rboatright

Neti pot useful, Nel Med squeeze bottle 10x as useful.

Here are the realities.

1) Use the sinus rinse at least 2x a day. Using it at lunch also is even better. I leave one at work.

2) use of pseudephed (the D part of Mucinex DM over a long period is a problem. Get the non D part and take pseudephed as you need to seperately.

3) Use Walgreen's generic guifenisen instead of mucinex at a small fraction of the cost, take 2 3x a day to keep your mucus from getting thick.

4) Stay hydrated. Keep count of all your fluids and make sure they add up to a gallon a day, NOT counting any sugared drinks.

5) You can not solve allergies with a knife. Your sinus inflammation starts somewhere. Arrange a consult with an allergist or with an ENT who also practices allergies.

6) Nasal steroids (Nasonex, Flonase, etc) work. But if your allergies are bad, 2 puffs in each nostril every day will do for your nose what Magus's oral steroids do for his whole body.

7) Astelin works. It's very expensive, but unlike other decongestant nasal sprays does not have a "bounce" You can use it every day. But it can't work on tissue it can't reach, so use the nasal rinse FIRST, then tilt your head to ensure that the sinuses are as drained as they can be, and THEN use the astelin (and the nasonex)

8) It is possible that your persistant sinus infection is the result of a fungal infection. This happens. Oral anti-fungals coupled with topical anti-fungals delivered to the nose through a nebulizer works very well. Your doctor will have to have mucus samples sent off to a lab to determine if you have a fungal sinus infection. Discuss it with him and get the testing done.

10. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

Anything I spray up my nose only makes sinuses worse. I'm scared to try the nasal dooshes but heard they work pretty good from a few people. I get sinus headaches with every storm front or baro. pressure change. I usually take 3 Excedrin migraine (high caffeine content), and a cup or 2 of coffee. That usually works for me.

11. Lawnboy

Lawnboy

Good old fashioned Benadryl is still my go to problem solver. It messes with alot of people but the only thing that can give me relief sometimes.

12. yam

yam

I had a bad sinus infection a few weeks ago. I read on line to try a nettie pot with saline solution and a few drops of Betadine solution. I used 4 drops. Within an hour you would not believe the green nastiness that came out. The next morning I was clear. YMMV.

13. thisaway

thisaway

I have chronic sinus drainage, but I believe it is a side-effect of my blood-pressure medication (Lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor).

14. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Called the doctor this morning to get a stronger antibiotic. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the input.

15. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Sounds like your beyond meds man, good luck!

16. silverdet

silverdet

A good thing you do not live in Louisiana because it would kill you with the high humidity we have. I stay with sinus problems like most people here. My wife insist its the smoking which I know does not help. Its rough during the summer months. Good luck.

17. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I've been suffereing from a sinus infection all year. I use the Neilmed bottle for some relief, but the darn thing keeps coming back. Finally they sent me to the allergist who found out I'm allergic to everything. I bought a dust-mite proof pillow cover and have been taking Claratin every day now to see if it can help.

The theory is the allergy causes constant drainage which has been causing repeated sinus infections. Not sure I believe that... but what can I do.

I'll keep watching this thread eagerly. I really don't like taking antibiotics. It can't be good to take them 5-6 times a year.

18. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Thanks. If this antibiotic doesn't work then I'll probably need a CT scan of my sinus system to determine what's going on up there. I really, really hope there isn't more cartilage and polyup growth going on there that's clogging things. If that's the case, from past experience, I'll probably need more sinus surgery again. That, my friend, is something that I would never wish on my worst enemy because it is so very painful and miserable.

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Air quality was mentioned by Juney Booney and I have to agree... this weekend I was in Sonora for the opening Celtic games... and the whole time there I had none of the "normal" issues with allergies and sinus congestion. I was breathing freely AND wasn't honking 20 pounds of snot out in the morning after I woke up. The only thing that changed was location.

The air was clean and fresh... this was validated as soon as I got close to San Jose on the way home last night... this morning, i woke up with a nasty sinus headache (almost gone now... :upeyes: ) and about 40 pounds of snot needing to be forcefully expelled! Colorado is looking pretty good now, just need to find a damn job so I can leave liberalville...

20. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

Sinusbuster works for me. Be forewarned though, the first time is an eye-opener.
    :burn: